FAA Requirements and FAA's B4UFly app

Reaction score
I had a P3A around 7-8 months ago and sold it due to lack of use and some financial issues but I just ordered another one. I already signed up for the FAA registry which I believe was $5 for 3 years. I found it odd that they didn't even bother asking about what kind of device you would be using or anything like that. They basically just wanted your pedigree info and $5.

They made mention of IOS/Android app called B4UFly which I d/l and installed. In urban areas, according to the app, there is virtually no where you are allowed to fly. I'm sure all this stuff has probably been discussed to no end but as I've mentioned I have been out of the loop for a while. Just thought I would throw this out there to hear some opinions on this FAA registry, whether you guys are actually doing it, and what are your thoughts on their app (if you have installed and used it)

Thanks for any input.

yes I registered but as far as app goes never seen it fly anywhere I like as long as its not close to a airport

I found it odd that they didn't even bother asking about what kind of device you would be using or anything like that.

Who knows how it will all shake out eventually but this method of registration is nearly identical to Amateur Radio License holders.

You do not list every piece of radio equipment you own/use you just use your call-sign when operating.

just downloaded that app it is stupid shows cant fly anywhere that thing is a joke

Reactions: skyhighdiver
The FAA Drone registration is a money making scam and that is IT! Like original post said, they ask for no drone information whatsoever. If this was to "Keep people safe" than they would be getting Make, Model, serial numbers, etc so if some idiot causes a crash MAYBE they could trace down who it was. No, this is nothing more than a scam to get $5 off of every American drone owner. I will not re-register when mine expires, trust me.

its there I downloaded it then got rid of it just as fast showed I cant fly anywhere within 100 miles where I live

3 years from now they will probably raise it to 50 a year its a scam

Reactions: Gary M
I had a P3A around 7-8 months ago and sold it due to lack of use and some financial issues but I just ordered another one. I already signed up for the FAA registry which I believe was $5 for 3 years. I found it odd that they didn't even bother asking about what kind of device you would be using or anything like that. They basically just wanted your pedigree info and $5.

They made mention of IOS/Android app called B4UFly which I d/l and installed. In urban areas, according to the app, there is virtually no where you are allowed to fly. I'm sure all this stuff has probably been discussed to no end but as I've mentioned I have been out of the loop for a while. Just thought I would throw this out there to hear some opinions on this FAA registry, whether you guys are actually doing it, and what are your thoughts on their app (if you have installed and used it)

Thanks for any input.

The APP is showing ALL airports and heliports. My understanding is you only need to contact the "towered" airports within the 5 mile radius per the FAA guidelines. I use the app so I am aware where the helipads are which is basically everywhere. Most tall buildings have one on the roof.

Having said that, the City of LA seems to be using heliports and the 5 mile radius as a means to arrest and gain conviction when needed. we'll see how that goes.

The APP is showing ALL airports and heliports. My understanding is you only need to contact the "towered" airports within the 5 mile radius per the FAA guidelines. I use the app so I am aware where the helipads are which is basically everywhere. Most tall buildings have one on the roof.

Having said that, the City of LA seems to be using heliports and the 5 mile radius as a means to arrest and gain conviction when needed. we'll see how that goes.

can you show where it says "towered"?

I have two heliports here, I simply call them and inform whomever answers that I am flying in the area. They seem to have no issue plus I don't think they have the authority to tell you "no", it's more of alerting them for safety sake.

I'd love to see the "towered" requirement though.

Question for those of you in the know: Do any of you know what minnimum altitude helicopters have to maintain? I imagine that police copters can bend the rule if in pursuit but generally speaking.

Also, like some of you guys said I think it's a major scam. If they really cared about the public yada yada yada they would make you provide make model and serial for you device. It's a money making CYA scam. I feel like a ***** for even signing up and giving them my basic information. Lord knows if I get into something with my drone registering it is not going to help save my ***.

I can't find the app in the Google play store.
That's because it's not there. I've looked three different times over the past month. I have eyeballed the app online from my iPad (which I don't fly with) and I think it's stupid. I should notify all heliports, even unmanned heliports, if I'm within five miles away? Why is it that airmaps.io doesn't include the same restriction? I think it's because nobody really knows what is going on. I am waiting for actual, clear definitions and clear rules on this heliport thing per an official FAA document. And there are none right now. And I think there are none because nobody is really sure how best to deal with the heliports. Eventually they will. Until then, I'll be ignoring the five mile unmanned heliport deal.

can you show where it says "towered"?

I have two heliports here, I simply call them and inform whomever answers that I am flying in the area. They seem to have no issue plus I don't think they have the authority to tell you "no", it's more of alerting them for safety sake.

I'd love to see the "towered" requirement though.

this is from the FAA website - It's a law enforcement guide 2nd page. I keep this as well as the local ordinances with me when I fly. I have law enforcement in the family and they don't know all the rules so my hope is that if I do get stopped by PD, I can prove my right to fly. that's my hope anyway. This verbiage is on other FAA docs as well.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/law_enforcement/media/LEO_guidance_card.pdf

this is from the FAA website - It's a law enforcement guide 2nd page. I keep this as well as the local ordinances with me when I fly. I have law enforcement in the family and they don't know all the rules so my hope is that if I do get stopped by PD, I can prove my right to fly. that's my hope anyway. This verbiage is on other FAA docs as well.

I stand corrected, it says "contact the airport AND tower (if towered). LGB has a UAS page with the number to call the tower. I don't have to call both. I have contacted my local "towered" airport once to advise that I will be flying. The guy on the line kinda reiterated the rules and asked a couple questions. i have flown many times in the city follow all the rules except calling the airport. with the new Los Angeles UAS ordinance and the two they are prosecuting right now, i'll go ahead and make the call.

The FAA Drone registration is a money making scam and that is IT! Like original post said, they ask for no drone information whatsoever. If this was to "Keep people safe" than they would be getting Make, Model, serial numbers, etc so if some idiot causes a crash MAYBE they could trace down who it was. No, this is nothing more than a scam to get $5 off of every American drone owner. I will not re-register when mine expires, trust me.
If you think our bureaucracy is making money from a $5 fee, youre mistaken. I wonder how much tax money goes into the UAS registration thing for hobby fliers- thats the money suck, not you $5 which likely come way short of covering the cost of this hastily put together and ill thought out program.

385 thousand signed up times 5 1,925,000 dollars hum no profit I think not

5. If within 5 miles of airport, must notify airport operator and control tower (if tower)

It clearly says, airport operator..... and if they have the control tower to notify them as well.

If you think our bureaucracy is making money from a $5 fee, youre mistaken. I wonder how much tax money goes into the UAS registration thing for hobby fliers- thats the money suck, not you $5 which likely come way short of covering the cost of this hastily put together and ill thought out program.

aren't they refunding the fee currently?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka