FAA Requirements and FAA's B4UFly app

385 thousand signed up times 5 1,925,000 dollars hum no profit I think not
That was refunded to us.
You have absolutely no idea what percentage of those signed up prior to 4 days ago, but I would assume it is the vast majority. In fact, I believe that number was released before the deadline on the refunds were reached. The statement is simply without merit.

Who knows how it will all shake out eventually but this method of registration is nearly identical to Amateur Radio License holders.

You do not list every piece of radio equipment you own/use you just use your call-sign when operating.
Too bad we can't be self-governed like the Hams.

I had a P3A around 7-8 months ago and sold it due to lack of use and some financial issues but I just ordered another one. I already signed up for the FAA registry which I believe was $5 for 3 years. I found it odd that they didn't even bother asking about what kind of device you would be using or anything like that. They basically just wanted your pedigree info and $5.

They made mention of IOS/Android app called B4UFly which I d/l and installed. In urban areas, according to the app, there is virtually no where you are allowed to fly. I'm sure all this stuff has probably been discussed to no end but as I've mentioned I have been out of the loop for a while. Just thought I would throw this out there to hear some opinions on this FAA registry, whether you guys are actually doing it, and what are your thoughts on their app (if you have installed and used it)

Thanks for any input.
It's not odd. Once you get your certificate number. You need to get stickers created with the number which will create a unique Identification number just for you. Place that sticker on the inside battery of whichever drone you fly over 1/2 pound. That's it. As long as the sticker is there. You are good to go. It will identify you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It would be a good idea to have a copy of your registration available too, which links your name to the registration number which in turn links to the craft. If the police choose to question you, part of the procedure outlined by FAA is to ask you to produce your registration card among other things. An image of it on your phone is okay.

It's not odd. Once you get your certificate number. You need to get stickers created with the number which will create a unique Identification number just for you. Place that sticker on the inside battery of whichever drone you fly over 1/2 pound. That's it. As long as the sticker is there. You are good to go. It will identify you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Not entirely and more than a good idea, as Marknmd eluded to, you must also have the printed or electronic certificate with you.

Makes sense right???

Without the certificate identifying YOU and matching the number on your drone, what good is a label or other marking on an a/c?

If you think our bureaucracy is making money from a $5 fee, youre mistaken. I wonder how much tax money goes into the UAS registration thing for hobby fliers- thats the money suck, not you $5 which likely come way short of covering the cost of this hastily put together and ill thought out program.

Well, generally a money suck would be another good indicator for another crappy beauracratic bs "Regulation" to hit the skids. The registration itself serves no purpose to keeping people safer. Why should we pay for it? Not just the $5 but WE,RE paying the cost in taxes for what it costs them to not mind their own **** business.

Well, generally a money suck would be another good indicator for another crappy beauracratic bs "Regulation" to hit the skids. The registration itself serves no purpose to keeping people safer. Why should we pay for it? Not just the $5 but WE,RE paying the cost in taxes for what it costs them to not mind their own **** business.
you know we agree right?

I used my P touch label printer with gold tape with white letters to print my registration numbers and contact information.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Too bad we can't be self-governed like the Hams.
Amateur radio and the FCC have a 100 year history behind them - a sometimes contentious history. It is early yet. I believe that was the intent with the Model Aircraft Act - to let the AMA be the lead agency. That worked OK until quads like the Phantom came about. Before you had to work at it - it was hard to keep a model aircraft from rapid unscheduled dissassembly. Even with the various Phantom crashes, it really doesn't take much to get them in the air and keep them in the air.

Most traditional RC aircraft had a hard time invading the National Airspace. A Phantom can do this without a second thought.

And even for the most basic amateur license, you have to pass a test showing knowledge of basic radio. This appears to be something the FAA is trying to accomplish but it's hard to do all at once. The Ham radio community has a well organized and time tested system of volunteer examiners. The FAA has to put this together from scratch.

its there I downloaded it then got rid of it just as fast showed I cant fly anywhere within 100 miles where I live
These are the rules. It's shitty. But if you call ATC or the tower for that airport and tell them that you won't be going above the ceiling of 400ft AGL and your location coordinates, then you care covering your ***. Law Enforcement are getting training as we speak. If they see you flying they can question you if you've contacted that ATC and if you're registered. If not, well expect a ticket, confiscation of your drone and possibly arrest, depending on where you're flying.
I've worked for years while I was in the Air Force to lighten up the RPA regulations. If you cause a crash because you didn't follow the rules, then it's your *** too. Then it will ruin it for everyone else too.
I know it sucks, but if you knew how everything actually works, you'd be fine with it.
Just follow the rules and regulations. Don't mess it up for everyone else!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

The B4UFly app is not "stupid", its purpose is prevent operators from getting into trouble flying where they don't belong. The app you might want to avoid is "drone-buddy", which apparently uses old data. The Panama City airport was replaced several year ago but Drone-Buddy still shows the old one (in town) and is missing the new airport (KECP). If you are not in a "good" flying area, it might be a good idea to go find an AMA club.

The registration does serve a necessary function as a piece of the puzzle that may not be clear at this point, but it is necessary for public safety. Be glad they didn't require a license test, like North Carolina. The FAA said that states can't license drones, but NC did anyway. (Try the test. It's a good exercise). Florida's 934.50 is whole other matter, but we can't discuss that here.

This should all start to be sorted out sometime around July.

From flying RPAS in the Air Force and fighting to get them in different types of airspace was hell, but is slowly happening!
Follow the simple rulea, have fun and flt safe!

just saying that app shows you cant fly anywhere in Pinellas county fl only low aircraft I see is coastguard ever now and then

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik