FAA Requirements and FAA's B4UFly app

I also think the b4ufly app is a little overboard luckily for me dji does not make this same airport as 5 miles. It is an old military airport that is not used much. Surely nobody will harass me over .04miles

10e2d542334001e2d41ec7a0341e6b02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: skyhighdiver
There is no federal law as described above. Try to find it. It will be a fruitless search.
You post this, and a handful of new pilots interpret this to mean they can fly as close to an airport as they want, since "there is no Federal law," is that really what you are advocating? It disturbs me to see posts like this that may make some pilots feel they can fly where ever they want with impunity.

That's because it's not there. I've looked three different times over the past month. I have eyeballed the app online from my iPad (which I don't fly with) and I think it's stupid. I should notify all heliports, even unmanned heliports, if I'm within five miles away? Why is it that airmaps.io doesn't include the same restriction? I think it's because nobody really knows what is going on. I am waiting for actual, clear definitions and clear rules on this heliport thing per an official FAA document. And there are none right now. And I think there are none because nobody is really sure how best to deal with the heliports. Eventually they will. Until then, I'll be ignoring the five mile unmanned heliport deal.
Im with you i would have to call between 4 and 8 phone numbers every time i fly if i go by fAA heliports not practical i do call main airport if to close but im not calling every tom **** and harry spot that can land a helicopter

In my neck of the woods, AirMAP is a way off. This is what I lose sleep over when I think about all the leg work the DJI GEO system is going to make me do.

In Toms River, NJ, there are three airports to contend with, Lakehurst (military, towered), Lakewood (civil, non-towered), and Miller (civil, non towered). To those three add two seaplane bases, Allen's and Hummel's. On top of all this, just to my west is military alert area A-220, from the surface to 4500 feet, with high density military traffic surrounding McGuire Air Force Base.

So far, the alert area is no issue, just something to be aware of. Lakehurst refuses entry into their Class D airspace without two way communication, so any flights within 5 miles, recreational or commercial, are grounded without it. I have a handheld VHF backup for my plane, but from the ground its only good for about 2 miles. Lakewood has been very kind and always approve requests. I even gave a "Letter of Agreement" to the airport manager, which he is reviewing, and will allow me to fly commercially anywhere in their airspace without a special COA. Same for Miller, though I don't usually go into their airspace.

AirMap moves the center point around for different airports, and when selecting "commercial", it deletes Lakewood all together. Allen's doesn't have a seaplane docked and no one answers the number or returns calls. Hummel's isn't on any current sectional maps, and Allen's, though it appears on the sectional, it is not listed in the FAA airport and facility directory! What's the point of a commercial product like AirMap if its wrong? What other areas are wrong?

For my own piece of mind, I created a map using "freemaptools.com" and "google/maps" with a 3 and a 5nm radius around each active airport in NJ listed in the AFD (airport facility directory). It really let me see where I could go legally without picking up the phone. I uploaded that to my iPad Air 2, along with digital downloads of current New York and Washington sectional maps and an AFD (airport facility directory).

This whole process of gaining a Section 333 exemption, and trying to stay legal has been brutal. And I've had a private pilot license for 15 years! How the hell is a guy with no aviation experience supposed to figure all this out, let alone some 15 year old that just got one?

I think the whole thing would be a lot easier if drones (excuse me, small UAS) were restricted to a 400 foot ceiling, clear of clouds, and outside of 3 miles of any airport. No IFR approaches for manned aircraft are below 600 feet at 1.7 miles, so UAS and manned aircraft should never exchange paint. Manned aircraft should be restricted to a 500 foot floor outside of airport traffic patterns or within one half mile of heliports. No one should be flying manned aircraft any lower, with the exception of medical/emergency/military helicopters, which should perform a half mile circle at 500 feet before executing a landing. At this point, drones outnumber manned aircraft anyway. Wow! I solved the whole problem in a paragraph!

Reactions: yorlik
Airmap is not perfect but I like it a heck of a lot more than b4ufly. I consider airmaps an evolving app. I like that you can click the boxes to give you info in certain situations. If you have a comment, you can click at the bottom and make a suggestion and they may very well work it into the map.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20