FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to AMA letter you should hold on with registering.
My guess is they working still on some deal.

I'm trying to follow your logic here. You wrote the above in response to a "This [Registration] does not make it safer" comment.

Injury/harm happens from two possible causes - intentional or accidental. Dumb actions can fall into either category, although they almost always increase the changes of injury.

Let's take accidental. That would typically include operator error or equipment malfunction. I don't think anyone would argue that registration (or even education) would eliminate possibility of an accident. An accident, by definition, is an accident. The only way to eliminate the possibility is to eliminate the activity.

Then there is intentional. Let's break that down into two types... 1. Someone who plans to harm someone else. and 2. Someone doing something they know they shouldn't but doesn't think it will result in harm.

The first group - I think we can agree that registration will not prevent someone from intentionally harming someone else. That's the case even if they register. More likely they will not register. If they do, it is simply enough to not include their number on their craft.

That leaves the "uneducated." I agree that education can HELP to prevent these problems. However, the registration effort currently included NO education of any kind. If actually includes no additional rules of any kind. The same FAA "guidelines" are still in place. There is the problem that these are circulated as guidelines, with an understanding they are not enforceable. (what IS the penalty for flying at 401ft? How do they enforce it?)

With all the publicity surrounding drones, it is hard to believe that these people don't know what the rules are. Common sense would tell anyone not to fly near an active airport or close to aircraft. We shouldn't need rules for that because anyone who does it is the type of person who wouldn't follow such obvious rules in the first place.

Rules with clearly defined penalties would do something to stop SOME of these flyers. Those rules, however, have nothing to do with registration.

Whether or not you agree with the registration plan, it simply has ZERO effect on safety. At most, it will allow the _owner_ (not necessarily operator) to be tracked down when a)drone is registered, b)drone is recovered, c)registration number is placed on device, d)registration number is readable after recovery.

Even in that rare situation where all the stars align and the unsafe flyer is found, that can only happen AFTER the incident. In no way can it PREVENT the incident.

You can argue that registration makes for better accountability (in a small percentage of situations). You can revoke a registration when an infraction occurs. However, that all takes place AFTER the unsafe act has already occurred. There is no argument for registration alone (which is all we have) making anything safer.
....I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for taking the time to try to explain

I love all the deep theory about how registration will not do anything for safety. The problem is every example of registration demonstrates otherwise. It's really simple: Registration creates accountability. Accountability makes most people think twice.

But, I would give you that it alone is not enough. Which is why I think every drone operator should be required to have a license. One that requires the applicant to demonstrate knowledge of airspace, standard operations and safety.

Too many people think these are mere toys. They think there are no repercussions of using it without any knowledge of it.

I love all the deep theory about how registration will not do anything for safety. The problem is every example of registration demonstrates otherwise. It's really simple: Registration creates accountability. Accountability makes most people think twice.

For gods sake! After 57 pages, don't you PRO-UAS Registration guys get it????

Some of us don't want to be compelled by our government to give up our privacy when we've done NOTHING wrong and WITHOUT due process!

Let's assume your above statement is 100% valid (I don't but let's say it is)..... Who freaking cares? Using this logic, we should all be compelled to provide our fingerprints, a DNA sample, a retnal scan, voice sample and any other personal identifiers the government deems necessary..... Think of all the REAL crimes this would prevent by making people "think twice" by building the ultimate database LE can access at anytime for any reason without a warrant.

So here is the 900lb gorilla in the room.......where does it all end????

Note: the above is a serious question. What are the limits if any?

But, I would give you that it alone is not enough. Which is why I think every drone operator should be required to have a license. One that requires the applicant to demonstrate knowledge of airspace, standard operations and safety.

Too many people think these are mere toys. They think there are no repercussions of using it without any knowledge of it.
You have NO more proof that registration will do Anything. As we have seen, Accountability doesn't do JACK. It only keeps people like you reminded not to mess up.
Ok, yesterday people who considered them as toys, tomorrow will think of them as toys they had to register..... whoopty do, they wont care.
I can sit here and say the same......you have Zero, NO, none, nada proof that registration does Anything. Youve had plenty of people prance tons of proof of other examples of why registration doesnt do anything for safety. Now why not you take a turn? Id love you to show proof that it will. Now we have groups like AMA back peddling. Hmmmm. Its because yes there is a problem, but this (registration) is Not the answer.

Last edited:
Reactions: RKBA
Best plan for those of you who are against government regulation is to ignore any regulation you want. Also feel free to defend your position in the legislature or court.

For others, like me, that believe that some regulations are OK, we will support and comply those regs. That doesn't make us lackey spineless government drones any more than your positions make you terroristic anarchists

That's what this free society is all about.

You have NO more proof that registration will do Anything. As we have seen, Accountability doesn't do JACK. It only keeps people like you reminded not to mess up.
Ok, yesterday people who considered them as toys, tomorrow will think of them as toys they had to register..... whoopty do, they wont care.
I can sit here and say the same......you have Zero, NO, none, nada proof that registration does Anything. Youve had plenty of people prance tons of proof of other examples of why registration doesnt do anything for safety. Now why not you take a turn? Id love you to show proof that it will. Now we have groups like AMA back peddling. Hmmmm. Its because yes there is a problem, but this (registration) is Not the answer.

You registered on this site so we can hold you accountable to your actions.

Can anybody tell me where to find the serial number on my P3a or do we have them
By the battery box or in the original retail box.

A friend of the family is a real airline pilot and I spoke to him last night about these hitting a plane and he said, they hit birds all the time and it doesn't really cause a problem. plastic is no tougher than bone.
so even in the very rare chance one of these got sucked into an engine, it's probably not going to bring it down. I certainly wouldn't want to find out. but there isn't any real evidence that panic is warranted either.

Planes also fly hundreds of miles per hour at 20-40k feet typically. I doubt our little drones are going to be able to catch up with one..

save someone doing that while they are on the ground at an airport. but in that situation, those folks are intending to do harm no matter what. making people register or keep drones LOS, isn't going to change that one bit.
FAA receives reports of drone sightings from manned aircraft somewhere in the US each day, some as high as 2500 ft, some very close, although there has not yet been a collision, it's only a matter of time, registration will cause owners to acknowledge safety guidelines in an effort to reduce the risk of these aircraft mixing with manned aircraft.

How about 5 bucks to go toward the airplane avoidance system imagined by JKD. I could support something that actually makes sense for UAV operators and not cents for the FAA bureaucrats.
The 5 bucks goes to supporting the cost of the registration system, rather than burdening all the taxpayers that don't own drones with shouldering this expense.

lol.
Here we go again. He who gives up a bit of freedom for any amount of security....deserves neither. (was that Ben Franklin?)
Drone registration isn't about security, it's about familiarizing drone operators with the standards for operating in the NAS.

UP to those amounts.... it's meant to set the upper limit. It doesn't mean they will fine that much....
The highest fines are for criminal activity, not operating in controlled airspace, those are reserved for operators involved in nefarious activity.

You know, planes use transponders.

All they had to do was create a circuit that triangulated that signal and if it was calculated to approach within X number of feet from an aircraft, the drone could be ordered (via it's own navigation system) to immediately move away from that flight path (up, down, left or right)

Brilliance. Problem solved. TY ;)
They are already working on that technology, it's called ADS-B.

Bigger picture...
It's the beginning of the old follow the money rule, everybody's complaining about the $5.00 but who runs the country again? The $5 is going to be the beginning of the new drone insurance laws that will come out next. 3 year registration, like a boat or trailer in some states to start is just the beginning. The insurance companies will be raising the bar as high as they can after it becomes the law.
There is no precedence for insurance on manned aircraft, it's totally an option, FAA has no interest in requiring insurance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heres another very important problem with your comparison......
Also there is a difference between a democracy and dictatorship. The US has checks and balances (democracy) to prevent 1 from becoming too powerful and doing more harm than good to its people as in a dictatorship.

They will, if the pilot was trying to frame someone else for their nefarious acts!:eek:

So true. Haha. Next time you see someone flying, ask to see their registration documents (on a side note, is anyone allowed to ask anyone else for their registration???) write down their number on your quad. This is so crazy. People's numbers will be written in sharpie, its not like they will be giving out official license plates. I really fail to see how this scheme is going to help anything, in any way.

FAA receives reports of drone sightings from manned aircraft somewhere in the US each day, some as high as 2500 ft, some very close, although there has not yet been a collision, it's only a matter of time, registration will cause owners to acknowledge safety guidelines in an effort to reduce the risk of these aircraft mixing with manned aircraft.
Welcome to the forum, you sure are blowing a lot of smoke... Just show us the facts on your post here above instead of blowing meaningless smoke on all of your answers. All I'm asking for is answers to the one above. With as you say it's happening each day then you should be able to come up with a lot.

.....yes there are also over 10,000 reported UFO sightings.... does that mean they are real? could many of them be govt contractors not reported to general public?(1 of which Ive done work for)

The 5 bucks goes to supporting the cost of the registration system, rather than burdening all the taxpayers that don't own drones with shouldering this expense.
.....what does this do for safety?? nothing

Drone registration isn't about security, it's about familiarizing drone operators with the standards for operating in the NAS.
By registering, what has it taught about anything for safety??? nothing

The highest fines are for criminal activity, not operating in controlled airspace, those are reserved for operators involved in nefarious activity.
... the same "operators involved in nefarious activity" will NOT register. explain why would they.

They are already working on that technology, it's called ADS-B.
Then wait till its right to use it. Not cause a quagmire meanwhile allowing to expose innocent people to law suits, with No protection to the pilot.

There is no precedence for insurance on manned aircraft, it's totally an option, FAA has no interest in requiring insurance.
Insurance would do more to protect the innocent, and harmed in the case of an accident. Sounds like FAA has done nothing for safety or protecting people. Just a database that good people will pay to be on a public list that AMA doesnt want with such a decent safety record.

popcorn.gif

Exactly.

Accountability is _reactive_. You can only hold someone accountable AFTER they break a rule. Registration does nothing to prevent a rule being broken.

I am glad you have seen the light on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka