FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, my reference to the media has got a lot of panties in a wad this morning.
That's ok guys, spread that anger around. Keeps me laughing.

Now go call the FAA and actually do something that matters.

Reactions: BigAl07
202-267-6556

Direct number to the FAA - please call them and register your concerns, ask your questions, get informed.

GadgetGuy, you can ask them if you will be able to access anyone's registration number for your own nefarious deeds - since you so enjoy spreading that unfounded rumor.

Now, I wonder how many of you will actually call as opposed to posting your same fears ad nauseam here where they mean nothing.
If you feel So confident that there will Not be an issue, I challenge you once you have it, to post your personal UAV registered number here on the forum. :dizzy:

That's pretty rude. I like how you don't address it to anyone directly so it's not a 'personal' attack, it's just a general attack of everyone that disagrees with you.
Sounds like this........ [DO NOT REPOST DELETED MATERIAL]

Last edited by a moderator:
We should all take our UAV's down to the Police station and turn them in and be rid of them...
Hmmm, this is what I am hearing from some people here and honestly, thinking about getting rid of your UAV because of this registration is acting incredibly irrational. Why? Because Drone Ban is not the FAA's point or anyone else's. Do I see a future where you will be carrying a license? Well yes, you will be carrying your registration first as it says but it will become a license in years to come that hopefully there will be a class to possess with an age limit for an adults toy. Like it says on some of the boxes when you buy them, "For ages 14 and over"... Maybe that will become 18 and over but that's it, if it ever happens. I don't see a ban in the future but I do see training and is this a good thing? Maybe... If you look at some of the crashes, there have been some accidents that were pretty stupid and at the very least one of you UAV loving writers should write the next #1 Best seller... Drones for Dummies... Drones like computers are here to stay.
i see the points others are saying here. you cannot fly a fixed wing plane in your neighborhood and the same will apply to the quads. local cities will make them illegal at some point. unless they get paid for with a permit. again, as i've said before, hobbyists will get placed in a park with the other RC guys and commercial users will pay permits and fees. drones are banned in all national parks now, so yes, more banning to come. and like a gun, we can own them, registered and all, but we cannot just go out our back door and discharge them. (most of us in city areas) of course. we go to shooting ranges and pay a fee. these growing rules will deter some consumers from purchase, yes.

Imagine this...
I'm driving around near my rural town, hoping to get some footage that can help my daughter with her "Farming the South" project she has to put together at Clemson (Go Tigers! Lol).
I see a great cornfield, so I pull over and pull out my P3. I get some great video from 50' up and just as I'm finishing up a county Sherriff pulls up.
He gets out and the exchange goes something like this after the common what are you doing type questions:
Officer: Do you have a permit to fly that drone?
Me: Yes sir. (And I show him my registration number)
Officer: Did you get the owner's permission to fly over his field?
Me: Ummm, no sir.
Officer: Did you file a flight plan with the FAA?
Me: No sir.
Officer: Well sorry sir, but I'm going to have to report you.

And then a month later I get a fine in the mail from the FAA for $500? $1000?
It's anybody's guess what they might try to do.
Now is this scenario likely? Right now, no. Not even a little bit. In two or three years? In my mind it's probable in that time frame.
Or it'll be communicated before hand by some required class (at how much cost to me?) that I have to get the land owners permission to fly over his property. So maybe the scenario is avoided. But it's all the same to me. I think many restrictions are coming in where and how we fly. Of course, unless this is repealed, I'm taking my P3 back the beginning of January...
Just putting my thought process out there as to why I'm taking mine back (probably).

i see the points others are saying here. you cannot fly a fixed wing plane in your neighborhood and the same will apply to the quads. local cities will make them illegal at some point. unless they get paid for with a permit. again, as i've said before, hobbyists will get placed in a park with the other RC guys and commercial users will pay permits and fees. drones are banned in all national parks now, so yes, more banning to come. and like a gun, we can own them, registered and all, but we cannot just go out our back door and discharge them. (most of us in city areas) of course. we go to shooting ranges and pay a fee. these growing rules will deter some consumers from purchase, yes.
I totally agree with you. That's my thought as well.
I just can't see spending $1159 (plus tax) to fly a drone at my local field where the only thing to take pictures and video of are the other folks on the flightline. LOL
I guess some will just want fly them around, but I actually bought my P3 to record video...

Also I wouldn't mind registering my drone and undergoing a test or instruction to get habilitation, particularly if that would allow me to fly in more places and with more freedom, without inspiring fear or defiance or any negative feelings or actions from people or authorities. Just like when driving my car. Regulation and registration have a bad (or more) side, but it also adds legitimacy and rights, at least to good users.

I don't think it will lead to ban, quite the opposite it will help legitimate drones. Could be the other way around of curse, there's no way to know for sure so I guess we'll have to walk that path and see.
yes, like your car, you will pay for insurance and registration. at my DMV, there is a sign that says "Driving is a privilege, not a right." yes, you can drive a car without a license and many do also un-insured but you can still own one. us good users follow existing rules and common sense, but now we are on the new wave of regulations based upon those who could care less. at the end of the day, we pay.

I see posts about prohibition, web servers and AR15s. While it is perfectly OK to draw comparisons, jumping into a debate about those comparisons doesn't help this topic. And just a reminder: your political views and opinions on gun control should be kept to yourself unless you are making a direct correlation to the topic at hand. If you do, it had better be brief!

If any of this is confusing, please refer to the community rules (Community Guidelines | DJI Phantom Forum)

EDITORIAL: Drawing comparisons to gun control (or the lack thereof) is pointless. It is polarizing, emotional and a bad analog. Cars and boats and the public roads and waterways they use are a far better analog.

And if you want to allege that this is some sort of political agenda, you had better be ready with facts to back it up. Baseless suspicion will be shut down.

Reactions: Meta4
Imagine this...
I'm driving around near my rural town, hoping to get some footage that can help my daughter with her "Farming the South" project she has to put together at Clemson (Go Tigers! Lol).
I see a great cornfield, so I pull over and pull out my P3. I get some great video from 50' up and just as I'm finishing up a county Sherriff pulls up.
He gets out and the exchange goes something like this after the common what are you doing type questions:

Now is this scenario likely? Right now, no. Not even a little bit. In two or three years? In my mind it's probable in that time frame.
Or it'll be communicated before hand by some required class (at how much cost to me?) that I have to get the land owners permission to fly over his property. So maybe the scenario is avoided. But it's all the same to me. I think many restrictions are coming in where and how we fly. Of course, unless this is repealed, I'm taking my P3 back the beginning of January...
Just putting my thought process out there as to why I'm taking mine back (probably).

Im in the upstate, we should fly sometime!

Imagine this...

I had that similar happen at my church. Luckily, It took my Pastor who's a Chaplin and deals with LEO to come there and set things straight. It wasn't until he showed up that the LEO didnt want to hear no part of anything, other than they are not to be flown because FAA banned them. Were considered country, and have NO current bans at state, county, or any other level. Not near an airport, and I was at a safe distance as well. It was no more than media created ignorance.
I know Im not the only so far to see this. This is All ready showing up and the web site hasn't even opened up.

Reactions: Navigator181
Imagine this...

that could very well happen. plus the added city permit to fly.
but if you knew the land owner and flew over his property, you could probably waive all that trash "required" still being inside FAA rules with airports and flight ceiling. kinda like operating a non-registered vehicle on your farm. it doesnt leave the property.
i would lean on taking some trail of responsibility on your part to show that you performed safely within reason to minimize any public risk.
geez, i almost sound like a lawyer.

I had that similar happen at my church. Luckily, It took my Pastor who's a Chaplin and deals with LEO to come there and set things straight. It wasn't until he showed up that the LEO didnt want to hear no part of anything, other than they are not to be flown because FAA banned them. Were considered country, and have NO current bans at state, county, or any other level. Not near an airport, and I was at a safe distance as well. It was no more than media created ignorance.
I know Im not the only so far to see this. This is All ready showing up and the web site hasn't even opened up.

What state are you in? I'm curious. Sounds like some skeered people. Not surprised with the way the media blows everything out of proportion.

If you feel So confident that there will Not be an issue, I challenge you once you have it, to post your personal UAV registered number here on the forum. :dizzy:
I made it very clear yesterday that I would only show my registration number to an LEO or FAA representative.

You sir are making it very clear that you are trolling here and nothing more. You'd be about the last person I'd be fool enough to give my number to.

Md, Va, DC area. Nestled between 2 bases and DC. Not much room to fly, but Im used to it around here.but there are some nice spots with nice views. A bunch of historical areas in the country that have not yet been deemed Nofly yet.

****Funny thing is, I even have permission to fly on Amish propertyo_O......lol
edit: all though you can only see a horse and buggy at but so many angles.

Reactions: Reed L
I made it very clear yesterday that I would only show my registration number to an LEO or FAA representative.

You sir are making it very clear that you are trolling here and nothing more. You'd be about the last person I'd be fool enough to give my number to.
Yet you are the person who claims that there is Nothing to worry about, Correct??

I fly fixed wings in my cul du sac quite often. There is no law that prevents this.
If you think that flying a fixed wing is limited to an AMA flying field, you are mistaken.

Yet you are the person who claims that there is Nothing to worry about, Correct??
Nothing to worry about with normal people, you appear a bit left of center to me, wouldn't share much with you.

You've spent 2 days telling us how distrustful you are of the government, predicting the downfall of our hobby, and mouthing off to the moderators. Nope, not normal behavior.
And I'm done feeding you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94