FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't say it was requirement, just a possibility. You're trying entirely too hard to discount what he said. He had a point.
As do I, if your paranoia is that crippling, place your registration number in the battery compartment.
Some of you are trying entirely too hard to be fear mongering prophets of doom.

Reactions: Meta4
They regulated CB's back in the day until they lost control of the sheer number of users. I don't expect to be approached to ask for my registration # when flying. Rules are just to enforce when you **** up. But you can bet if fucktards keep pushing the limits and doing the stupid, they will regulate us back to the stone age.
Watch ya mouth dude...enough is enougho_O

This is just the beginning. Just like anything you want to get rid of or control completely, baby steps -- first step is knowing exactly who owns these. Here is the natural progression:

1. Register all. First we need to know exactly who owns these. (Done)
2. Automatic and mandatory upload of flight logs. We need to know where you've been and what you've been doing.
3. Mandatory real time trackers installed on all UAS.
4. Total ban. Turns out our efforts didn't work because a whack job made one at home and blew it up over a crowd. There are too many "legal" UAS around to adequately tell friend-from-foe in real time so we need to clear the skies.
LOL!!! Oh, wait - you really believe that??

Aww let the guys play a little. Its not like they can reach through their screens and choke each other out.
Your post today have you on thin ice. The staff has enough baby sitting to do today thanks to this FAA announcement. Try to keep it on topic & friendly. ;)

Who is TJ anyway? And why is he threatening to ban us?

I get the feeling there is a room full of people, just sitting, watching what we say, and deciding if we should be banned or not. Its kinda like the FAA requiring 13 year olds to register their toys.
I am one of the staff who volunteers their time here to help the forum run smoothly. We only reprimand those who deserve it. I am low on my monthly quota so, you know. ;)

Reactions: Reed L
Or, more likely, none of that will happen. You're another one I am willing to invest in. Send me your address and as soon as the government demands mandatory uploading of all our flight logs... I will send you $100.00. We've all seen how this is exactly what happened with vehicle registration right? Can't drive a car anymore without the government watching..... and now they have GPS! Yikes.... we're doomed.
Oh the end result will happen alright, its just a matter of time. A step or two may be skipped but a ban will come. Outright ban will not happen but its going to feel like one: Right now basically anybody can get this registration permit, but after the first mass casualty incident involving a UAS occurs, its going to change drastically where permits are granted only for select operators who have some critical need to fly (no more hobbyist flying).

Other interim knee-jerk restrictions that will occur will include software hobbling of drone capabilities, something we are already seeing, but when this doesn't work more drastic measures will be undertaken.

The problem is also the FAA themselves. If you don't know the specifics on those rules and do a casual search you tend to find just that 5 mile limit and no info about calling if you are closer.

Great point and Absolute truth.

So where do we learn specifics? Get an opinion from a lawyer? Get an opinion from FAA (which doesn't give private opinions upon which the asker is allowed to rely)?

No. None of these will do it on its own

Each of us is required to familiarize ourselves with the entirety of the FAA regulations as they apply and then make an informed judgment on whether to comply with our understanding.

So let's start a new forum area relating solely to FAA regs. No sniping about each other's opinions or readings of the law. Just a forum division that takes each section of the law and looks at it.

Reactions: aka1ceman
Oh the end result will happen alright, its just a matter of time. A step or two may be skipped but a ban will come. Outright ban will not happen but its going to feel like one: Right now basically anybody can get this registration permit, but after the first mass casualty incident involving a UAS occurs, its going to change drastically where permits are granted only for select operators who have some critical need to fly (no more hobbyist flying).

Other inter knee-jerk restrictions that will occur will include software hobbling of drone capabilities, something we are already seeing, but when this doesn't work more drastic measures will be undertaken.

Yeah just like all the mass casualty incidents recently have forced so much change in what people are allowed to own and use. (And I am not starting the argument that they should) Sorry... I just don't see it going down like you say... I think it's paranoia run amok.

Reactions: Meta4
This is a serious question for forum management:
If someone doesn't register their quad (like me), will they be banned for not "following the rules"?

If someone doesn't register their quad (like me), will they be banned for not "following the rules"?
Well welcome to the forum RKBA :)
Just jump right on in with your first post with both feet !

As do I, if your paranoia is that crippling, place your registration number in the battery compartment.
Its not paranoia that our freedoms have been taken away without a second thought from anyone. You can say ppl are paranoid all day long but I kind of thought this was supposedly the land of the free not the land of registration (you can be here but we want to know what you have and are doing). All that applies unless you are a foreigner then you can get and do whatever you want without a second look. It's just disconcerting that we have to register a toy but millions of refugees dont. Hmm... your UAV may crash into a car so let's register them, but these foreigners may blow up a building with thousands of people inside ahh let them in and give them free stuff while your at it.

This could have been much worse. $5 every 3 years is nothing and you only have to do it for yourself not each aircraft. Thank goodness because some of us have accumulated several over the years.

You're kidding yourself if you think it won't go up in the coming years. This is the birth of another bureaucracy, one that will come bloated and heavy handed in its enforcement in the future.

No, just pointing out how the process is meaningless because of how easy it is to bypass or copy. The same could happen if he lost the drone and someone else found it. There will probably be websites dedicated to "valid registration numbers" for money... blank cert letters for you to carry around, etc.

Yeah just like all the mass casualty incidents recently have forced so much change in what people are allowed to own and use. (And I am not starting the argument that they should) Sorry... I just don't see it going down like you say... I think it's paranoia run amok.
Oh things are going to change the first time one of these explodes over a crowd. You speak of paranoia, well that's true because there is already a huge amount of unfounded paranoia in the general public directed at "drones" and unfortunately when one is used nefariously things will change quickly, and negatively, for drone owners. Not to start a guns-to-drones comparison, but if that's what your referring by noting the "lack of change after mass casualty incidents recently", the fact is guns have a huge amount of public buy-in and support that is extremely difficult to overcome, not to mention a constitutional amendment and active gun lobby. Drones don't enjoy the same support.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

Do you mean here? We have no way of knowing if you did or didn't and thesis a privately owned forum. We don't enforce rules that are not our own. ;)
It is however in your best interest to register as getting caught will not be a pleasant experience.

This just in from AMA

AMA and the FAA Registration Process

Today the FAA announced plans for a model aircraft registration process to begin next week. AMA was a member of the task force that helped develop recommendations for this registration rule and argued throughout the process that registration makes sense at some level but only for those operating outside the guidance of a community-based organization or flying for commercial purposes.

Unfortunately, the new FAA registration rule does not include our advice. The rule is counter to Congress's intent in the Special Rule for Model Aircraft and makes the registration process an unnecessary burden for all of our members who have been operating safely for decades.

While we are disappointed with the new registration rule and still maintain that AMA members should be exempt from registration, the rule is being implemented over AMA objections. Therefore, we want to provide you with important information about the registration rule and how AMA members can comply with the new federal requirements:

All aircraft that are flown using a ground control system, such as a transmitter, are required to participate. This includes fixed-wing aircraft, not just multirotors or drones.
Any pilot flying models weighing between .55 pounds (or 250 grams) and 55 lbs is required to register.
You will not be required to register every aircraft individually. You only need to register yourself and can affix one registration number to all your aircraft.
You must mark all aircraft with your registration number. The number can be inside the aircraft, such as a battery hatch - but should not require tools to access.
The FAA plans to launch the online registration website on Monday, December 21.
There is a $5 fee to register, which is waived if you register within the first 30 days.
You only need to register once every 3 years.
We are still working out the logistics for this process. Some details are still being discussed, including:
We are seriously discussing with the FAA a system where your AMA number could be used as your federal registration number as well. At this point, this is only a proposal and details are not yet finalized.
At this time, AMA members will not automatically be registered when the registration website launches next week. However, we are in conversations with the FAA about the best way to streamline the registration process for AMA members going forward.
This is an ongoing process and we will continue to provide updates on the registration rule. Stay tuned to modelaircraft.org/gov, social media and your email for the latest news on the registration process.

Thank you,
AMA Government Relations and Advocacy Team

Reactions: Flyer91
Wow. Be careful what you say.

Be careful what you say. Our conversations are being watched. And I for one have been threatened with being banned from the sight. Just sayin.....
Don't over egg it. The moderators have asked a couple of people to calm down and watch their language. That's good news for those if us who don't enjoy forum rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor