FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this be an illegal flight?

a849cd23aa46c359447b96452f342c6b.jpg
It would be if it were an active airport and without ATC permission. Oh look at the tents on the left runway - could it be a model aircraft competition? The taxiway on the right has a barrier across it, and I have never seen airport markings likt that on the left sice of the main runway. I would guess that this is a decommissioned military field.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
As I read it, it's only UAS, which I don't believe that fits the definition.
Do you agree a fixed wing RC aircraft fits this description? Is it not an unmanned aircraft? After all the FAA deemed model RC aircraft (not just quads) the same as full scale aircraft.

"In the sUAS Operation and Certification NPRM, the FAA proposed to define “unmanned aircraft” as “an aircraft operated without the possibility of direct human intervention from within or on the aircraft.”21 This proposed definition would codify the statutory definition of “unmanned aircraft” specified in Public Law 112-95.22"

Fixed Wing, Rotory (heli and MR) and anything else that you can RC and it flies is an UAS.

Fantastic and Yowza. Guess I owe Steve another YouTube example of a drone over a airfield. LOL
Maybe this would qualify......
And you know for a fact that the drone operator didn't have permission of the airport manager? Maybe the drone operator IS the airport manager. You know otherwise?

Yeah, and now they have these "star bright" laser contraptions that light up your house for the holidays. They literally have hundreds, maybe thousands of lasers pointing at your house. And some of them miss the house and go streaking of in the sky, possibly to hit some pilot in the eye while he's trying to land. I think everyone who buys one of those should have to register.....LMAO
Yup. Got a house a block away from me at a slightly higher elevation with one of these - I now have "lasers" hitting my master bath windows all night long, from the next block over!

If you read it you should know the answer then. You'll have plenty of time to look it over now that you earned yourself a vacation.

To everyone else - We are serious about giving out bans. Do not violate the rules or expect it.

It is to get your attention... did it work? If not let me know how long of a break you desire.
Got your back on this one TJ

The airport video is a fake.
At :02 when the drone takes off, the grass beneath it doesn't move.
At :04 when the drone hovers briefly a couple of feet above the ground you should see the grass reacting to the downdraft.
In fact, nothing in the image moves BUT the drone. The "Airport" is a still photo. Note particularly the twin-engine aircraft on the taxiway.
At :21 the camera zooms in and everything appears larger except for the drone.
And the shadows are just wrong. At :16 notice that the shadow under the Beechcraft in the background is almost straight down below the aircraft, while the drone's shadow is offset.
And the drone is locked dead center of the frame. There is no way a cameraman can track a moving object with that kind of precision.

Here's the SAME AIRPORT with a model helicopter. Also a fake.

The video is a screen capture from a Phoenix Flight Simulator. not an example of someone flying a drone at an airport.

Second video, flying over 400 ft is not a violation of FAA rules. Stupid, but not illegal.
I'll give you the third one as probably a TFR violation: NOTAM 9/5151.

You are late to the party Steve. I already was advised that the first video was however lifelike just a flight simulator. Al noted that and I agreed and provided another video of similar behavior that does not appear to be a flight sim. Check back a few pages and you will find my acknowledgement.

I knew you would be the guy to nitpick but I ask you, what good is it doing you or the rest of the community to play silly buggers over the technical use of the word "legal".

Yes flying over 400 feet is simply a guideline but as you yourself have argued that if this high flying video come across an FAA review, they may consider it a violation of the air safety catch all paragraphs and prosecute that way. So in that case, whether high altitude flights are "illegal" is a distinction that has no significance. Now, add to all this the fact that the FAA can enforce non registration regulations as a backup, you aren't assisting anyone by arguing the minutiae of whether something is "illegal" or not.

I know lawyers, like me, argue the meaning of words all the time, however it is in a different forum, usual a courtroom or hearing room where all understand, not a public forum where some can be misled into believing they can do whatever they want because it isn't "illegal".

Reactions: Meta4
Let me see your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. Or.. your fishing license, or your hunting license... how about your permit to build here? Yeah... we're breaking new ground here.
yeah, I have to show my ID every time I buy over the counter antihistamines. Guberment gots me on its watch list now.....(snicker).

Reactions: Buckaye
As I read it, it's only UAS, which I don't believe that fits the definition.

It really depends on what definition you go by. Unmanned aircraft system can refer to both fixed wing and rotor craft. When you look at the FAA site it seems to highlight rotor-craft - but other sites clearly list fixed winged craft in their definition.

Here is what a 5lb Seagull can do to a small plane. About the same weight as my Phantom, a bit lighter than some of my other quads:

The FAA should ban all seagulls over 5lbs from flying near airplanes then.
force them to register. that will solve the problem i'm sure of it.

I'm not against safety. but a recent study shows > 90% of all sightings and close calls were within 5 miles of an airport. where they shouldn't be flown anyways.

And you know for a fact that the drone operator didn't have permission of the airport manager? Maybe the drone operator IS the airport manager. You know otherwise?
Too many people are misinformed on the rules. Many think you can not fly a UAV under any circumstances at or near the 5 mile radius of an airport which is simple not true as of today anyways. Like I said earlier, to many new folks with no or misinformed knowledge of the rules.

So how do you actually register?

It would be if it were an active airport and without ATC permission. Oh look at the tents on the left runway - could it be a model aircraft competition? The taxiway on the right has a barrier across it, and I have never seen airport markings likt that on the left sice of the main runway. I would guess that this is a decommissioned military field.

Hahahahah , it is a great place to fly.

That runway must be 4000 some feet long.

Fixed Wing, Rotory (heli and MR) and anything else that you can RC and it flies is an UAS.

In that case, I stand by my prior statement, since this will cover millions of people now.

I'll will be shocked and amazed if the gov't is able to set up a SECURE web site in less than 2 weeks when it was unable to do the same with healthcare.gov and they had 3 years and a year after being told of security holes, they still had not fixed those. Can't wait to see how many credit cards are hacked from this cluster... and no one will lose their job, just more of our tax dollars.

All it takes is one person to put it on the outside but I'm sure noone will do that especially after hearing all the smart comments on this thread. I like how all your replies start out trying to belittle the person lol.
No really, you said if someone saw you flying, they could steal your registration number. That would require towing a banner to be seen from the ground.
I was simply replying to what you implied. Sorry if that made you feel belittled. I'll try to be more gentle in my responses. :(

Do you know he did? If I was the FAA I would be all over this guy and maybe fine him for flying recklessly at temperatures which are low enough to possibly cause battery failure which would endanger the personal property of others.
The point isn't whether the action is illegal or legal it is whether it gives the appearance of being legal or illegal.
I believe the action IS in fact illegal and that's what matters to the FAA. They will follow up at that point

So you're suggesting there is no difference between the way a bird thinks and they way a human being thinks? Lord help us.....

I'm not against safety. but a recent study shows > 90% of all sightings and close calls were within 5 miles of an airport. where they shouldn't be flown anyways.

I think they do use falcon (during down time) and other birds of pray to keep them seagulls and pigeons in check. Different measures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94