FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
RC copters and planes have been flown for god knows how long, then quads/drones come out, and all of a sudden the FAA wants to get involved?
The FAA has always been involved. Quads & Hex's changed the game. Fixed wing flyers are typically flying in an approved model air field. They usually require assembly and know how and not many had camera or FPV. The current crop of UAV's even toys have FPV and more. Also anyone with the money can buy one, open the box and takeoff. Many of those, in fact I will go as far as saying most of those buyers had no prior RC experience at all. So you have uneducated (in RC's) people buying in droves and setting them free without so much as looking at a manual let alone any aircraft or airspace knowledge. I hate to say it but these creations have degraded the hobby.

You're required to have the "Certificate" available (either printed or electronic) which should do the same thing should the need arise. Take advantage of the tool if you can.

More about making it look more formal and official. Perhaps add a badge. "Officer, I am a REGISTERED pilot flying with the full authority granted by the FAA."

I have been a private pilot for a lot of years and have yet to encounter a drone in flight, and if it did run in to my 172 I think that it would be less or equivalent to a bird strike. This is similar to what the FCC did to the CB radio craze back in the 70's. They tried to force every CB'er to get a FCC license and use their call letter on the air...that didn't work out too well . :)

I will register my drone, but will do so under protest. I think It would be far more important to register owners of laser pointers rather than drone owners.
Yeah, and now they have these "star bright" laser contraptions that light up your house for the holidays. They literally have hundreds, maybe thousands of lasers pointing at your house. And some of them miss the house and go streaking of in the sky, possibly to hit some pilot in the eye while he's trying to land. I think everyone who buys one of those should have to register.....LMAO

Reactions: joe21 and aka1ceman
Yeah, and now they have these "star bright" laser contraptions that light up your house for the holidays. They literally have hundreds, maybe thousands of lasers pointing at your house. And some of them miss the house and go streaking of in the sky, possibly to hit some pilot in the eye while he's trying to land. I think everyone who buys one of those should have to register.....LMAO

Hey...I've been looking for those all over town where I live....sold out! LOL Was going to order it online but figure I'll just wait until next year.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yeah .. it's a real shame I can't just beat the stupid AH senseless, that flew up here during the Bass Lake fire and caused the tankers to be delayed for almost a half hour, while my neighborhood burned.

But **** ... there's a law against that .... even if the beating is deserved, because we want security that Franklin (and you) said we don't deserve .....
C'mon, use some brain in your reply instead of parroting a quaint colloquialism.

Whether I like this law or not, I'm going to make the best out of it ...instead of whimpering away like a beat pup, quoting something that makes people trying to find the best in a situation, out to be cowards.

Since you are so full of Franklin ... where exactly is your campaign to repeal it, or are you just talk?

Last time.....(and heed your own advice about using some brain if you can)
I'm not against LAWS that punish people who do wrong. Go get em.
What I'm against is regulations that are pure nonsense that will only punish those who already play nice.

Sure, the idiot who did that was wrong. Punish HIM, not everyone.
Again, your ilk keep assuming (incorrectly) that I imply a free for all where anything goes. Last time....wrong.

And that is really weak to sit back and wait for someone else to do your work.

Ask not what JKD can do for you....be a man already...ask what YOU can do for YOUR OWN rights.

And what exactly is the "Best of this law"? Did you think before you said that?
So far, noone has come up to my challenge of listing the benefits of this law or whatever it is currently.

btw...I'm going to always be respectful of others...until they disrespect me.
At which point I will respond in kind. Check your attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: yorlik
What happens when a person who likes to fly where they shouldn't sees me flying my registered UAV, with my new registration number plastered on the side decides he is going to put my number on his UAV? He then flies where he shouldn't like he normally does and now if it crashes or flies away he just high tails it out of there. How can I prove that the UAV I have at home isn't one I didn't list in my registration or didn't just buy?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I think they ought to make the registration visible on the video, like on a little plaque out in front. Ha

Poor little Johnny on Christmas morning when he asks if he can go outside and fly his brand new Star Wars AirHog X-Wing or Millennium Falcon and finds out the hard way his parents didn't know to register it.

Let me see your papers citizen

Let me see your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. Or.. your fishing license, or your hunting license... how about your permit to build here? Yeah... we're breaking new ground here.

Fixed wing flyers are typically flying in an approved model air field.

Quad copters are typically flown in an approved manner... see what I did there? Equal protection under the law. I won't be happy until ALL RC planes/copters must be registered! ;)

Hey...I've been looking for those all over town where I live....sold out! LOL Was going to order it online but figure I'll just wait until next year.
My buddy bought his at Weslake Hardware. That was back when he could drive. He's having blindness troubles now.......hahaha

You must think you are required to tow a banner with your registration number visible from the ground??
Read the information - your number can be affixed inside the battery compartment where it not visible.

Next.
All it takes is one person to put it on the outside but I'm sure noone will do that especially after hearing all the smart comments on this thread. I like how all your replies start out trying to belittle the person lol.

Let me see your driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. Yeah... we're breaking new ground here.

Do you have to supply those on demand or only when an infraction has occurred? "am I being detained?" See the difference? Nice try.

Reactions: joe21
What is the process to repeal a rule? Complain? Done. You can't vote out employees of the FAA. Congress 'thought' they had restricted the FAA enough, but FAA lawyers have decided otherwise. Are you going to fund a fight of this, because I don't have the money or the time it'll take and the AMA isn't interested in fighting it.

Fortunately .... there seems to be a process to repeal and/or be made exempt to **** everything in this counrty! :)

WRT: to the FAA see: https://www.google.com/search?q=How...57.9948j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

@ JKDSensei
That said, by Franklin's ... and your own words .... do you deserve freedom you and Franklin speak of?

I think you do, and I fought in Vietnam (thinking at the time) so that you would have that freedom to be secure and safe, irrespective of how much that has cost me in funky memories, my health and time to go back and forth to the VA hospital over the years.
Lots of other have done 'significantly' more for you.

So yeah ... if you want to talk the talk, then I encourage you to walk the walk.
Use the links in the above google page to be able to keep deserving that freedom you and Ben say I don't deserve (because I prefer to be looking for any silver linings in this cloud) and let us know how that works out for ya.

As far as my spine, it's messed up, but I'm dong well most days.
Some days it's chicken, some days just feathers ...... ;)

Last edited:
RC copters and planes have been flown for god knows how long, then quads/drones come out, and all of a sudden the FAA wants to get involved?

No.

If the pilots of those RC copters and planes flew them in the manner many 'drone' pilots have this would have occurred long ago.

Do you have to supply those on demand or only when an infraction has occurred? "am I being detained?" See the difference? Nice try.

I have had to show my fishing license on request.... Oh and have had to show a building permit on request. No infraction necessary....

I think they ought to make the registration visible on the video, like on a little plaque out in front. Ha
Yeah next year you will be required to list your registration number in the credits of any video you take and in the corner of any picture.

Quad copters are typically flown in an approved manner... see what I did there? Equal protection under the law. I won't be happy until ALL RC planes/copters must be registered! ;)
No, I don't see the correlation. An approved field means only AMA members can fly there and it is a known RC airfield to all surrounding airports, in fact many times they are near airports, like mine is.
Also, I read it as anything that flys over a half pound will register, including fixed wing, heli's, etc.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4