FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain America (having saved the world) thinks you owe him.
Lots of us fought in foreign wars. But we don't use it as a crutch every time we want to get defensive on the Internet.

I don't think my post hinted that I'm owed anything.
I do think it suggests I'm no coward, and that I didn't appreciate you using Franklin's quote to insinuate I'm am, simply because I am trying to look to the positive side of this.

We're all in this together, and I'm sure have the same desire for it to be a safe, fun and as free from restrictions a hobby as it can possibly be ... while still grasping the reality of doing it within a society, that for the most part doesn't really understand the hobby, and is IMHO currently (and probably vehemently) disposed to restrict us far beyond registration.

If you feel I "drew first blood" then I don't believe you really understood the point of my "makingt he best of it" post to which you responded with the "not deserving freedom" quote.
Perhaps I should have stated it clearer when I said "I don't typically like any new laws .... ".

I'm not going to cry in my beer about this registration requirement.
I'm going to embrace it for what good it may provide ...... certainly with a wee bit of a suspicious/cautious eye.

Cpt A. out! ;)

Reactions: Meta4
No really, you said if someone saw you flying, they could steal your registration number. That would require towing a banner to be seen from the ground.
I was simply replying to what you implied. Sorry if that made you feel belittled. I'll try to be more gentle in my responses. :(

What if he was at park with others flying and they saw one he wasn't flying at the time, sitting on the ground. Snap a quick pic and he has it. For reference, this is what you're referring to

Q. How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with the unique registration number?

A. You may use any method to affix the number, such as permanent marker, label, engraving, or other means, as long as the number is readily accessible and maintained in a condition that is readable and legible upon close visual inspection. If your unmanned aircraft has an easily accessible battery compartment you may affix the number in that compartment.

Got your back on this one TJ
Who is TJ anyway? And why is he threatening to ban us?
Yeah, sorry. Being attacked doesn't always involve name calling either. I could have defended myself as a gentleman.
I get the feeling there is a room full of people, just sitting, watching what we say, and deciding if we should be banned or not. Its kinda like the FAA requiring 13 year olds to register their toys.

Reactions: aka1ceman
I think they do use falcon (during down time) and other birds of pray to keep them seagulls and pigeons in check. Different measures.

If they use millennial falcons... they'll expect a trophy even if they don't get their target.... wait...for it.....

Who is TJ anyway? And why is he threatening to ban us?
\
I get the feeling there is a room full of people, just sitting, watching what we say, and deciding if we should be banned or not. Its kinda like the FAA requiring 13 year olds to register their toys.

Are you new to the interwebs? It's called a moderator - and the one's here are generally pretty tolerant and try to keep things civil.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
If they use millennial falcons... they'll expect a trophy even if they don't get their target.... wait...for it.....
I don't know about any millennial falcon, they might be too old by now. But if I would gladly trade my new P3P for the 30+ years old millennium falcon. That is one bad *** ship. And if FAA come looking for me, there is always the cargo hold.

Reactions: Buckaye
\

Are you new to the interwebs? It's called a moderator - and the one's here are generally pretty tolerant and try to keep things civil.
Yes I am. I had no idea that people stood for this kind of herding.

No really, you said if someone saw you flying, they could steal your registration number. That would require towing a banner to be seen from the ground.
I was simply replying to what you implied. Sorry if that made you feel belittled. I'll try to be more gentle in my responses. :(
I have some pretty good binoculars

This is just the beginning. Just like anything you want to get rid of or control completely, baby steps -- first step is knowing exactly who owns these. Here is the natural progression:

1. Register all. First we need to know exactly who owns these. (Done)
2. Automatic and mandatory upload of flight logs. We need to know where you've been and what you've been doing.
3. Mandatory real time trackers installed on all UAS.
4. Total ban. Turns out our efforts didn't work because a whack job made one at home and blew it up over a crowd. There are too many "legal" UAS around to adequately tell friend-from-foe in real time so we need to clear the skies.

What if he was at park with others flying and they saw one he wasn't flying at the time, sitting on the ground. Snap a quick pic and he has it. For reference, this is what you're referring to

Q. How do I mark my unmanned aircraft with the unique registration number?

A. You may use any method to affix the number, such as permanent marker, label, engraving, or other means, as long as the number is readily accessible and maintained in a condition that is readable and legible upon close visual inspection. If your unmanned aircraft has an easily accessible battery compartment you may affix the number in that compartment.
Again, no requirement for the number to be visible to your dishonest, ID stealing flying buddies who might snap a photo (Good Lord, with their OWN DRONE and SPY CAMERA from 250 feet away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). If you're frightened and distrustful, put it in your battery compartment, no?

(Spying in my window with yer flyin' machine or spying on my registration # of my flyin' machine - flip side of the same paranoia coin...)

4. Total ban. Turns out our efforts didn't work because a whack job made one at home and blew it up over a crowd.
Hmm. I'm not so sure whack jobs are going to be registering their drones. A total ban would not stop them.

Reactions: JBG
This is just the beginning. Just like anything you want to get rid of or control completely, baby steps -- first step is knowing exactly who owns these. Here is the natural progression:

2. Automatic and mandatory upload of flight logs. We need to know where you've been and what you've been doing.
4. Total ban. Turns out our efforts didn't work because a whack job made one at home and blew it up over a crowd. There are too many "legal" UAS around to adequately tell friend-from-foe in real time so we need to clear the skies.

Or, more likely, none of that will happen. You're another one I am willing to invest in. Send me your address and as soon as the government demands mandatory uploading of all our flight logs... I will send you $100.00. We've all seen how this is exactly what happened with vehicle registration right? Can't drive a car anymore without the government watching..... and now they have GPS! Yikes.... we're doomed.

Reactions: Meta4 and GoodnNuff

You forgot mandatory insurance and maintenance inspections. For the gas burners, emissions test

Again, no requirement for the number to be visible to your dishonest, ID stealing flying buddies who might snap a photo

He didn't say it was requirement, just a possibility. You're trying entirely too hard to discount what he said. He had a point.

Geez, I thought we were all adults here. I didn't think we needed a moderator.
blank stare.png
:)

Too many people are misinformed on the rules. Many think you can not fly a UAV under any circumstances at or near the 5 mile radius of an airport which is simple not true as of today anyways. Like I said earlier, to many new folks with no or misinformed knowledge of the rules.

The problem is also the FAA themselves. If you don't know the specifics on those rules and do a casual search you tend to find just that 5 mile limit and no info about calling if you are closer.

Reactions: Jeff48920
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT