FAA Registration Rules Announced NOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone questions your statements about the AMA, they need look no further than every comment attributed to their members and their thinking in the 211 page report referenced at the beginning of this thread! It is shocking how the AMA tried to sacrifice all drone owners to save their own skin in all their proposals. They wanted to demand that we all adhere to AMA Flying field rules. They asked to be the AMA be the registrant entity for our drones and require that we all be AMA members with AMA insurance to register our drones! All this to avoid their registering their own aircraft with the FAA!

FAA smartly told the AMA to shove it, and now all AMA members have to register their aircraft, too, with an FAA number. AMA numbers are not good enough anymore! [emoji14]
I really do think this is just your private issue with AMA. I didnt read anything where AMA said drone owners. I did read they say none AMA members.

There are drone owners that are AMA members.

There are fix wing guys that are none AMA members.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Let this sink in for a moment...
I guess one you can potentially harm others without any harm to you allowing you to be more reckless as there really is no skin in the game for you. The others, well, before you do something stupid, you will likely need to hurt yourself first

So in that sense, self interest is the governor here, not law.

I think most people will find that when they wake up the day after they register their drones, much will be the same. They will still be able to fly the way they did before. For those that don't register and/or decide to fly their drones recklessly, it may very well be the same for them too. But they now will have a further level of accountability to reckon with. They now play the lottery with their future.

And maybe there will be a handful isolated cases where someone steals a registration and makes someone's life difficult for a while until it can be fixed. All in all, the benefit far outweighs any of the inconvenience or potential negative outcomes. There are way too many irresponsible people out there operating irresponsibly. The sooner they are grounded, the better.
Ive yet to see any benefits, as registration does not automatically ground idiots they do stupid things. Those are the ones that will never register knowing they're going to do something stupid.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Ive yet to see any benefits, as registration does not automatically ground idiots they do stupid things. Those are the ones that will never register knowing they're going to do something stupid.

You don't think your license plate makes you more accountable? Cop sees a guy flying a drone in a questionable way or questionable area. Goes over, asks to see registration. No registration? Sorry, bud. We'll have to take that from you. Maybe you'll get it back once you have a little chin wag with the FAA. Maybe you don't get it back and instead get fined up the wazoo! No money left for drones. Problem solved. And there was much rejoicing! :D

Reactions: J0ck0
Umm... yea, it is... I just did a search on my N Number...the very first box in the result is the serial number of my Phantom...
My understanding is yiu register once even if you have multiple UAS (this you can verify).

So my question is, serial number fir which one if my UAS?

My understanding is yiu register once even if you have multiple UAS (this you can verify).

So my question is, serial number fir which one if my UAS?

N numbers are a whole different thing....

Those who register their drones are doing so without any legal requirement to do so. I suspect that's part of the corporate buy in they've achieved, the rushed implementation, and the gimmicky $5 and you get it back scheme. They are hoping owners get onboard so that it becomes an expectation, I would imagine.

There is no legal requirement to register your drone, as I read the law. Those who give up their information do so voluntarily as I see it.

I would recommend owners bring this issue up to their State representatives to fix this. Then the federal government can decide if it wants to take more of our tax money and then fund a Team America: Drone Police to try to enforce this unconstitutional rule and then have a States' rights battle.
Could you please point me to where you see it is voluntary? I am under the impression it is compulsory.

Reactions: Buckaye
Those who register their drones are doing so without any legal requirement to do so. I suspect that's part of the corporate buy in they've achieved, the rushed implementation, and the gimmicky $5 and you get it back scheme. They are hoping owners get onboard so that it becomes an expectation, I would imagine.

There is no legal requirement to register your drone, as I read the law. Those who give up their information do so voluntarily as I see it.

I would recommend owners bring this issue up to their State representatives to fix this. Then the federal government can decide if it wants to take more of our tax money and then fund a Team America: Drone Police to try to enforce this unconstitutional rule and then have a States' rights battle.

Did you read the whole thing? or just the summary?.... they actually do tie it to a law with a fine and/or possible prison sentence. I posted the criminal code in a previous post....

Here it is:

Failure to register an aircraft can result in civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties for failure to register can include fines of up to $250,000 under 18 U.S.C. 3571 and/or imprisonment up to 3 years. 49 U.S.C. 46306.

You don't think your license plate makes you more accountable? Cop sees a guy flying a drone in a questionable way or questionable area. Goes over, asks to see registration. No registration? Sorry, bud. We'll have to take that from you. Maybe you'll get it back once you have a little chin wag with the FAA. Maybe you don't get it back and instead get fined up the wazoo! No money left for drones. Problem solved. And there was much rejoicing! :D
.....and Nick NoGood gets out and Flys his at an airport and takes out a plane. Think he registered? Think they will catch him by this "magic registration" that he doesn't do?
There is NO proof that registration does anything more than keep the honest people honest.

i'm leaning towards your opinion regarding registering.
but your previous post, once we had a right not to wear helmets and seatbelts. all these laws are in the name of safety, yet you have to give up your freedoms whether you use common sense or not.

That is true. You are losing the the freedom to choose wearing helmet or not, seatbelt or not.

I guess I have the right to make bad choice if I want.

My child doesn't know any better so they have no choice to make bad choice and I will make The choice for them and they will be punish for not following it.

It is a thin line to draw. Should I be allow to choose to end my life (euthanasia) and etc.

Personally I dont feel either of what we discussed here goes too far, so I am OK with it. There are other bigger issues that I would rather concentrate my energy on.

Let's be clear. Your opinion does not seem to jibe with that of the FAA or Congress or Federal law.
Q: Does the FAA have the authority to require registration of UAS used by modelers and hobbyists?
A: Yes. By statute all aircraft are required to register. Congress has defined "aircraft" to include UAS, regardless of whether they are operated by modelers and hobbyists.

Q. Why do I need to register?
A. Federal law requires aircraft registration. Registration helps us ensure safety – for you, others on the ground, and manned aircraft. UAS pose new security and privacy challenges and must be traceable in the event of an incident. It will also help enable the return of your UAS should it be lost.

Also note that failing to register can carry civil penalties up to $27,500 and criminal penalties up to $250,000.

.....and Nick NoGood gets out and Flys his at an airport and takes out a plane. Think he registered? Think they will catch him by this "magic registration" that he doesn't do?
There is NO proof that registration does anything more than keep the honest people honest.

So you think if we were all driving around with no registration on our cars, everybody would behave exactly the same way? Don't think so. Your drone registration will soon become part of the wireless fingerprint. You will be identifiable. Easily. Even without it, don't underestimate forensics.

So as an example l'm coming into the USA on vacation for two weeks with my foreign based P3P but unless registered in the USA l'm grounded? I assume no dispensation for foreign based UAV's being used whilst on vacation? Same if you want to take your US registered UAV to Europe etc?

This would imply SNs aren't even required. That would make it even easier for some to lift your number and use it as theirs when they conduct some nefarious act with their drone...
Seriously like that boat hadn't already sailed? This is exactly like crying over spilled milk.

You are in much more danger for having a mail box where your identity bcant be easily stolen.

I wouldn't worry about bad guy doing something with my number. They can already steal my license plate off my car to do something bad much easier and that hadn't happened.

I agree, it's pretty much useless without being able to verify ownership. If the FAA recovers a crashed RC vehicle, what is the proof you are the owner other than the number affixed to it, that's publicly available? None. What is the recourse to dispute ownership? Innocent until proven guilty. I have yet to see that discussed.
If need be, like any other crime. Am sure they can lift yiur prints, DNA, and other materials linking you when it comes right down to it. They will have the burden of proof.

What good does this registration do? I mean, aside from the new fees, and more detailed insight on users... What good is there for the public? Does this increase safety? Does it make those boogieman terrorists someone stop considering using RC craft? Does it keep the "hey, hold my beer and watch this" demographic act more responsibly? Does it provide any forensic value after a jetliner is down by sucking in a quad (assuming it is vaporized)?

"Well, I guess I'll just register" seems to be the consensus. But why? Because we're told we need to. Because we're afraid of a $27,500 fine, or 5 years in prison. But anyone who logically looks at this issue, there is no value (perceived or realized) to this new registration process. It's theater. Just like the TSA. Just like most of what our government does. Yet, whether due to submission or fear, like good sheep, we comply.

What do we do when the registration term goes to 1 year, and the fees are $200? I remember when the registration on my car was $25/yr. It was $150 this last go. Does anyone really think this will end well?
I do theater all the time.

I pretend there is Santa Claus, there is tooth fairy, and that dress doesn't look fat. I do ut because it makes my life less complicated and less stressful and therefore that is reason enough to do it: for me.

If need be, like any other crime. Am sure they can lift yiur prints, DNA, and other materials linking you when it comes right down to it. They will have the burden of proof.

One more reason not to lick your Phantom.... I was looking for... one...more...reason ;)

One more reason not to lick your Phantom.... I was looking for... one...more...reason ;)
......how else to you get the bug splatter off then?:yum:

Reactions: Buckaye
I stand corrected... still doesn't stop someone from making up a number or 'borrowing" one since it's not tied to a serial number and a single registration applies to all RC aircraft owned by a user.
You worry about this and not someone stealing your license plate off your car while you park and give you a bad one and then do something with your clean record license plate? Hrmph, OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus