FAA 333

Reaction score
I've been looking online and doing research about this FAA 333. I do drone work as a part of my wedding films so I want to be legit. But I also don't want to drop $1500 on a lawyer when the system could be simplified in the next 6 months to be much easier. Especially with how it states you have to be a pilot to fly at all commercially. This is ridiculous. Just looking for comments or advice if you think I should go for the 333 or wait it out? I have about 25 weddings at least this year and all of which I want to fly my drone just for the establishing shot. All my other shots of the day are on ground.

hey brother good luck it seems to be a mystery about all this. They tell you to register, then some fellow is sueing the FAA. Where do you live and what type of drone do you use if you don't mind

I know it's a mess with the FAA.
I'm in Hawaii I have a Phantom 3 professional, I also have a Phantom 2 as a back up with hero 4.

I've been looking online and doing research about this FAA 333. I do drone work as a part of my wedding films so I want to be legit. But I also don't want to drop $1500 on a lawyer when the system could be simplified in the next 6 months to be much easier. Especially with how it states you have to be a pilot to fly at all commercially. This is ridiculous. Just looking for comments or advice if you think I should go for the 333 or wait it out? I have about 25 weddings at least this year and all of which I want to fly my drone just for the establishing shot. All my other shots of the day are on ground.
At the moment the FAA requires a 333 exemption and pilot's licence for any commercial work (yes .. it's ridiculous)
The FAA proposed a more sensible system almost a year ago. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol.../2120-AJ60_NPRM_2-15-2015_joint_signature.pdf
Whenever they get around to bringing this in is anyone's guess.
They move slower than some glaciers except when they decide registration of toys is a critical issue.

Getting a 333 won't help you to comply unless you also have a pilot's licence.

You don't need a lawyer in order to get a 333 exemption. It'll take some time to complete the process, but it's pretty easy to do. The FAA is going to require you to have a pilot license in order to use your approved 333 exemption. If you have no plans to get a pilot license, then it would be best to wait until the FAA finalizes the NPRM. Once those rules are in place, you'll be able to do commercial work without getting a manned aircraft pilot certificate.

I just pulled the trigger today and started filling for the Section 333 Waiver. Hope it all goes well.

No pilots license = no commercial work. You'll have to wait for Part 107 to go through and who knows how long that will take..... However, you can still get your 333 exemption and find a licensed pilot to fly your drone.

Reactions: Denarius
Requirements. Dont even get a headache its facken ridiculous. All jist for a simple photo or video of a few feeet high

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-12-13-42-19.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-12-13-42-19.png
    390.5 KB · Views: 433
The need for a pilot license is as basic as it gets.... they (FAA) were not prepared for this to take off like it has. As of right now, the only certifications for airspace safety is a pilot license. Once they can figure out (and approve....) another method for us to be "trained in the safety aspects" things will be much easier with the 333.

If I were you, I'd file for it now, since it takes upwards of 4 months or so to get it approved. And maybe by that time the requirements will change... I filed mine back on September 14th, and it appeared on their site on November 19th, still waiting for the approval. I checked today, and an Exemption that they passed yesterday was filed on August 7th, or so it says on their letter, so they are getting close. I'm sure I missed some info that they needed and will have to resubmit that info, so it'll be a process.... but I'd start now.

And as msinger said, you don't need a lawyer. There are paid-for services out there that will help you write it up and all that, but all you have to do is look at an exemption document that was approved, then just cut/paste your own data.

I guess the question is will the 333 be changed so that you don't need a pilots license or will a completely different license be required?
If it's a 333 and they will change it to not need a license then yes I should file now but it seems like it could go a different way.

I guess the question is will the 333 be changed so that you don't need a pilots license or will a completely different license be required
You will need a UAV "operator" license.

A 333 exemption is not the same thing as a pilot license. A pilot license is required by US law. A 333 exemption is needed if you aren't able to follow the FAA's rules. It's a way for them to grant you permission to operate safely under a modified set of rules.

It will be a new type of FAA license. The 333 will probably be obsolete once part 107 goes through.

Any idea how long tip the 107 goes through?

Who knows....Hopefully sometime this year.... If you're not planning on getting a pilots license the only option you have is to get your 333 exemption and find a licensed pilot to fly your drone. What island are you on?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl