Essential accessories for P4P?

Ya, I looked at that and found it pretty confusing. For example:
You will receive a unit that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability after paying the service charge specified in your DJI Care Refresh Service Agreement.
---so what is the service charge (how much) and how is it assessed?

and
DJI Care Refresh is valid for 12 months and offers up to two full replacements at additional charge if accidental damage occurs to your product during normal use
--- How much is the "additional charge? What is the limit you can be charged? How do they determine the charge?
A little vague.
Can anyone clarify? Wrote to DJI and haven't gotten an answer.

See the Terms of Service section below the FAQ for more details. Here's what it says about the replacement fee:

"For DJI Care Refresh (Phantom 4 Pro), the first time replacement fee is $99, the second time replacement fee is $149."

I'm a new drone flyer. I bought the P4P recently and here's what I decided to pick up for it:

I'm going to grab PolarPro ND/PL filters along with the ThinkTank Airport Helipak (v1 or 2)
HELLO from Melbourne Australia!

Anyone who has one or either of these bags KNOW the difference between v1 or 2?

RoOSTA

Curious why you went for the PolarPro as opposed to the DJI filters?

I'm a new drone flyer. I bought the P4P recently and here's what I decided to pick up for it:

I'm going to grab PolarPro ND/PL filters along with the ThinkTank Airport Helipak (v1 or 2)
HELLO from Melbourne Australia!

Anyone who has one or either of these bags KNOW the difference between v1 or 2?

RoOSTA
Curious why you went for the PolarPRo as opposed to the DJI filters?

Does anyone feel the filters are essential for still photos? And can someone tell me if a windsurfer is a generic name for a range extender or a specific product? And if generic, what is considered the best extender for the P4P?

Aside from the polarized use for over water, filters can also be used for short range shots such as selfie shots to give more depth of field. They can also be used to slow shutter speed for softening waterfalls and waves for example. In most cases though, filters, especially non-PL filters will be used for video.

Thanks for the filter info..
One last thing (ordering today): Do most people carry an extra set of props and use propeller guards?

Aside from the polarized use for over water, filters can also be used for short range shots such as selfie shots to give more depth of field. They can also be used to slow shutter speed for softening waterfalls and waves for example. In most cases though, filters, especially non-PL filters will be used for video.

Prop guards are best used indoor only. Mostly to protect everything else, not the drone. They affect obstacle avoidance. Spare props doesn't hurt, if you are willing to continue to fly after a crash. Personally, I still haven't unwrapped my second set of props even though I have run into trees a couple of times, including once that I had to use a ladder to get up and retrieve my drone that was stuck in one. Props are still like new. But I would always have spares with me, just in case.

Other than the spare set, I'm buying another set of spare props (black). I actually hit the PAUSE button on the filters and exploring some other opinions around 3 different brands of filters (not including DJI) for the P4P.

I didn't go with DJI as I've used Cokin filters on my DSLR and they are brilliant, so provided you find the right 3rd party company that machines these with the right materials and to perfection, they are still likely to cost the same or sometimes LESS than DJI.

Case Club Hard Case is the bomb for 169 bucks. It's basically a Pelican Case on wheels. But you would be checking this one though as it prob wont fit in the overhead. Holds 5 batts, chargers, extra props ect. And yes, I always keep a spare set of props just in case. Polarizer would be great over water. You could prob put marks on the side of it so you would know where to start with the turning of it. As it should be pretty close to the same each time. Notice I said close. LOL. Prob have to run your bird up and do some testing on that to get proficient.

Trying to find the "right" company as we speak. Are all the polarizers circular polarizers? They would need to be adjusted based the sun angle as mentioned elsewhere. But a salesman at B&H told me there are also non-circular polarizers, but I haven't seen any, and the combo BND/polarizer sets would lose a lot (2 stops?) of light, so I'm not inclined to buy those given my DSLR experience.
Guess the question is for still photo, what is the best set of filters?
Other than the spare set, I'm buying another set of spare props (black). I actually hit the PAUSE button on the filters and exploring some other opinions around 3 different brands of filters (not including DJI) for the P4P.

I didn't go with DJI as I've used Cokin filters on my DSLR and they are brilliant, so provided you find the right 3rd party company that machines these with the right materials and to perfection, they are still likely to cost the same or sometimes LESS than DJI.

Case:
I just ordered the Nanuk 945 as I am going to have to check the drone when traveling. Planning to put the Nanuk inside a spinner for security and safety reasons...
Extra props: ordered
Polarizer - mentioned above. Are they all circular?

Case Club Hard Case is the bomb for 169 bucks. It's basically a Pelican Case on wheels. But you would be checking this one though as it prob wont fit in the overhead. Holds 5 batts, chargers, extra props ect. And yes, I always keep a spare set of props just in case. Polarizer would be great over water. You could prob put marks on the side of it so you would know where to start with the turning of it. As it should be pretty close to the same each time. Notice I said close. LOL. Prob have to run your bird up and do some testing on that to get proficient.

Trying to find the "right" company as we speak. Are all the polarizers circular polarizers? They would need to be adjusted based the sun angle as mentioned elsewhere. But a salesman at B&H told me there are also non-circular polarizers, but I haven't seen any, and the combo BND/polarizer sets would lose a lot (2 stops?) of light, so I'm not inclined to buy those given my DSLR experience.
Guess the question is for still photo, what is the best set of filters?
I believe the Polar Pro Vivid collection are all circular polarizers. So theyll have to be set to optimum angle for your reflections. But i would think that you could put marks on them so you would know where you are at pretty close each time. Fred Hagen who I really respect as far as imaging info says the new Sandmarc ND filters are even a tad better than the Polar Pro's. But I don't think they have any polarized versions. But I have been very happy with Polar Pro now with 3 diff birds. Very well made.

Sandmarc - good tip. Yes, they do have a PL:
  • ND4 (2-Stop ND)
  • ND8 (3-Stop ND)
  • ND16 (4-Stop ND)
  • Polarizer Filter
  • Filter Case

Reactions: KevMo Photog
For those considering baggage or cases - I'd recommend baggage. Stay away from utilising the DJI foam carry case as that will deteriorate with time. Hard cases are obviously very safe, but also heavy and more costly if you plan on travelling with the drone. I like to pack extra items/accessories si I've gone with the THINK TANK AIRPORT HELIPAK (v1). It's longer but thinner that the v2 (released this month) and will fit in most if all all airline carry on overhead compartments. PERFECT for fitting in those extra batteries, props, guards or even an extra DSLR and lenses, which I also carry.

Secondly, on the subject of filters I've been speaking to a couple of other drone flyers who have experience with at leas 2 or more brands. After reviewing some vision and listening to other photo/videographers opinions, I've landed on SANDMARC (4pk), I've also bought a couple of cheapo ND32/64's to check out and opted not to worry about the ND+PL filters that PolarPro offer.

RoOSTA

Ordering a P4P from Amazon to use primarily for still photos including a schooner trip in Iceland in August. I'll need to check the drone with my checked bags so assume I need a hard case, which I will put into a second outer spinner suitcase. This is my first drone (very experienced DSLR photographer) so I am curious what other accessories I should buy initially while keeping the budget right about 2k. Thanks for any suggestions.

I would suggest you watch many tutorials and understand how to setup the P4, use return to home, find my drone, and many other features of this flying computer. It's easy to fly right out of the box, but things can go sideways very quickly. There are many examples of what can go wrong on this forum.

Thanks - I am watching Northrup's excellent (90 minute) tutorial as we speak and have seen several others. Asked elsewhere about getting some help locally (Westchester county, NY for the summer) to be sure I would be up to speed on the drone and the camera before an August trip in Greenland (over water).

For those considering baggage or cases - I'd recommend baggage. Stay away from utilising the DJI foam carry case as that will deteriorate with time. Hard cases are obviously very safe, but also heavy and more costly if you plan on travelling with the drone. I like to pack extra items/accessories si I've gone with the THINK TANK AIRPORT HELIPAK (v1). It's longer but thinner that the v2 (released this month) and will fit in most if all all airline carry on overhead compartments. PERFECT for fitting in those extra batteries, props, guards or even an extra DSLR and lenses, which I also carry.

Secondly, on the subject of filters I've been speaking to a couple of other drone flyers who have experience with at leas 2 or more brands. After reviewing some vision and listening to other photo/videographers opinions, I've landed on SANDMARC (4pk), I've also bought a couple of cheapo ND32/64's to check out and opted not to worry about the ND+PL filters that PolarPro offer.

RoOSTA
Just saying that the Polar Pro Shutter Collection is just ND only. No polarizer included with it. Which is what I have and I have been very happy with results. I bet the Sandmarc filters are same quality as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumperswaves