erratic / not holding position while turning on axis

Reaction score
I have over 200 flights and many hours on my 3A and tonight I had weird behavior. I did all normal preflight checklist, compass calibration etc, oh and all is firmware is updated to most recent... I took off and flew to 100' and all was fine, then I turned 90 degrees to the right and the bird just started drifting as if it were in atti mode ( i had 16 sats). I then turned back 90 degrees where I started and the bird held solid. So I did a 360 and when I did it, the bird started sliding to one particular direction (again as if it were windy and in atti mode). I'm doing and IMU update now to see if it corrects the problem but as I wait just wanted to get some feedback as to if anyone else has had issues like this.

Good to do a IMU calibration, I would also re-calibrate the RC. Could be the bird but don't rule out the RC.

Haven't had that problem, but it's generally recommended that you do not do a compass calibration each time and that's what the manual recommends now too. Get one good one and leave it alone. IMU is pretty stable unless the bird has taken a pretty hard bump. GPS, IMU and compass all interact in the flight controller so any minor glitch in any could cause erratic behavior. won't hurt to do a IMU cal, I'm sure that you know to do it somewhere stable, level and cool. After that I would do one more careful compass cal and if everything goes good, don't touch the compass again unless you get some type of warning. Even then, I would move the bird to another starting location before X messing with the compass.

I've noticed that when I launch to cruising height, say 100 ft from launch/home point, then push stick straight up to fly forward, it does seem to drift left. Usually not a big deal.
I suspect that the RC may be picking up a slight left joystick movement. I've noticed that has happened when flying up and I've also commanded some yaw unintentionally.
You can adjust joystick settings to ignore slight joystick movement in any direction.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've noticed that when I launch to cruising height, say 100 ft from launch/home point, then push stick straight up to fly forward, it does seem to drift left. Usually not a big deal.
I suspect that the RC may be picking up a slight left joystick movement. I've noticed that has happened when flying up and I've also commanded some yaw unintentionally.
You can adjust joystick settings to ignore slight joystick movement in any direction.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had a similar issue; my bird would yaw to the left when ascending and pushing forward on the right stick. My front left (black dot) motor sounded different than the other three, so I replaced it and mostly solved the issue. Every so often, when it is windy, I'll still get the yaw but it is not nearly as bad.

I had calibrated the RC, IMU, and the compass prior to replacing the motor but I still had the issue.

I have also noticed that I get erratic movement when it is very cold. What was the temperature when you flew?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl