Enough with the complaints

Reaction score
inb4 Cool story bro
inb4 TLDR
inb4 Wall of text

I have been browsing this forum for a couple months now, and some of he complaints are absolutely ludicrous. DJI is in a damned if they do, and damned if they don't position.

Some of the common complaints with a solid dose of hyperbole for effect:

"OMG there is prop interference with my Camera!"

"DJI is the suxxorz, my Vision + won't hold GPS position on hover within a 2mm margin of error!"

"The big stupid heads at DJI keep releasing better products making my 1337 Vision obsolete!"

And in another thread the same blowhard will post:

"The big stupid heads at teh DJI keep won't release the next 10D gimbal with fully sentient AI flight controller until next week! I dun sue DJI!1!!1!!!!"

"DJI, Y U NO PUT LEICA 4K CAMERA WITH HAND GROUND DILITHIUM LENS ON COPTER AND PRICE PACKAGE AT $199?"

"My Vision crashed into a building, fell 300 feet into the street, got run over by a Unimog, and attacked by a bear, and now my gimbal is bent! What a piece of fragile junk! DJI owes me threeve thousand dollars and unlimited Phantoms 4EVER! Hey anyone have their number to call them? I threw away the owners manual the second I took it out of the box."

"DJI is teh Hitler, and violating the constitution with restricted flight zones. It's my god given constitutional right to do high altitude flybys of the only Antonov 225 in existence while it is visiting my local airport delivering refuelling rods for local reactor. I bet DJI supports gun control too. Thanks Obama!"

About two weeks ago, I was over at my 73 year old dads house, and showed him my vision+, he is a retired yet highly respected electrical engineer, one of the best in his field on the face of this planet. I flew it around, and uploaded the video to my Mac to show him how it looks. He was absolutely dumfounded. "How much was that thing $10,000?" When I told him it was $1500 bucks he thought I was pulling his leg. Even though there have been initial growing pains with the product, you have access to a device that 10 years ago, could have been sold to a military agency for $100k+ per copy. It is a new era in technology where you are able to pull this device right out of the box, and have it airborne in minutes, delivering rock steady video clarity which was unheard of 15 years ago. I for one wan't DJI to keep pushing the limits, and keep releasing new product on a steep initial development cycle. Like the iPhone it will eventually plateau and level out, but in the mean time, you are purchasing an absolute, 100%, bonafide luxury item. Your rights as a consumer are not being violated by the rapidly changing product upgrades. That's the name of the game in high tech anything now. Deal with it. If you want to play with the big boy toys, be prepared to have the budget to do so.

I am also convinced that 95% of the crashes are due to pilot error. I am on my fourth Phantom (Phantom 1, FC40, Vision, Vision+) and every time I receive my new machine, I read the manual for new features/updates, calibrate the compass, run it up without the props to ensure the motors are all in sync, and inspect and balance my props. Not until then do I take it to an open field, and do a low altitude, battery draining, tethered test flight to ensure I have a reliable craft. The majority of these catastrophic failures seem to be newb pilots, the are crashing in their initial flights. How many have been properly calibrated? How many have actually thoroughly read the manual? How many are actually standing directly behind the craft to get proper spacial control orientation when they take off, to avoid the craft darting left or right instead of forward when they push the right stick forward? Out of all those machines, I have had one crash, and it was because I took off standing to the side, lost spacial orientation, and crashed it into my house. 100% pilot error. It cost me 2 props, and 1 landing skid.

We are incredibly lucky to have such an amazing device. But for god sakes, be patient, go through the proper steps, and quit the bloody whining if things don't go exactly as planned. We are in the figurative 'Beta' stage of these things, and that is the risk you take to be an early adopter.

/rant

+1

Short of saying... RTFM. Understand the FPV app and settings... and get a better understanding of the industry...
Everyone needs to understand there is a % of DoA/defects and DJI customer service could be improved, but some of the expectations are unrealistic. Been fortunate with my p2v and p2v+ not having build problems, only operator skill issues. I take full responsibility for that.

I've gone through this with all my "hobbies". Audio, video, still(film & now digital), sports equipment, cars, tools, you name it... Hell, even Snap-on gave up lifetime warranty on torque wrenches many many years ago. It is a changing economy and the old saying still applies. "pay to play..." and "nothing is forever..."

It's the 80/20 rule. Please 80% and accept 20% won't be happy. Companies will need to constantly produce new products/services to maintain a sustainable/profitable business. In most cases, there will always be a better and cheaper replacement. Time your purchase right and make the best use of the product. Most importantly, ENJOY. These are fleeting moments until the next product cycle. Generalizations and overly simplified...

For the unlucky ones that experienced DoA, I feel your pain.

Going back into lurker mode...

They're just focusing on one aspect of the platform and ignoring how powerful the complete package really is, but I have to admit the fragile nature of the gimbal has my credit card grounded.

Edit:

And if you don't like to read, what the hell are you doing on a forum?

But if it weren't for the "I tried to fly my phantom through a chain link fence and now the camera doesn't work" posts, this forum would be a little boring. I am endlessly amazed at how careless and impatient people can be with a $1300 toy.

Agree 100% with the "early adopter" sentiment. We are so lucky to be on the front lines of this technology.

+1 on the orientation awarness, I'd say thats 50% of newbie crashes and being in atti mode is the other 50% and then they say whats atti mode??????

Unimog. LOL. Great post, 100% agree, very few P2V+ are faulty, and I'd say 9/10 issues are related to operator error.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Dozer said:
Unimog. LOL. Great post, 100% agree, very few P2V+ are faulty, and I'd say 9/10 issues are related to operator error.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk
I think its more like 999/1000 or even 9999/10000. Given the number of us flying with craft that are performing as designed. I do feel bad for those that get defective ones. User error doesn't cause the WiFi to not work. User error does not cause the GPS to fail with 9 sats one moment and < 5 the next. This is not home depot or Walmart. Unfortunately dji has no infrastructure to provide good support to the percentage of genuine defects or provide unconditional returns or exchsnges. But if you crash or have a hard landing ( I have no idea how to do that, I have had nothing but gentle landings every time) or don't study this machine and how it works, you are going to face damage. Is the gimbal delicate? Yes. Is the gimbal designed to allow for crashes? No. Does the gimbal provide decent stabilization? Yes.

Totally agree! The stuff rocks! Even with it's set of problems. Every high-tech product has its problems. No big deal.

Good post. I'm brand new and crashed mine. 100% pilot error. I was in a tight space and used two props that looked like DJI but we're not and sent the craft out of control. I just didn't know any better at the time and I'm grounded until end of June.. I have read the manual cover to cover.... How do I calibrate? What does that mean? How do I check Prop Balance?

I wish I was on this board before my crash. Lots of good info..

Thanks

Soooooooooo....

WHEN are we getting the 10D gimbal with fully sentient AI flight controller?

And is there a waiting list I can sign up for the $199 LEICA 4K Camera package?

Thanks

yawnalot29 said:
Soooooooooo....

WHEN are we getting the 10D gimbal with fully sentient AI flight controller?

And is there a waiting list I can sign up for the $199 LEICA 4K Camera package?

Thanks

I sent an email to Skynet, and they haven't replied yet.

Will post update when they do.

Pilot error is about 99% preventable. The operator is over confident in his flying abilities. For example, try flying around a large tree using only PFV at about a 300 foot distance. They take the quad out of the box, read the directions just enough to get Iinto the air. If the machine flys, why bother to read the rest of the manual.

Why didn't I receive a manual with my quad? Why do I have to download it from the internet? They can't seem to understand that the purpose is to save the customer money and make sure everyone has the same updates. I am not defending DJI, it's how business is done now.

I could fill up several pages with complaints and answers. For that matter, we all could.

For real problems, sometime a public complaint is the only way to correct the problem or draw attention to the defect. The companies that make and sell the quads DO read these forums.

And sometimes, people are not happy unless they can complain about something. For them, that's life. Live with it.

If I understand correctly, you were extremely well-prepared and properly trained yet still crashed your Phantom.

You got off lucky wrecking a couple of props. Had you been flying a P2V+ you'd be paying hundreds for a gimbal replacement and waiting weeks.

I agree these are marvelous devices at an amazing cost. I don't agree that it is satisfactory to deliver a gimbal (and ribbon wire) that is so fragile and unforgiving that one simple mistake (like yours) is catastrophic for the unit.

No you understand incorrectly.

It was 100% my error and stupidity. I was rushing through things to quickly show off my vision to a buddy before he left my house. Didn't do any pre-flight checks, or anything, was just going to put in in the air for 2 minutes, and say seeya later.

Secondly, for decent flight times the Gimbal has to be super light, and typically lightweight electronic devices are super fragile. Go drop your iPhone on your driveway right now from 8 feet, or your blu-ray player, or your microwave, and tell me how it fares? The fragility argument is ridiculously stupid. Brushless gimbals by their very nature are a fragile device. They also need to be incredibly well balanced, and have virtually zero resistance to work properly. There is no way to build one that fits the Payload of the Phantom, without building it small, light, and delicate. It doesn't matter if you have the H3-3D setup, or the Vision+, surviving any freefall crash from more than 20 or so feet onto pavement or concrete is a miracle. Most aircraft of any type, be it model, private or commercial survives or at least is salvageable from even seemingly miniscule events. At best they require millions of dollars in repairs. Commercial airliners have been written off for overshooting runways and rolling into the grass or landing just a little too hard. You expect your plastic made in China Phantom to survive a drop that is proportionate to a 737 falling from a couple hundred feet in a full stall?

People that are butt-hurt over the fragile gimbal should just take advantage of the deals on the original Vision which seem to survive huge failures. If you want the stabilized video, the fragile nature of it is the trade off. You can't have both. It's like expecting a Ferrari Engine to take the same abuse and be as durable as a Cummins Diesel.

Well, I pretty much agree 100% with everything here - except for the flight control restrictions that can't be deactivated in the version of the firmware that ships with the P2V+. But, then again, if you don't want to fly a gimped quad, there's a solution for too. All you need to do is download and flash the 1.08 firmware, and you're good to go.

I haven't had a need to do this yet with mine, but plan to if I ever decide to take it into DC to fly. I'm not sure that's a particularly good idea, so don't really have any plans to do this yet. But I do have to admit that some pictures of the top of the Washington Monument would be really cool if there would be a way to do it without creating problems with anybody who has law enforcement powers. (I suppose this is one of the few times in life where you're actually better off asking for permission than forgiveness.)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl