Electromagnetic interference crash

Reaction score
I crashed my phantom3 adv last night after encountering a red icon on the screen saying electromagnetical interference when closing in on my house. The bird veered on the last directed course correction and i battled to get her in. About 30 ft from touchdown with no wind, and out of my normal position.. i clipped a limb and came down on concrete. Banged in on one side/cracking the body in two spots. Camera still looks works, I can move it through controller however one of the 4 corners on the base that holds the camera/gimble to the base dampers (circular) is broken. Getting a message No Attitude from controller, and the electromagnetic interference prompt in areas I have never received it before incident (obviously wont calibrate).. Not looking for the whole new camera/gimbel assembly!?!??? Not sure I can resolve these issues own my own due to the prompts. Also one motor seems more resistant than the others that may have not experienced any trauma. I didn't want to push it and make more problems for myself, so any help on getting repairs conducted efficiently and promptly would be greatly appreciated. Please help an ole Kentucky boy, who could finally fly for the past several months. My daughter enjoys it as much as I, and is also very disappointed. (She wittnessed my sorrow yesterday and is an aviation kidd as well) Any help would be soooo appreciated. Thanx in advance.
BTW: I have over 50 flights and had only encountered the electromagnetic interference before moving to a different area to take off, but over 30 of those flights were in the same area of the crash. It never happened in that area.

Did you try switching to Atti mode to regain control?
Sorry to hear about the crash - try posting the log files lots of people on here can try to help from that.
If you had a genuine error you may get a free fix out of DJI?

Someone in one of the forums stated that electromagnetic activity has no effect on the Phantom. However I strongly disagree. I use a Geomagnetic Storm app on my phone & go to it to check the kp index before every flight. For instance, today it registered a kp1. That's ideal for safe flying. On the 20th of this month it was extremely high with a kp 4.5. That's a lot of electromagnetic solar interference and my bird was grounded for a few hours.

Reactions: Reed L
If that motor is stopping faster then the others, there's probably some dust or metal on the magnets. watch the video but look for black coal like spots on the magnet. It will be small if there but pull it apart and clean it. See if it returns to normal. You will be able to feel a little more resistance while hand spinning that motor compared to the others if it has something in it

Reactions: nickyb
Thanks for the help, it can't hurt to send to dji, and explain what happened... But would just like to get it taken care of soon and efficiently. Any good third party sites?

The motors are inexpensive and mass-produced.

There's no indication or documentation that states all should stop at the same time and it is unrealistic to expect such. How do you know they were all spinning at the same RPM upon shut-down?

It is easily felt that in some the 'cogging' is more pronounced again due to sentence #1.
This will produce a variation in standstill times.

It's just looking for problems that don't exist.

Well, what would u suggest? Not all four quit just fine for a 18 min flight.. Obviously something possibly went wrong with one due to the slow drift. Jus lookin for answers

The speed of each motor is constantly being adjusted in flight.

That is how is motion is created.

Also the quad is not perfectly balanced so one or more motors will always spin faster or slower depending.

Some drift is to be expected. These toys contain inexpensive components and one has to temper expectations. Pro level flight controllers alone cost more the the entire P3.

Reactions: bobmyers
Thanks for the help, it can't hurt to send to dji, and explain what happened... But would jus like to get it taken care of soon and efficently. Any good third party sights?
I agree! send it in and get it fixed properly!

Well, what would u suggest? Not all four quit just fine for a 18 min flight.. Obviously something possibly went wrong with one due to the slow drift. Jus lookin for answers

Do you have any flight logs you could share? Sounds like interference, but data could help pin point it.

Any logs? And do you mean it said compass interference? Or something different?

What were you flying near? And possible ideas on the sources of EM interference?

Is this a location you have flown in before? Do you have video?

I'm sure plenty of people around here (including myself) would love to help, but without any data, it's really just speculation...

@Lonewolf :
That might have been myself (along with a few others). EM interference can definitely bring down or otherwise impact the UAS.
EM interference sourced 8 light minutes away at the Sun, definitely cannot.
At worst, it would interfere with the GPS accuracy due to the way GPS atmospheric signal corrections work.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444009123.902448.jpg

I always fly well above the trees at least 30 meters. It was on the way down when I encountered compass/electromagnetic interference. Compass interference still shows up on screen when I turn it all on.

U can kinda tell where it all started to go a little haywire on way in. I'm pretty sure the drift may have been due to dislodging from gps. Need to send her off as soon as I can. Any thoughts?

Someone in one of the forums stated that electromagnetic activity has no effect on the Phantom. However I strongly disagree. I use a Geomagnetic Storm app on my phone & go to it to check the kp index before every flight. For instance, today it registered a kp1. That's ideal for safe flying. On the 20th of this month it was extremely high with a kp 4.5. That's a lot of electromagnetic solar interference and my bird was grounded for a few hours.
Which app is this? For Apple iOS...?

The K index thing has been greatly exaggerated.
You would have noticed no effect if you had flown with a K index of 4.5.

Reactions: Shammyh
Are you speaking scientifically or from independent first hand knowledge? Because it's widely known with ham radio operators that high solar activity certainly does interfere with radio frequencies across the spectrum.

I have certainly noticed my range decrease on high days.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl