Electrical short may happen over time (Pics)

Reaction score
This happened on my Phantom 2 v2.0. I fly this with a Zenmuse, GoPro & FPV.

Over time, the antenna wire wore through the protective layer on the central circuit board (see pics below).

This happened while I was flying, my Phantom lost all GPS satellites and became hard to fly. While I was trying to land it, I noticed the rear lights were solid red. Swapped out many parts before noticing the circuit board had what appeared to be an electrical burnt area.

I was able to swap parts from an older Phantom 2 and that's how I confirmed the problem. I did put a piece of electrical tape and I noticed the other board had a DJI sticker right where the wear point is.

Bottom of Phantom central circuit board shows signs of wear:
Central Circuit Board.jpg

Antenna connector on left also shows signs of wear
Radio Receiver.jpg

Following two pics shows how the two areas line up. Where it wore through was on the battery positive side heading to the motor ESC. I think it was not a continuous short, but brief enough to mess up the electronics on the central circuit board.
P1190408.JPG
P1190409.JPG

I bought this Phantom 2 V2.0 back in April 2015 and have never crashed it, only to find a flaw in DJI's design that almost caused me to have a not so perfect flight record.

This happened on my Phantom 2 v2.0. I fly this with a Zenmuse, GoPro & FPV.

Over time, the antenna wire wore through the protective layer on the central circuit board (see pics below).

This happened while I was flying, my Phantom lost all GPS satellites and became hard to fly. While I was trying to land it, I noticed the rear lights were solid red. Swapped out many parts before noticing the circuit board had what appeared to be an electrical burnt area.

I was able to swap parts from an older Phantom 2 and that's how I confirmed the problem. I did put a piece of electrical tape and I noticed the other board had a DJI sticker right where the wear point is.

Bottom of Phantom central circuit board shows signs of wear:
View attachment 48434
Antenna connector on left also shows signs of wear
View attachment 48435

Following two pics shows how the two areas line up. Where it wore through was on the battery positive side heading to the motor ESC. I think it was not a continuous short, but brief enough to mess up the electronics on the central circuit board.
View attachment 48436 View attachment 48437
I bought this Phantom 2 V2.0 back in April 2015 and have never crashed it, only to find a flaw in DJI's design that almost caused me to have a not so perfect flight record.

I have similar wear in the same location from the receiver boards antenna although there hasn't been any loss of GPS in over two years. Will cover that area to make sure it doesn't make contact in the future and it look like that area is close to the ESC B+ power supply . Only reason I had open is that the rear receiver antenna wire broke and am waiting for a replacement receiver module.

So thanks for sharing would have never noticed other wise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing