Editing GoPro footage in Premier

Reaction score
I'm hoping you can answer a question for me (I asked in the Adobe forum and didn't get a response).

I believe the general rule is to have the sequence settings match those of your primary clip/input video. Previously I instinctively set the sequence to match my desired output (1080p 25fps), and got really choppy playback when previewing the video. The explanation given is that the computer is having to transcode your raw video footage 'on the fly'.

However, my concern is that if I set the sequence to match my input video (from GoPro - 1080p 50fps), and I want to slow the video down by 50%, this will result in Premier trying to turn 50 frames per second into 100 frames per second, and won't result in the silky smooth end product that I'm after. Although it's entirely possible that Premier will do something clever when I eventually export the video to 1080p 25fps.

Does anyone with more experience of Premier have any pointers? Either directly to the question above, or even advice on what approach you take when editing your video.

Thanks,

I'm also using Adobe Premiere CC and I've read the best way to deal with this is to create a "New Sequence From Clip".

You can do this by right clicking on a clip that you have imported. This seems to have worked well for me.

Scott

Thanks, yeah I've previously been using the "New sequence from clip" option. However, I was recently advised to go to Clip>Modify>Interpret Footage and change this to the desired rate for slo mo (in my case 25 fps), before dragging on to the sequence.

I tried that tonight when editing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=040-k5bwp4Y&feature=youtu.be

It worked well. There's a couple of "jumpy" shots, but that's where I cranked the slow-mo up to 11, which was a mistake retrospectively.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl