Dual Battery Mod

So guys did I buy the wrong set of packs if I have a p4??

MaxAmps LiPo 1850 4S 14.8v Battery Pack

These are 14.8 volts.. I just didn't want something that was too much.. just a little extra flight time

???

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I know someone that uses those on his P4 and he said they work great.

... Just been thrown off a bit by a comment from an electrical engineer pipping up about parallel lipos.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

So guys did I buy the wrong set of packs if I have a p4??

MaxAmps LiPo 1850 4S 14.8v Battery Pack

These are 14.8 volts.. I just didn't want something that was too much.. just a little extra flight time

???

I have used 14.8 externals with my P4 battery, and half the record flights on the P4 leaderboard (that were done with battery mods) used 14.8 batteries! I have seen no evidence that there's a problem. In fact I've seen more evidence there's a problem when using 15.2 V batteries charged to their full 4.35 potential

Reactions: Digdat0
Switched side from the diagram in the pic above.

are you sure? this means the dji charger output 17,4v constant several amps without any charging logic (afaik), is directly connected to the the externals main leads, how can this not overcharge the externals?? how on earth could any balance leads prevent that?
(besides the fact that if you connect externals with different charging level to the balance connectors, a very high current will go through them)
am i totally dumb, what do i miss?

That guy is working with more advanced stuff then what we are doing. And working in under water stuff to. So in that work environment ,money is no problem.
We on the other hand are funded by our pocket.:confused:

Not my friend. Random guy on Facebook.

Thought I'd post his comments as after reading the whole of this thread I'd not seen any comments of mentions of this. Educational for all lol

Some here have had problems with the external battery trying to charge the DJI battery when they get all of it plugged in to fly. So there is a difference in battery charge and capacity. It is best to plug in all battery's and just take off and see what the app is reading.
It is all in this thread some where.

are you sure? this means the dji charger output 17,4v constant several amps without any charging logic (afaik), is directly connected to the the externals main leads, how can this not overcharge the externals?? how on earth could any balance leads prevent that?
(besides the fact that if you connect externals with different charging level to the balance connectors, a very high current will go through them)

okay, so thats not my diagram, and now i think it has switched/unswitched backwards. Especially if ya use the definition of "Unswitched power describes power that is always on while switched power refers to power that can be turned off and on". Lets move past terminology and look at pics :)

Here's one of my modded batteries, power is on the left. Meaning, direct power to the aircraft even if dji battery not powered on.

6Vn3atE.png

That left side connects directly to the power lead which goes into the phantom, essentially bypassing the smartboard. It sends current into the smartboard, like it was charging. But, the power cannot come "back" through the line - i've never had the DJI battery charge the externals, i think the smart board prevents that in some way? There are cases where the externals may charge the stock battery, i just let it do its thing, turn it all off and then restart and its good.

In this thread, I've read that folks have done both and found that the side shown in my pic above worked best (unless you are wanting to remove the dji battery cells and hookup the smartboard to externals). And, it has benefits .. if the DJI battery runs out of juice, you can continue to fly on the externals; that is, the aircraft is able to still fly and stay connected to the RC running only off the external batteries, despite the stock battery being dead. You may see a "battery error" in DJI go, but all connectivity will stay. If you run the power leads on the other spot, as soon as the stock battery goes dead, you lose power from the externals, it cuts it off. I've found my externals always have 5-7% mah left, even if i land at 0/1%, so i see that as some 'reserves' which i can use if really have to. I've flown for 2min in this state before. It wasn't fun, but the phantom came back to me :)

Last edited:
Reactions: petermeter
Some here have had problems with the external battery trying to charge the DJI battery when they get all of it plugged in to fly. So there is a difference in battery charge and capacity. It is best to plug in all battery's and just take off and see what the app is reading. It is all in this thread some where.

For those on the thread, here's a video of what it looks like when the 'charging issue' happens.

But maxwell, i have to disagree about just plugging in and taking off. I've done this and the battery started charging in flight, ended up turning off on me and then I got the battery signal error (you can see the video has an example, but its on my table, not flying). Luckily, it kept in flight and was able to return, but it scared the piss out of me. I always recommend folks wait a few seconds, ensure the charging issue does not happen. if it does, its best to just let it finish and after it turns the battery off, simply turn it back on and then fly. This drains the battery less than hovering in flight, waiting for it to happen and then landing.

Reactions: maxwell smart
In your experience, does the battery shut off after the charge sequence that quickly all the time, or can it do that for minutes? I'd be ok waiting it out on the ground for that mere 5 seconds but waiting for extended periods of time would be problematic. So far I have turned on the dji battery, waited until sats are locked and all is well, then plugged in the externals and take off quickly to hover and confirm all is well. No problem thus far with that routine. Oh, I also plug in the balance connector too before I do the power connector. Not sure if that matters.

In your experience, does the battery shut off after the charge sequence that quickly all the time, or can it do that for minutes? I'd be ok waiting it out on the ground for that mere 5 seconds but waiting for extended periods of time would be problematic. So far I have turned on the dji battery, waited until sats are locked and all is well, then plugged in the externals and take off quickly to hover and confirm all is well. No problem thus far with that routine. Oh, I also plug in the balance connector too before I do the power connector. Not sure if that matters.

If it happens, which is not always (maybe 3/10 times), its only a few seconds. The longest i waited was maybe 30 seconds, but its rare. I've noticed it happens less often with newer batteries, which have a longer life left. I have one old battery (was my first) which only has like 75% life left, that one does it 100% of the time, but my brand new battery hasnt done it yet. I wonder if different models of the batteries are affected differently, but i'm too lazy to test/research

Ru kidding look at that!!!! I would not trust it!!!!! parts are .. 50cents and selling it for 30.00????? WHAT!!! LOOKS like a half baked idea???

I must be half baked for buying it then...First flight 29min30s down to 13% with split 5200...I'll try anything...I can use it with any battery...I payed $40 bucks for this and if it keeps working like it is I'd pay $50 just for the idea....Still early to really tell but the first flight was flawless....

A new modded battery from Horizon $184...this mods any battery for $40....Of course you do have to buy a lipo charger...

image.jpeg
I must be half baked for buying it then...First flight 29min30s down to 13% with split 5200...I'll try anything...I can use it with any battery...I payed $40 bucks for this and if it keeps working like it is I'd pay $50 just for the idea....Still early to really tell but the first flight was flawless....

A new modded battery from Horizon $184...this mods any battery for $40....Of course you do have to buy a lipo charger...
If it happens, which is not always (maybe 3/10 times), its only a few seconds. The longest i waited was maybe 30 seconds, but its rare. I've noticed it happens less often with newer batteries, which have a longer life left. I have one old battery (was my first) which only has like 75% life left, that one does it 100% of the time, but my brand new battery hasnt done it yet. I wonder if different models of the batteries are affected differently, but i'm too lazy to test/research
Hey digdat0 have tested these TP batteries did not get the fly time I had hoped for.30 mins down to about 8/10%. They have a low C rating at max discharge 10C this is to low.other wise they would have been a good choice.going to be sending them back.

Some here have had problems with the external battery trying to charge the DJI battery when they get all of it plugged in to fly. So there is a difference in battery charge and capacity. It is best to plug in all battery's and just take off and see what the app is reading.
It is all in this thread some where.
thanks, i know that and there are different workarounds, i tried them and they work.ive read the thread...
(but it has nothing to do with the question)

okay, so thats not my diagram, and now i think it has switched/unswitched backwards. Especially if ya use the definition of "Unswitched power describes power that is always on while switched power refers to power that can be turned off and on". Lets move past terminology and look at pics :)

Here's one of my modded batteries, power is on the left. Meaning, direct power to the aircraft even if dji battery not powered on.

6Vn3atE.png

That left side connects directly to the power lead which goes into the phantom, essentially bypassing the smartboard. It sends current into the smartboard, like it was charging. But, the power cannot come "back" through the line - i've never had the DJI battery charge the externals, i think the smart board prevents that in some way? There are cases where the externals may charge the stock battery, i just let it do its thing, turn it all off and then restart and its good.

In this thread, I've read that folks have done both and found that the side shown in my pic above worked best (unless you are wanting to remove the dji battery cells and hookup the smartboard to externals). And, it has benefits .. if the DJI battery runs out of juice, you can continue to fly on the externals; that is, the aircraft is able to still fly and stay connected to the RC running only off the external batteries, despite the stock battery being dead. You may see a "battery error" in DJI go, but all connectivity will stay. If you run the power leads on the other spot, as soon as the stock battery goes dead, you lose power from the externals, it cuts it off. I've found my externals always have 5-7% mah left, even if i land at 0/1%, so i see that as some 'reserves' which i can use if really have to. I've flown for 2min in this state before. It wasn't fun, but the phantom came back to me :)

hi, and thanks for elaborating and pics.

so the dji battery cells main leads go to the UNSWITCHED connections of the smartboard,
and if the dji bat is SWITCHED on, the power that now can go through it, comes out at the SWITCHED side (hence the name) and goes to the bat plug, which plugged wheter to the copter or the charger.

- if the dji bat is switched on and is in the copter, the power goes from the dji bat cells to the UNSWITCHED SIDE, then through the smartboard come out at the SWITCHED SIDE, go to the bat plug and from there to the copter mainboard and is used.

- if the dji bat is connected to the charger, the power goes from the charger to the bat plug which is directly connected to the SWITCHED SIDE (no matter if the batt is switched on or off) of the smartboard,
an through the smartboard, which regulates charging voltage and current, to the UNSWITCHED SIDE, from there to the dji bat cells. (maybe also through the balance leads)

- if the externals bat main leads are connected to the UNSWITCHED SIDE of the smartboard, the externals are like an extension of the dji cells,
but this does not work well because the smartboard only lets through
a certain amount of mah, so this is not recommended.
(it might be resetted by disconnecting the dji cells balance cables, some button long press magic etc.
one user a few months ago mentioned he found a way but wanted to test it further, but nothing followed, why is there made a mystery of this things??)

- if the external main leads are connected to the SWITCHED SIDE of the smartboard, their power goes directly to the dji bat plug and from there to the copter, and just adds the mah to the dji mah,
which works good,
(except the littles issue with the dji bat going to charging mode,
which can easily be resolved by bringing the externals to 0,1-0,2 volts less thang the dji batt BEFORE putting the dji bat into the copter and connecting the externals, for example with a halogen-discharger+voltmeter,
or taking off quickly after connecting the externals, i tried both with sucess)

but the question is,
you say the externals bat main leads in your horizon mod are connected to
the SWITCHED SIDE of the dji bat,
where also the dji charger is DIRECTLY connected,
so the charger and the externals are directly connected,
and they can be charged this way, and it seems to work, but
WHY DO THE EXTERNALS NOT EXPLODE AFTER SOME CHARGING TIME?
because the dji charger is, afaik, a simple constant voltage power brick.
the balance leads can not prevent that current flow.

(next problem: if you connect the balance leads from the dji batt to the externals balance connector
while the externals are empty and the dji bat is full or the other way around,
the cells of the fuller bat will immediately start "charging" the cells ot the emptier one
through the balance leads without any electronics with an extreme current, only limited by the wire resistance, so you are not supposed to do that, or what?)

do i missunderstand any terminology, isnt it true that
the SWITCHED SIDE of the smartboard solder joints is directly connected,
without any electronics in between, to the dji bat plug ?
is there a tiny diode somewhere?

Last edited:
@Digdat0
"i've never had the DJI battery charge the externals, i think the smart board prevents that in some way?"
no, the smartboard couldnt prevent that and doesnt need to do it,
because it might happen a little, you wont notice it, and it does not really matter,
because both the dji cells through the "smart"board and the externals are parallel drained and the power goes from both to the drone

View attachment 65522

Hey digdat0 have tested these TP batteries did not get the fly time I had hoped for.30 mins down to about 8/10%. They have a low C rating at max discharge 10C this is to low.other wise they would have been a good choice.going to be sending them back.

Ahhh so it was too good to be true. Looks like 20-25c discharge is right for the phantom. That's too bad though, cause the weight to mah ratio on the TP is really good. Was the remaining % in the TP the same as the Dji battery (comparing mah left), or was it off a good bit after landing?

Ahhh so it was too good to be true. Looks like 20-25c discharge is right for the phantom. That's too bad though, cause the weight to mah ratio on the TP is really good. Was the remaining % in the TP the same as the Dji battery (comparing mah left), or was it off a good bit after landing?
The TP was higher mah when landing but very close to the dji battery volt.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94