Dual Battery Mod

I'm chalking it up to environmental for me... I just did 4.7mi at 150ft alt no problem yesterday while breaking the battery in. Haven't touched a thing but it was a bit hazy/humid today.
The hazy/humid/coastal fog was definitely present here, too, tonight. Water/moisture is supposedly one of the worst impediments to the 2.4 band. However, even immediately after rainstorms, I have had excellent long range FPV video reception with the old bird. It is definitely inconsistent, too! Some days are much better than others. However, only the FPV is inconsistent. The improved RC control range is unaffected.

So if I wanted to do what FPV horizon does in the uk with the v3 mod.

I would run the balance leads to the 2 slave packs in series ... And run the power in series to the Un switched tinned ports?

Effectively tricking the smart cap into thinking each of its 4 cells were actually double the size ?

Edit: I should point out, I'm not trying to rip off horizon, they don't deliver to Canada , and I want to experiment myself.

And doing this would allow the battery & slave to be charged as one battery , which seems like a safer alternative to some ideas out there.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I probably need a link to the specific extended solution you are talking about. But every extended flight solution I have seen uses the P3 smart battery as the central battery and manager, and, to be conservative, systems always seem to supplement around that. So, there may be two other 4s's running in parallel. But, there are a lot of possibilities. For example, wired correctly, two 2s's in series can be the exact equivalent of a 4s if the cell size (and design) is the same.

My big deal is to see if I can not only re-cycle these smart-battery controls, as that isn't even what initially motivated me. I want to see what happens when I take that tired DJI battery out, and put a fresh one in. Heck, one the same size, maybe one a little bigger. Maybe don't use the center cavity, and use the sides, and put two 2s's and wire in series as a 4s, a bigger 4s, but much lighter than anything we have tried... You get the idea... But will it work? That is the million dollar question..... I am beginning to repeat myself, aren't I :).... Ok, I will shut up....

Btw, the smart battery plays possum. In testing the pin-outs I generated a few sparks. After a while the thing stopped turning on for me. It looked about as dead as dead can be. I figured I messed it up. A few hours later it was good as new. Don't ever throw them away! I bet they were designed that way :)

Reactions: KyleMaxxUAV
Nice illustration. So do the battery mods have the leads soldered to the unswitched pads or just to the back of the DJI battery connector? This would explain why the drone powers up if you connect the extra batteries even with the P3 main battery off.

The one I purchased came connected to switched. It probably doesn't matter much, but if they were tied to unswitched, they would be handier to use for charging. A few pages back is an example of on that came with a balance plug as well. This would all be unswitched.

Are you guys using the pinwheel 2.4 antennas or dipoles antennas with the side air
amp mod?

Kevin
I'm using 4 dipoles and so far the results have been great. I've been slowly working my way out and the last flight was 15k with perfect signal. Except 25-50 ft out is a little shaky on the rc signal but it's not bad and only briefly. The weather turned bad on me today so hopefully tomorrow I can fly it till the signal goes out. Anything less than 5 miles will be a disappointment.

I probably need a link to the specific extended solution you are talking about. But every extended flight solution I have seen uses the P3 smart battery as the central battery and manager, and, to be conservative, systems always seem to supplement around that. So, there may be two other 4s's running in parallel. But, there are a lot of possibilities. For example, wired correctly, two 2s's in series can be the exact equivalent of a 4s if the cell size (and design) is the same.

My big deal is to see if I can not only re-cycle these smart-battery controls, as that isn't even what initially motivated me. I want to see what happens when I take that tired DJI battery out, and put a fresh one in. Heck, one the same size, maybe one a little bigger. Maybe don't use the center cavity, and use the sides, and put two 2s's and wire in series as a 4s, a bigger 4s, but much lighter than anything we have tried... You get the idea... But will it work? That is the million dollar question..... I am beginning to repeat myself, aren't I :).... Ok, I will shut up....

Btw, the smart battery plays possum. In testing the pin-outs I generated a few sparks. After a while the thing stopped turning on for me. It looked about as dead as dead can be. I figured I messed it up. A few hours later it was good as new. Don't ever throw them away! I bet they were designed that way :)

Phantom 3 Power Mod V3 save 25 % during February.

I'm using 4 dipoles and so far the results have been great. I've been slowly working my way out and the last flight was 15k with perfect signal. Except 25-50 ft out is a little shaky on the rc signal but it's not bad and only briefly. The weather turned bad on me today so hopefully tomorrow I can fly it till the signal goes out. Anything less than 5 miles will be a disappointment.

Ok great to hear, I just talked to tony today again,.. and I took 2 flights out tonight and got
8000 feet ,I lost only 1 bar for a very short time (2 sec.) and then back to full bars,.but I am
using the pinwheel antennas, ,,tony said that the pinwheel antennas are stronger signal
when facing forward and returning back home , meaning front of the bird and the back of
the bird,,,,,so NEXT i'am going to try the dipoles antennas and see if I get better signal, dipoles are to be a bit weeker BUT have a 100% surround side signal.....your thoughts?

Kevin

Ok great to hear, I just talked to tony today again,.. and I took 2 flights out tonight and got
8000 feet ,I lost only 1 bar for a very short time (2 sec.) and then back to full bars,.but I am
using the pinwheel antennas, ,,tony said that the pinwheel antennas are stronger signal
when facing forward and returning back home , meaning front of the bird and the back of
the bird,,,,,so NEXT i'am going to try the dipoles antennas and see if I get better signal, dipoles are to be a bit weeker BUT have a 100% surround side signal.....your thoughts?

Kevin
Are you using the dbs panel or fpvlr cp antenna?

Ok cool. You will probably get better results with the pinwheels then. I'm using a boosted dbs and all 4 of my phantoms antennas are dipoles. How many antennas have you replaced ?

Just one, its on N2 leg and 1 pinwheel antenna. i'am also just getting use to the week RC
signal when you first take off due to the high noise, ..before the air side amp mod, I never
had this problem,

Just one, its on N2 leg and 1 pinwheel antenna. i'am also just getting use to the week RC
signal when you first take off due to the high noise, ..before the air side amp mod, I never
had this problem,
Yeah I almost soiled myself when I lost rc signal 30 ft from me the first time. The weird thing is that it's fine on takeoff just on the landing was it bad. I made a couple adjustments and it's only a couple bars now . Do you a dbs panel to try out and see if the results are any better?

Yeah I almost soiled myself when I lost rc signal 30 ft from me the first time. The weird thing is that it's fine on takeoff just on the landing was it bad. I made a couple adjustments and it's only a couple bars now . Do you a dbs panel to try out and see if the results are any better?

Well, now that we know the RC problem has been solved, I will try the dipole antenna next ,... this all has to due with location, position of the antenna, and weather....
it seems that many people with this issue also have the same problem,
different distance, and all above have to play in with this....
Kevin

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Phantom 3 Power Mod V3 save 25 % during February.

That looks like a DJ battery I can't be positive. The setup looks elaborate, and well thought out. Probably the best I have seen. And, I think yes, that probably is two 2s's in series comprising a single 4s.

It is very close to the configuration I am working towards, except I want to lose the tired, heavy DJ battery in the middle, and beef up the side-board batteries for a total of two, only.

How are you accommodating the two supplemental batteries with the birdside video mod? I asked Tony to do the birdside video mod for me, as long as there would still be room for my extra batteries. Tony told me there wasn't room for both mods. Has he now found a solution for you, that will still fit two larger 2300 or 2800 mAh batteries, plus the birdside video mod? If so, sign me up! :cool:

I had great hopes this evening using Channel 21 instead of Channel 30 with my Sunhans amped FPVLR v2 mod on my RC. Unfortunately, the video signal stability at long range was not improved, and was, in fact, the worst yet, even though Channel 21 is just as quiet as Channel 30. What else might I be missing? Transmitter mod is not the issue. It worked perfectly with my original 323 old motor bird out to 5 miles. Now, anything beyond 3 miles is unstable on the replacement 323A bird with new motors.

I'm getting best results with autochannels.

I'm getting best results with autochannels.
I'll definitely give that a try. However, autochannel cannot use the channel hack with DJI GO. It limits you to the channels supported by DJI GO without the channel hack, and if the autoselected channel is not one that the amplifier supports, supposedly the amplifier is nullified. Your thoughts?

All the autochannels are in sunhans 2.4-2.5g range. Without amps i was using higher channels but not anymore, they just wont work good enough.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
How are you accommodating the two supplemental batteries with the birdside video mod? I asked Tony to do the birdside video mod for me, as long as there would still be room for my extra batteries. Tony told me there wasn't room for both mods. Has he now found a solution for you, that will still fit two larger 2300 or 2800 mAh batteries, plus the birdside video mod? If so, sign me up! :cool:
I had tony move the amp to the inside of the bird which helped out . The 1300 and the 1600's fit good but the 2200's don't fit very well. I'm in the process of trying to find another way to get those on.

That looks like a DJ battery I can't be positive. The setup looks elaborate, and well thought out. Probably the best I have seen. And, I think yes, that probably is two 2s's in series comprising a single 4s.

It is very close to the configuration I am working towards, except I want to lose the tired, heavy DJ battery in the middle, and beef up the side-board batteries for a total of two, only.

Yeah in the description if says he uses a DJI battery, you send him 2 DJI batteries and he mods one with the wires and the second one he splits up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic