Dropping Payloads with DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

I'v been wanting to rig something up to release a line. Would be great for offshore and surf fishing.

I dont think i'm just reading what I want but what I got out of this ,,,,
However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property,,,
is that it would be perfectly legal
Try an out rigger or down rigger clip.

When I as was flying RC fixed wing we would often drop flour "bombs" and see who would get closest to the target. It is amazing how often the spectators would get hit - was everyone's aim really that bad???
As to drones being uses to drop stuff into prisons there are much lower tech versions that work. Someone was caught at our local prison using a ball thrower with a tennis ball. I hope the dog didn't get the wrong ball..........

The Phantom 2 R/C used 6 of it's 7 channels for a long time. Then eventually someone got wise to this and figured out with adding a switch the camera tilt feature could be controlled. Soon after these drop release mechanisms could added for someone that didn't have interest in the tilt feature.

And then not long after that dji finally added the tilt in the firmware and designed a new R/C with a thumb wheel similar to what we have now. And if I'm not mistaken, we have a option to program the C1 or C2 button on the bottom of the R/C? I don't know if there is a open source in the P3 that would allow something to be added and then controlled remotely or not?

A quick search of the FARs yielded this:
Federal Aviation Regulation Sec. 91.15 - Dropping objects.

Ask any skydiving pilot who wants to keep his

However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property,,,
I'v been wanting to rig something up to release a line. Would be great for offshore and surf fishing.

....[/QUOTE]

Exactly right. The person quoting the FAR is just one more person going on about nonexistent law that when you read it actually says there is nothing illegal about it. Stop it already.

Reactions: Phantom fisher
I have seen a guy attach 4 x small bags of bait to the bottom of his p3A and use pva string 5ft long when the pva comes into contact with water it melts and his bait was dropped just where he wanted it good thinking on his part .The Dutch company dronexpert nl have made a few things for the phantoms
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcceZRmd5W4

Thats what I'v been looking into. I have a few laying around just have to get the nerve up to snap it out of the clip:mad:
Would probably just take a few close up flights to get the tension right. I used to dream of this when we would drum fish off of the core banks.

A quick search of the FARs yielded this:
Federal Aviation Regulation Sec. 91.15 - Dropping objects.

Ask any skydiving pilot who wants to keep his licence for more info.

I was thinking of an Off-Load Hook not for dropping things from the sky but as a safety release holding a grappling assembly. It would be used for rescuing stuck aircraft out of trees and such. Once the hook is set, if the drag pulls to hard, you release the rope or string and try pulling it loose from the ground.
*** Do something productive, rescue something expensive in a tree for free. ***

It uses a custom interface (uP) and the P.A.F. switch to actuate a PWM servo
If any engineers out there can draw out the P3 Control Interface schematic I'll make it myself. It's probably a cheep micro circuit that isolates and switches the landing gear on a frequency that travels on the same port the gimbal connects into. That's why all of them you see are small homemade heat shrink rapped bundles with servo connector leads hanging out. It has to be an easy build. Someone just needs to be brave and cut the heat shrink off and give me the part no. or take a picture.:sunglasses:

[QUOTE="ParsnipHysorter, post: 548923, member: 38574"

Exactly right. The person quoting the FAR is just one more person going on about nonexistent law that when you read it actually says there is nothing illegal about it. Stop it already.[/QUOTE]

This non-existent law you speak of... You might want to read over the registration documentation if and when you finally decide to comply with the FAA's rules for UAS'.

If you know anything about the FAA or have dealt with them in any fashion, which like it or not, you are going to have to eventually, you know that no matter what they will find some FAR that you have violated should an incident occur.

You can bet your bottom dollar that should some bonehead out there drop something that causes damage or injury on the ground and the incident is investigated the FAR will be brought up. It is what it is.

I'm not leaning either way on the whole argument about registration and what not, but I can tell you that the boneheads doing stupid things with their UAS's are the ones who are causing this wrath.

Reactions: markh1
I love how non-pilots love to spout off about FARs not being laws or some such drivel. As a commercial pilot and certified flight instructor I can tell you that since the FAA is classifying our MRs as aircraft, they will, along with the NTSB, crucify you when you a) do something stupid that b)garners attention and c)injures or kills someone. From a civil liability standpoint, the lawyer for the injured party will certainly use your violation of said FARs as proof of your negligence. Oh, and if you are counting on your liability insurance to cover you, well, if found in violation of these pesky FARs, they will drop you like a hot potato. Most liability policies have clauses that nullify your coverage if you are found to have broken the law. It's turning into a whole new world once the FAA says that toy your playing with is really classified as an aircraft. Stupidity is gonna get real expensive in the not so distant future. Just wait and see. It's my belief that's why the FAA Is doing what they are doing. Best way to CYA is to follow the guidelines, register your MR, and don't be stupid.

Reactions: Couchie
The first thing on the FAA Drone Registry Site reads, how the FAA is encouraging local, state and other law enforcement to help them chase down those worse than ISIS RC enthusiast. But what the Fed's are being overwhelmingly ask to enforce is our borders. But no, the Feds are creating regulation restricting law enforcement, disabling them from asking illegals anything including detaining them. But, RC pilots, flying those toys like Andy taught Opie back in Mayberry face up to $27,000 and three years in jail. I guess that money will help pay for federally funded social programs. Actually, there is a problem growing at an exponentially increasing rate as forecast by drone sales over the past few years. Amazon and other large distributors including Dji showed profits in the 100,000,000 plus range. This year by Christmas, Dji forecast drone sales profits to be in the billions, hence, the FAA's rush to control the coming swarm. However, it has been heavily argued by a top DOT official that aerial fencing would do a better, much less intrusive job at controlling where drones fly. The AMA is urging hobbyist who fly model aircraft or UAS owners to HOLD OFF ON REGISTERING UNTIL THE FEBRUARY DEADLINE
I'm sitting on the proverbial fence. I see both sides of the issue. Be Safe and remember, Don't Drink and Drone!

If they really want to lay on the charges they may involve the FCC as well.

Modifying the RF emission equipment to exceed 47 CFR Part 15 rules is a no-no.

If any engineers out there can draw out the P3 Control Interface schematic I'll make it myself. It's probably a cheep micro circuit that isolates and switches the landing gear on a frequency that travels on the same port the gimbal connects into. That's why all of them you see are small homemade heat shrink rapped bundles with servo connector leads hanging out. It has to be an easy build. Someone just needs to be brave and cut the heat shrink off and give me the part no. or take a picture.:sunglasses:

Never read about a 'homemade' unit.

I was referring to the RCDepot device .

Speculation is it is a small PIC type processor that 'sits' on the Rx-MC comm buss.
A program then monitors the buss for the specified P.A.F. channel activity and generates the PWM signal for the servo actuation.

Reactions: markh1
I have several RC aircraft that came with factory-installed drops. A B-17 & B-25 with remote bombay doors - even included little foam bombs and parachuted army men. I have a F4U Corsair with remote bomb drops for the included (& very detailed...too nice to drop!) bombs.

I've seen a Corsair with remote "rockets." The rockets were foam covers that slipped over bottle rockets removed from the sticks. It looked to be a real PITA to attach all the igniter leads!

I once watched an amazing B-52 with a remotely launchable rocket-powered X-15 slung beneath the wing! The X-15 used an Estes model rocket engine. It was very cool.

I think a remote water balloon drop would be kind of cool. :cool:

I was looking for a drop mechanism myself and two sources said FAA has regulations against it, which makes sense because nobody makes such an obvious product. This would be easy to make, a simple $30 device you tie wrap onto your drone with a battery powered Wi-Fi button transmitter. Easy.

Another guy at Interdrone was promoting drone golf and it went nowhere because it was illegal.

After thinking about it, I agree. I don't want hundreds of drone pilots dropping stuff from the sky. That won't help our cause to promote safe flying. I think I prefer a ban on drop mechanisms for drones, even though I had plans to use such a device for search and rescue.

I have several RC aircraft that came with factory-installed drops. A B-17 & B-25 with remote bombay doors - even included little foam bombs and parachuted army men. I have a F4U Corsair with remote bomb drops for the included (& very detailed...too nice to drop!) bombs.

I've seen a Corsair with remote "rockets." The rockets were foam covers that slipped over bottle rockets removed from the sticks. It looked to be a real PITA to attach all the igniter leads!

I once watched an amazing B-52 with a remotely launchable rocket-powered X-15 slung beneath the wing! The X-15 used an Estes model rocket engine. It was very cool.

I think a remote water balloon drop would be kind of cool. :cool:

Yea.

Mr. Locke is incorrect.

One example: 'Ball drops' from helicopters at Golf Courses are a common way to raise funds.

(firing projectiles is an entirely different subject)

Yes, adding a supplemental control system is another option with more complexity and weight but obviously doable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan