Dropping Payloads with DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

Exactly what I finished. Its modular so it can be installed and removed when needed. Its purpose is to grapple a stuck RC in a tree perhaps. If said grapple becomes stuck, you have an emergency safty release to leave the other craft behind. Nothing to do with dropping "payloads from the sky". Furthermore, if you have or do not have a lic. If you crash, hurt somebody or thing, your in no less trouble. They will still smack your ***. So do or don't, your asking for trouble with this unlawfully power grab. My opinion, take them, the FAA, before Congress and the Supreme Court, reverse the unlawful power grab (by not allowing federal mandated 60 days of hearing's from professional organizations, group's and even DOT experts), separate yesterdays RC hobbies from todays Drones and their capabilities, and now you have a true issue that can be logically debated and indorsed. But although there is an issue, nobody is above the constitution. Not just the Almighty FFA. But Govt. Is getting by with by passing set in stone laws, rules, regulations and federal mandates larger than themselves and expecting their boss, oh, that would be " we the people" to lay down? NO! This is exactly what leads to cival unrest and has been known t end in all out rebellion and war. They must follow the law correctly and first, then we must follow the law. Now, common since says drones are outside the norm for RC. So start there and separate planes on a string from truly salient issues. This is equivalent to regulation on cow farts. All said and done, yes, they can hammer your life right now. That's my soap dope opinion. ~The End~

Reactions: Apilot101
Your Caps Lock is on.

Very annoying.

Reactions: Phantomix
Be aware is against FAA regulation to drop anything from a flying craft.

That doesn't hold water. There are many circumstances where things are dropped from aircraft. Some military, some civilian. Wing tanks for example of military drops. For civilian, there are many circumstances where things are dropped from aircraft. Examples would be bush/alaska drops of supplies where landing is not possible or practical, rescue devices/supplies, etc.

As stated the FAA does curtail it to a certain extent, but its not outright banned anywhere I can find in regs.

Certainly dropping something hazardous or in a situation that could cause injury would fit the regs as being not legal. However, dropping a flower to your SO on valentien's day would not be (unless it was planted in a clay pot at the time you dropped it!).

I think that has been refuted here many times since that was posted 8 mos. ago.

So long as precautions are taken against harm or damage dropping items are fine be it hobby or other.

Often local charities do 'ball drops' from helis at golf courses for example.

In, or closest to the hole, wins!

I think that has been refuted here many times since that was posted 8 mos. ago.

So long as precautions are taken against harm or damage dropping items are fine be it hobby or other.

Often local charities do 'ball drops' from helis at golf courses for example.

In, or closest to the hole, wins!

I haven't seen one of those! I bet thats a blast to watch.

Reactions: phantom1972
I haven't seen one of those! I bet thats a blast to watch.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just the first I found, nothing special otherwise.

Just the first I found, nothing special otherwise.

Rofl! Not the mental image I had! I thought each person went up and threw one ball at the hole. I never imagined a whole bucket at once. That was hilarious to see!

How about one like this?

incorrect

Sec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

I'm fairly certain a 2 oz fishing weight dropped into a tree from a few feet above it will be fine.

That being said, the FAA and I don't care much about one another.

How about one like this?

I've looked into that one

1. Way too pricy for the price of the component

2. Plus shipping and item price reaching $200 something

That's the reason I'm making my own that work the same way, better component and more half cheaper than that price tag

Sec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.
are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

Both and neither. I'm posting the correct information.
You answered the question, it is not illegal to drop something if precaution is taken to prevent damage to property or people. We used to have sponsored contests at flight school where we would drop chalk bags out of the aircraft flying around the pattern to hit a target painted on the runway.

I'm attempting to use my DJI Phantom to drop a light payload. It doesn't seem possible (or advisable) to rig the gimbal to trigger some kind of release.

It looks like I'll need to figure out how to remotely drop a payload by attaching a servo. Does anyone know of a low-cost means of achieving this?

Or if someone more creative than me can engineer a solution without using a servo (and just the gimbal), that would be cool.

The proposed use of servos etc seems unnecessary to me. If the objective is simply to drop off a very light payload then I would try bending some fine wire into a flat bottomed hook (facing forward) and attach it to the landing gear such that when flying forward, a string loop holding the payload would be forced to the back of the hook and remain in place. When you subsequently reverse the drone, the string loop would be blown off the front of the hook and drop off. This would likely work very well for something like a flower attached to a string loop which would be blown off the hook very easily. Not very elaborate but extremely inexpensive and would likely do the job. I might even try it myself.

Manual Payload drop maze for DJI phantom 3 4. rescue, drone fishing, release mechanism

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan