Dropping Payloads with DJI Phantom 3 Advanced

Reaction score
I'm attempting to use my DJI Phantom to drop a light payload. It doesn't seem possible (or advisable) to rig the gimbal to trigger some kind of release.

It looks like I'll need to figure out how to remotely drop a payload by attaching a servo. Does anyone know of a low-cost means of achieving this?

Or if someone more creative than me can engineer a solution without using a servo (and just the gimbal), that would be cool.

Seems similar to the OEM adaptation for retractable gear.

The P3 is a bit different but there is a retractable gear mod from rcdepothobbies.com.

It uses a custom interface (uP) and the P.A.F. switch to actuate a PWM servo.
This interface could be used to drive any servo based design you may come up with.

Are there any docs guiding us lesser skilled folks around using the PAF switch to trigger something like that?

I don't think you are right about that.
I was looking for a drop mechanism myself and two sources said FAA has regulations against it, which makes sense because nobody makes such an obvious product. This would be easy to make, a simple $30 device you tie wrap onto your drone with a battery powered Wi-Fi button transmitter. Easy.

Another guy at Interdrone was promoting drone golf and it went nowhere because it was illegal.

After thinking about it, I agree. I don't want hundreds of drone pilots dropping stuff from the sky. That won't help our cause to promote safe flying. I think I prefer a ban on drop mechanisms for drones, even though I had plans to use such a device for search and rescue.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4wd
Often at rc airplane events people will rig up rc airplanes to drop candy or little parachute toys. Just be smart about it.

If it were me, I'd probably just attach a 5v regulator to the main board and use that to power a cheap receiver for another radio. Something cheap like an orangerx. There are all kinds of drop mechanisms out there but you could probably hack something together with a servo and some foam board and hot glue.

....you could probably hack something together with a servo and some foam board and hot glue.

Add some chewing gum and a paperclip and there's no stopping you!

;):p

A quick search of the FARs yielded this:
Federal Aviation Regulation Sec. 91.15 - Dropping objects.

Ask any skydiving pilot who wants to keep his licence for more info.

I'v been wanting to rig something up to release a line. Would be great for offshore and surf fishing.

I dont think i'm just reading what I want but what I got out of this ,,,,
However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property,,,
is that it would be perfectly legal

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan