Dropped my battery. Should I replace?

Reaction score
Are the batteries for the Phantom durable against drops? Had a friend over who was holding the battery by itself, ended up slipping out of his hand, hit a corner on my desk before hitting the carpet floor for about a 3 ft drop. Think I can still trust it to remain fully functional for flights?

Upon further inspection and comparison to another battery, there's absolutely no visual damage to the battery, however, there is just a smidge of wiggle room of the cell within the carriage from left to right and vice versa, and I mean just barely, but on the battery that wasn't dropped there is absolutely none.

It *may* be that this battery was already like this prior to the drop, but I doubt it.

Can anyone confirm whether their battery is 100% snugly secure in the carriage (white shell of the battery that wraps around the gray cell, not the Phantom) or do some of you have a little wiggle room as well? I'm thinking I'm probably fine, I also checked the readings of it on the Phantom Assist software and everything seems good. My only concern would be that an internal connection of the battery could now be loose and at stake while in flight. I'm being really **** about it and will probably just order another battery just to be on the safe side, but I am curious to hear whether you guys think it'd be OK.

Thanks in advance!

I would recommend to try it out at a really low height on the phantom and just let it run, in case it fails then it can have a minor minor drop

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've checked it out a little more today and what I think I'm feeling/seeing is that the cell itself isn't really loose, it seems to have a solid mount to the back portion where the LED display is and the connection is made-- the shell just has the ability to flex a tad. I believe once inside the Phantom it's going to be fine, but I'll be sure to test at very low altitudes after a full charge to see how it goes. I'll keep you all posted! Feel free to keep your input coming I appreciate it!

Reactions: 18Wills
ScampaDawg87 said:
Thanks for the replies, guys. I've checked it out a little more today and what I think I'm feeling/seeing is that the cell itself isn't really loose, it seems to have a solid mount to the back portion where the LED display is and the connection is made-- the shell just has the ability to flex a tad. I believe once inside the Phantom it's going to be fine, but I'll be sure to test at very low altitudes after a full charge to see how it goes. I'll keep you all posted! Feel free to keep your input coming I appreciate it!

Before try it, do not forget to remove the camera assembly first, which is now cost more than $800 and is very fragile!

I've had them apart, to coat with waterproofing, and can tell you they are built strong enough to take some minor shocks. I'd bet your battery should be fine, but as mentioned, keep it in close and over grass for a few flights, just to be sure.

ScampaDawg87 said:
I'm being really **** about it and will probably just order another battery just to be on the safe side, but I am curious to hear whether you guys think it'd be OK.

There's nothing **** about being overly conscious when it comes to this hobby.
better safe than sorry.

But you're probably fine.
the only way to know 100% tho is to try charging and flying with it,. first at a relatively low level, gradually flying more aggressive with it, put it thru it's paces. If all seems fine, it's probably fine. ,. then take it out on some regular flights, but again in a relatively safe area, and then you'll have 100% confidence after that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl