Dropped Like A Rock

Reaction score
Me and my friend were are a RC field at our local state park last Sunday. My friends P2 dropped out of the air. Luckily he wasn't too high. 20 - 30 feet. It landed on the tall grass below. It did ruin the landing gear, they will have to be replaced. no other damage. We were able to start it back up. Although we didn't fly it after that.

As I was watching him fly his P2, I did notice he was making some quick stops and such. Really putting it to the test, Anyways, The motor stopped, I believe the lights also went out and it dropped to the ground. When it hit the ground I, at first, thought it instantly broke in two, but actually as soon as it hit the battery popped out. We ran over He picked up his P2 and I picked up the battery, it was still on, weird. I turned it off.

Anyways, has anyone heard or has it happen to you, that the battery became loose enough in flight for it to lose power and crash?

Any other reason for this to happen? He thought he may have shut it off in mid air, as in both sticks down and in. I don't think that is possible.... is it?

My friends P2 dropped out of the air.
... it dropped to the ground. When it hit the ground I, at first, thought it instantly broke in two, but actually as soon as it hit the battery popped out.
Anyways, has anyone heard or has it happen to you, that the battery became loose enough in flight for it to lose power and crash?
It is very common for the battery to fall out in a crash. It happens because the case deforms enough to release the lock mechanism.
It is unlikely that the battery just came loose and fell out if it had been clicked in properly.
The motor stopped, I believe the lights also went out and it dropped to the ground.
Any other reason for this to happen? He thought he may have shut it off in mid air, as in both sticks down and in. I don't think that is possible.... is it?
If the operator initiated CSC (both sticks down and in), the motors stop immediately (because CSC is the emergency stop) and gravity takes over immediately.
This is all explained in the manual.
If it was a P3, you could replay the flight log to see if that was the cause - not possible on the P2.

My P2 battery fell out, but I believe it was my fault. I had the P2 just a few days and wasn't used to the need to really push it in and check it. Of course, I will never know. Fortunately, it was 6 feet off the ground when it happened and nothing bad happened.

Dropping out of the air is never good. Leaves you wondering why and what's the next flight at 200 ft going to do. If he did a CSC then that an emergency stop for sure but if not their is a issue that needs to be addressed as complete shut down mean loss of power and that is never good. It's now time for trial and error to test components to find the culprit before the next regular high flight. If she drops like a rock from 100 ft or more she pretty much going to be trash. Better do some investigating.

We ran over He picked up his P2 and I picked up the battery, it was still on, weird. I turned it off.

You say the battery was still on... how many green lights did you see? Was the battery low? I'm sure it would have did a RTH if the battery was that low, but I've heard of RTH not happening sometimes with a low battery.

You say the battery was still on... how many green lights did you see? Was the battery low? I'm sure it would have did a RTH if the battery was that low, but I've heard of RTH not happening sometimes with a low battery.
It had full bars. He had just put a fresh battery in.

It had full bars. He had just put a fresh battery in.

Yikes... This is my worst nightmare... lol... but I guess I'll never get over it if I don't take it out far. I might do it this weekend. I hope you guys figure out what happened...

He had mentioned he thought he may have turned it off. So I think maybe he did inadvertently do the CSC (both sticks down and in).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart