Dronexpert gimbal for Phantom Vision

Got tired of reading the ongoing saga with the Rotorpixel and the $250 3D gimbal, bit the bullet and ordered the Dronexpert. The newest videos look good. The jello effect that some people have had seems like an easy fix. There are several simple ways to stiffen the legs of the Phantom.
Dronexpert emailed me the expected shipping time is 5 to 6 weeks. That'll be about when the folks that ordered the 3D will be getting theirs and they ordered back in Jan. For the extra money, I rather have the plug and play aspect and get to use it when the weather breaks.

my dronexpert gimbal arrived yesterday i tested it today no probs apart form a little mod i had to do to keep the camera level.
On the back of the camera where the jack plug gos into the camera i added a small pice of double sided tape to keep the camera level,because there must be a gyroscope inside the jackplug housing when the gimble keeps moving it moves the jack plug and was causing the camera to tip to the right but its a easy fixed with a small piece of tape NOT IDEAL :? but it works !! :D

chippy jfl said:
my dronexpert gimbal arrived yesterday i tested it today no probs apart form a little mod i had to do to keep the camera level.
On the back of the camera where the jack plug gos into the camera i added a small pice of double sided tape to keep the camera level,because there must be a gyroscope inside the jackplug housing when the gimble keeps moving it moves the jack plug and was causing the camera to tip to the right but its a easy fixed with a small piece of tape NOT IDEAL :? but it works !! :D

Same here, but I put a couple drops of hot melt glue to secure. Was going to use the tape, but had the hot melt handy and works great.

dastagg said:
chippy jfl said:

Same here, but I put a couple drops of hot melt glue to secure. Was going to use the tape, but had the hot melt handy and works great.

The hot melt glue also worked for me. Tip: 1- Power up your Phantom and let gimbal starts. 2- Look by the front of camera and move the white back plug slightly until you see it's horizontal leveled. 3- Once you get the desired level, turn off your phantom and with a pencil, trace horizontal and vertical lines (keeping in same place the square plug after leveled). 4-Dismount the gimbal from legs and carefully ad small drops of hot glue to the edges as shown in picture below. That's easy!! Good Luck

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 725
chippy jfl said:

I do the same thing. :D

I finally have been able to do some testing and flying with my new P2V and Dronexpert gimbal. Here is a short video from this evening just few minutes before the sunset. Quite smooth camera movement with not too much jello?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXHDNxtIEyE

I'm quite happy with the results of the gimbal, but the structure and the quality of the gimbal plastic parts could be more robust. P2V itself is quite sturdy machine, but I'm afraid that the gimbal will not take too much violence, so I already made some reinforcements to the structure.

Next week I will be traveling with my P2V to Tanzania, Africa, so hopefully I'm able to post some more interesting videos flying above the Savanna there. ;)

Wow lucky you, keep us posted.
I've had a couple of flights now with from what I can see no jello and no jumping camera either, and that was in gusty winds with some fast moves thrown in lol, lots of props in shot and shadows but no jello from what I can see, I've made a custom hood and have yet to try it so hopefully that should get rid of the prop shadows.
I've been wanting to post a 14 min video for a few weeks but don't have a clue about video editing so its raw and untouched and quite a few boring bits (grass, me, our lass), after watching all the amazing videos on here and peoples flying skills didn't really want it as my first video ever lol :?: :oops:

danydan said:
gimbal 3 axes pour phantom vision
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZTdEm ... -h202-p-no
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/109515632886156004960/albums/5990358662039105025
[youtube][/youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddr61hr2jGo

Very slick- so I am guessing from looking that you have also made a modification to the antenna? Or is that an fpv tx antenna sticking down in the back with the vtx inside? I only saw one antenna on the front.

DONT BUY DRONEXPERT GIMBAL,,, POOR DESING,, THE ROLL AXIS REACH LIMITS AND START TO "JUMP" MOTORS,,,

bad sensor on the back of the camera, need to put glue?! oh m good,, rotopixel better,,, :lol:

pabling said:
DONT BUY DRONEXPERT GIMBAL,,, POOR DESING,, THE ROLL AXIS REACH LIMITS AND START TO "JUMP" MOTORS,,,

bad sensor on the back of the camera, need to put glue?! oh m good,, rotopixel better,,, :lol:

What a Prick :roll: need I say more foe

Sorry to the rest of you folks for my comments being my 1st post n all, but he's just made my piss boil, I'm looking at gimbals at the moment and the boat is still out to which will be best but bad comments don't help anyone

The gluing of the sensor doesn't make it bad. It allows you to level it out then can use glue, double sided tape or nothing. By doing nothing, it can move and cause camera to not sit perfectly level. That doesn't make a bad sensor in my opinion. Maybe not the greatest design, but works just fine once I leveled it and fastened it in place. Still,my gimbal makes good video, just seems more fragile than other options.
Would I prefer the Rotopixal? Not so sure yet as the verdict is still not met yet to performance of Rotopixal till it is more tested and proved. Seems to be a simpler design but need more data yet to compare. Can say, the Dronexpert works well in my opinios, but other may or may not be better. I'm still open to improvements on mine or other brand. I am not saying to stick with Dronexpert, just need to see more proof of other system. If much better, I may switch sometime when they are more readily available.

dastagg said:
The gluing of the sensor doesn't make it bad. It allows you to level it out then can use glue, double sided tape or nothing. By doing nothing, it can move and cause camera to not sit perfectly level. That doesn't make a bad sensor in my opinion. Maybe not the greatest design, but works just fine once I leveled it and fastened it in place. Still,my gimbal makes good video, just seems more fragile than other options.
Would I prefer the Rotopixal? Not so sure yet as the verdict is still not met yet to performance of Rotopixal till it is more tested and proved. Seems to be a simpler design but need more data yet to compare. Can say, the Dronexpert works well in my opinios, but other may or may not be better. I'm still open to improvements on mine or other brand. I am not saying to stick with Dronexpert, just need to see more proof of other system. If much better, I may switch sometime when they are more readily available.

EXACTLY!!! Well said! The thing is, DE can be ordered and gotten to you BEFORE the next millennium! Sure, improvements can be made, but they were the first and many of us got them. My videos are SO MUCH BETTER since I began using the DE Gimbal. And strange, but mine stays level as long as I make sure the "plug" is perfectly centered before I fly it. I honestly have had no issues with that.
Heck to do it over, I'd probably try to Chinese 3D gimbal and put a power supply on it and call it done! But I think this is getting to the point of deciding which car company is the best. Each person (generally whomever has bought which car) has their own take on which is best.
This tread should be used to help those making the decision and those of us who have one, to help each other get the most out of it.
BTW- I'm selling mine if anyone is interested! (just bought a Flywheel F450)

Ive been flying with the DE gimbal and am very happy.. I crashed (schoolboy error) and the gimbal snapped.. I mailed DE and they said to post it back. They repaired it at no charge and returned it to me. GREAT SERVICE!!!!.. been flying again and works great. My gimbal has been delivered returned and re-delivered, while those waiting for the Rotoplex still haven't got theirs yet!!
There is a limit to the movement, but only affected with extreme manoeuvring.
I haven't had a problem with the levelling as yet. I also have the 7th channel and lever installed.. Great assistance. ( especially since Id like to try some FPV goggles in the near future )
I did notice the glue on the dampers was not great and the y slipped.. Simply added sone contact adhesive, and voila!!

Decreased range with Dronexpert gimbal?

The weather finally cleared up so I got a good chance to really exercise the newly installed gimbal - won't even bother posting any of the videos since they're mainly flight exercises - nothing close to pretty. It is sooooo nice to be able to maneuver the Phantom and not have it show up on the video - rapid stops and starts don't seem to phase the gimbal in the least and to be able to 'slide' the camera sideways and still keep the horizon level? Wonderful! I can't imagine why DJI left a 2D gimbal off the Vision - except for cost control. It really does make the system much more usable as an aerial camera platform.

One unpleasant side-effect, though seems to be a pretty dramatic decrease in flight control range. Yesterday I had two Return to Home events trigger at 500 feet away - roughly half the range I used to have before I installed the DE gimbal. I also had an RTH trigger when I flew straight up to 140 feet - hardly "way up there"! Short of moving the compass a half inch upwards I've done very little to change the original P2V configuration. I haven't installed the 7th channel (probably won't) so this is pretty much the stock P2V that I used to be able to fly out to 800+ feet pretty easily...

It's funny, I was worried about losing range on the 2.4 GHz WiFi link because of the proximity of the vertical axis motor to the camera's left patch antenna but I'm getting perfectly clear telemetry and video with the overlay warning "control signal lost" :eek:

Has anyone else seen this limited range behavior with the Dronexpert gimbal?

I haven't been a real long distance, but have been up to 600 foot in elevation with no problem and have flown around 750 away from me with no issue that I have seen as of yet. One time, I lost camera view around 600 foot away from me, but it came right back after a few seconds and went a little further away with no issue. Haven't ever really tried to see how far away I could go, as that distance and height has been enough for what I was doing at the time. Photo shows no real distance, but has more altitude than you had a problem with. This was after gimbal was installed and was only a screen shot from iPad.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 617
I ordered the gimbal on March 21st. I just noticed the email I received and it says that it will ship in 5 weeks. I wish I would have known that. Have you all waited that long to get the gimbal? How long does it take to get to the states from NL?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka