Dronexpert gimbal for Phantom Vision

DiegoF said:

Ummm... Is it me, or... I'm just not all that impressed with the video. Especially with the cash outlay. It's not BAD... But there's still a certain amount of jello that's probably caused by the way the camera's mounted... Maybe I just expected too much. :(

-slinger

Studiowise said:
CunningStuntFlyer said:
If that is typical capture quality in bright light then I see lots of filter holders being sold.

i've got mine ready, just need to find a decent way to mount it :)
I just bought some cheap, cheap, cheap plastic ND flilters . .the real glass was too heavy for my DE Gimbal (although, they say the motors are on low, and can be changed to high). I hope to try out my less heavy filters over the weekend . . . until then, its fast shutters or shoot at the golden hours of the day for me.

Hopefully a few more will arrive soon.. Not seen a decent test on what difference it makes to the wifi link... That lump of metal will make a difference, it's important to know how much!

whitelens said:
I just bought some cheap, cheap, cheap plastic ND flilters . .the real glass was too heavy for my DE Gimbal (although, they say the motors are on low, and can be changed to high). I hope to try out my less heavy filters over the weekend . . . until then, its fast shutters or shoot at the golden hours of the day for me.

Hmm, I have a suspicion that all my stuff will be too heavy seeing as I was using step down adapters. Do you have a link to the plastic ones?

oukenfold said:
i havent see this vid....here, and really looks great.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWILS49-FHQ[/youtube]

Found that one earlier today while searching YouTube for more Dronexpert footage... He's really slewing hard towards the end but the image is still flat and stable. The one thing I'm really liking from these videos is no matter how hard you're maneuvering the horizon stays, well, horizontal.

gpauk said:
Has anyone asked dronexpert what the max camera loading is for filters, or if there's a utility to adjust the controller?

Although no actual max loading answer was given, Whitelens posted " . .the real glass was too heavy for my DE Gimbal (although, they say the motors are on low, and can be changed to high)" above. I think I saw he posted elsewhere something about they were going to ship software at some point?

Thanks... I wasn't sure if he'd asked the specific question...
Also having trouble with this site (only this one). Pages either taking ages to load or failing to load, making it tricky to check stuff!!!
Got your gimbal yet? :)

gpauk said:
Has anyone asked dronexpert what the max camera loading is for filters, or if there's a utility to adjust the controller?

Hi, i asked them yesterday about this

Question: is it possilbe to install the dji nd filter support with this gimbal setup?

Dronexpert: With the lens: We had a few customers had some testing done. We were a bit surprised of the weight of the lens, a customer had a les of around 150 gram. This definitely will not work, it will bring the gimbal out of balance.
At the moment were testing with other types of lenses also. It all will depend on the weight of the lens.

150g for a lens filter?! What's it made of, uranium?!

The lens filter kit from DJI weighs just over 12g, and a standard 46mm lens filter (plastic) about half that. My Polaroid-branded circular polariser is heavier and comes in at 12g. More expensive metal-edged filters will be heavier, but not that heavy.

So I asked a couple of questions one with the same answer here is what i wrote :

Will these be able to handle the lens adapter filter that has been released for the vision. Will we have to update firmware or something ?.. Actually that is a good question . will there be way to update the firmware for the gimbal

Here is what I got back

Thank you for your mail.
Updating is no problem.
With the lens a few customers had some testing done. We were a bit surprised of the weight of the lens, a customer had a les of around 150 gram. This defenitely will not work, it will bring the gimbal out of balance.
At the moment were testing with other types of lenses also. It all will depend on the weight of the lens.
Feel free to ask if you have further questions,

Best regards,
Rob Tiebie
http://www.dronexpert.nl

Pull_Up said:
150g for a lens filter?! What's it made of, uranium?!

The lens filter kit from DJI weighs just over 12g, and a standard 46mm lens filter (plastic) about half that. My Polaroid-branded circular polariser is heavier and comes in at 12g. More expensive metal-edged filters will be heavier, but not that heavy.
Yeah, that was my fault. . . gave them bad information.

I have tried the DJI lens adapter with Tiffen lens filters. . . and the gimbal could not hold it up. I just bought Zeikos filters, and they do seem less expensive . . So I hope to try this out this weekend. I still think it will all be to heavy for the current gimbal to hold up without going to "high" power settings on the actual gimbal.
THOUGHTS?

Re: Dronexpert gimbal + filter adapter

whitelens said:
I have tried the DJI lens adapter with Tiffen lens filters. . . and the gimbal could not hold it up. I just bought Zeikos filters, and they do seem less expensive . . So I hope to try this out this weekend. I still think it will all be to heavy for the current gimbal to hold up without going to "high" power settings on the actual gimbal.
THOUGHTS?

I've been thinking about this - I've still got three weeks 'til my DE gimbal arrives so there's plenty of time for navel gazing and back-of-envelope calculations. The problem doesn't seem to be weight as much as balance - right now the DE rig is set up so that the center of gravity of the FC200 is right along the axis of the motor. With that alignment, the motor hardly has to do any work to keep the camera in position, there's no torsional force along the axis of the gimbal motor when the camera is at rest (in any orientation). Add weight to the front of the camera and now there's always a downward force on the motor's axis that needs to be counteracted continuously (again, no matter what the orientation of the camera - other than straight down)

Solution? Add an equal amount of weight to the back of the camera so again it's balanced front-to-back. The motor will need to do more work to change the pitch of the unit because the heavier camera has a higher rotational inertia but when the camera's being held steady (in any orientation) the motor won't have to do any more work than if there were no filter and counter-weight.

Ahh, but there's a minor problem that's easy to overlook. There are actually two axis of freedom (we actually knew that :) ) and two motors to consider. If you look at the DE gimbal head-on, you'll see the camera has been moved a bit to the right of the Phantom's center axis to counteract the weight of the pitch gimbal motor. Adding more weight (filter + counterweight) to the camera moves more weight to the right of the front-rear axis which means the roll gimbal in the back will now have to be constantly fight the forces causing the camera to droop downwards to the right. Solution? Add even more weight to the left side of the rig to counterbalance the heavier FC200.

At some point this gets pretty silly as we keep adding more and more weight to the system :geek: It might not take much added weight to counterbalance the filter on both axes but only testing will tell. Fortunately, as a golfer I have easy access to lead "weight tape" (http://www.amazon.com/Gram-Lead-Tape-Strips-Adjustment/dp/B0026ECYV6) which will make experimentation pretty easy. If it ends up being more complicated than I hoped, the decision is quite simple - I'd much rather have a 2 axis gimbal for stabilization more than I want a polarizer to enhance the camera's image.

Re: Dronexpert gimbal + filter adapter

EyeUpHigh said:
whitelens said:
THOUGHTS?

I've been thinking about this - I've still got three weeks 'til my DE gimbal arrives so there's plenty of time for navel gazing and back-of-envelope calculations. The problem doesn't seem to be weight as much as balance - right now the DE rig is set up so that the center of gravity of the FC200 is right along the axis of the motor. With that alignment, the motor hardly has to do any work to keep the camera in position, there's no torsional force along the axis of the gimbal motor when the camera is at rest (in any orientation). Add weight to the front of the camera and now there's always a downward force on the motor's axis that needs to be counteracted continuously (again, no matter what the orientation of the camera - other than straight down)

Solution? Add an equal amount of weight to the back of the camera so again it's balanced front-to-back. The motor will need to do more work to change the pitch of the unit because the heavier camera has a higher rotational inertia but when the camera's being held steady (in any orientation) the motor won't have to do any more work than if there were no filter and counter-weight.

Ahh, but there's a minor problem that's easy to overlook. There are actually two axis of freedom (we actually knew that :) ) and two motors to consider. If you look at the DE gimbal head-on, you'll see the camera has been moved a bit to the right of the Phantom's center axis to counteract the weight of the pitch gimbal motor. Adding more weight (filter + counterweight) to the camera moves more weight to the right of the front-rear axis which means the roll gimbal in the back will now have to be constantly fight the forces causing the camera to droop downwards to the right. Solution? Add even more weight to the left side of the rig to counterbalance the heavier FC200.

At some point this gets pretty silly as we keep adding more and more weight to the system :geek: It might not take much added weight to counterbalance the filter on both axes but only testing will tell. Fortunately, as a golfer I have easy access to lead "weight tape" (http://www.amazon.com/Gram-Lead-Tape-Strips-Adjustment/dp/B0026ECYV6) which will make experimentation pretty easy. If it ends up being more complicated than I hoped, the decision is quite simple - I'd much rather have a 2 axis gimbal for stabilization more than I want a polarizer to enhance the camera's image.
All very good points .. . I've tried to "Balance" mine out with the filter on the front, but one other issue is when the camera go straight down, any weight on the back is above (or seems to be above) the CG of the camera, now more weight (thus more power) is needed to get the camera back up. I love he weight tape idea. . . I might go buy some and try it out.

For those who live in the US and have bought the DE gimbal, can you tell me what is the total price you paid including shipping?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT