Dronexpert gimbal for Phantom Vision

Studiowise said:
Yojimbo007 said:
Has anyone noticed the ribbon from camera curling lower than the landing skids
Just wondering if these components would be subject to damage in rough landings or rough surfaces?

Any thoughts.....

Other wise looks like a sweet setup :)

Thanks

I see what you're saying. I'm more anxious about the impact on the video transmission seeing as the two antenna are both covered to some degree. Only time will tell
I am not sure i understamd your concern?
Which antennas
How does the installation of the dronexpert setup effect any antennas?

Yojimbo007 said:
Which antennas

The wifi antennas are in the sides of the camera (there is a written warning on the sides of the camera.)

whitelens said:
Looks like mine comes in TODAY!!!! too bad my vision is in the shop getting a new camera put on it!! DANG IT!

Am I the only one amazed that the gimbal traveled from Netherlands to Texas in just three days!?!? At least when they tell you "it's shipped" you won't have long to wait :)

For some reason I'm reminded of Louis CK's observation that "Everything's amazing and nobody's happy"
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEY58fiSK8E[/youtube]
which is totally off topic except for the fact that we all own FLYING CAMERAS!!! That we can fly a camera above a house / tree / lake and look down in real time to see what the camera sees, which is pretty dang amazing. Not only that, but it shoots reasonable quality 1080p video which nobody could do for under $5,000 just a few years ago. For all of the real issues with the product, it's still quite incredible that they can make something like this.

Saw this posted on another forum.. Looks similar to the drone expert
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdDm83eLMLQ[/youtube]

themosttoys said:
Yojimbo007 said:
Which antennas

The wifi antennas are in the sides of the camera (there is a written warning on the sides of the camera.)
Ok.. How does the donexpert installation change or effect antenna efficiency ?

Yojimbo007 said:

The warning labels on the side of Vision's camera that themosttoys is referring to are placed directly over the 2.4Ghz FPV patch antennas which are located immediately behind them. Look at the photo above: you can see the lower edge of each patch antenna at the top and bottom of picture. If you look carefully you can spot their gray antenna cables.

If an aftermarket gimbal places any metal parts such as an axis stepper motor or metal arm to the sides of the camera, it may block the transmission & reception of the 2.4Ghz FPV radio signal, reflect it away from the antennas, or attenuate them.

If you want reliable FPV & telemetry, you want to keep the sides of the camera free & clear of anything that might block these patch antennas.

iDrone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 344
iDrone said:
Yojimbo007 said:

The warning labels on the side of Vision's camera that themosttoys is referring to are placed directly over the 2.4Ghz FPV patch antennas which are located immediately behind them. Look at the photo above: you can see the lower edge of each patch antenna at the top and bottom of picture. If you look carefully you can spot their gray antenna cables.

If an aftermarket gimbal places any metal parts such as an axis stepper motor or metal arm to the sides of the camera, it may block the transmission & reception of the 2.4Ghz FPV radio signal, reflect it away from the antennas, or attenuate them.

If you want reliable FPV & telemetry, you want to keep the sides of the camera free & clear of anything that might block these patch antennas.

iDrone
I c.. Interesting!
would like to see some field data on this .
Real curios about some reviews here....

arinvideo said:
Saw this posted on another forum.. Looks similar to the drone expert
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdDm83eLMLQ[/youtube]

Looks like the camera is positioned further forward and balanced by a battery behind? Could be useful to get less of the props in shot

EyeUpHigh said:
whitelens said:
Looks like mine comes in TODAY!!!! too bad my vision is in the shop getting a new camera put on it!! DANG IT!

Am I the only one amazed that the gimbal traveled from Netherlands to Texas in just three days!?!? At least when they tell you "it's shipped" you won't have long to wait :)

For some reason I'm reminded of Louis CK's observation that "Everything's amazing and nobody's happy"
which is totally off topic except for the fact that we all own FLYING CAMERAS!!! That we can fly a camera above a house / tree / lake and look down in real time to see what the camera sees, which is pretty dang amazing. Not only that, but it shoots reasonable quality 1080p video which nobody could do for under $5,000 just a few years ago. For all of the real issues with the product, it's still quite incredible that they can make something like this.

Ha ha everything he is saying is SO TRUTH :D

No you are not the only one who is till amazed what we can do with our Phantoms, it is Fantastic!
I don't know how old all you guys are, but I think if you are over 50 you don't take all the new things for granted and gets amazed by new technology.

Yojimbo007 said:
I c.. Interesting! would like to see some field data on this . Real curios about some reviews here....
Jimbo, you can study as much as your interest desires: there are plenty of textbooks & white papers on the subject of UHF and microwave RF propagation, circuit design, antenna design, etc. To illustrate simply, think of it like this... At these frequencies the signal takes on much of the characteristics of visible light... you can block it, you can filter it, you can reflect it, but its wave propagation is strictly LOS "line-of-sight". It doesn't bend around corners and the quality of the reflection is dependent on the composition & quality of the reflector.

iDrone

EyeUpHigh said:
whitelens said:

wow an american comedian thats actually funny lol :D

EyeUpHigh said:
whitelens said:

Haha so true!! Truly amazing tech. Louis CK is very funny....

Got mine in, yep looks great. . . my issue is that my camera has been inop for about two weeks, and has been trying to be trouble shot over at UAVDirect (just down the street from me. . . great guys BTW). So I picked it up yesterday, and my camera was not giving any telemetry readouts on the phone and it would not tilt. But I brought it home anyway, cause I cant wait to try this thing out.
I did bring the Dronexpert gimbal by their office and had one of the techs (Eric) take a look at it. They seemed to be very impressed with the build, weight and size, which is awesome cause they work on these things 8 hours a day 5/6 days a week.

I did manage to get it hooked up to the camera (it takes some time), however, my 7th channel is still not working (tilt), I dont blame Dronexpert since mine was not working before hand.
I plan on taking it up this morning and seeing how she does in the air, although my review might be a bit skewed because the fact that my camera/copter is bad to begin with . . . and no, it wasnt a rough landing!

I have offered the guys over at UAV Direct to use it this weekend on one of their rigs to put it through its paces, and give a "professional" assessment of the gimbal.

So far, I'm pretty pumped and excited. :cool:

whitelens said:
I have offered the guys over at UAV Direct to use it this weekend on one of their rigs to put it through its paces, and give a "professional" assessment of the gimbal.

So far, I'm pretty pumped and excited. :cool:

sorry you're not yet seeing the full benefit but i'd love to hear what UAV Direct think :)

OK. . so (and I'll post a video real quick" . . that was CLOSE!! Had my first fly away . . wfi extender ran out of juice while the copter was high far!!! Spent the last hour looking for it!! AND FOUND IT. .Safe and sound. Was rolling the whole time .. so pretty dang funny. It just stayed 300' up and stayed there as my car kept driving by looking for it!

Anyway, WOW!! This gimbal is amazing. . did some "fast runs" and it looks so impressive! This is what we have been waiting for all this time! This is AMAZING!! If you have not ordered one, go get it!!! It rocks!!! Oh man, I wish my unit was 100% healthy, i'd be flying it all day!!! WOW! WOW! WOW!!! The PV2 just got a professional makeover!

Ok so if you can get that video online and on here not only will you be the first to post but you also captured a fricken flyaway in full stabilised awesomeness as well.

Put it up Put it up :shock: :shock: :shock:

Pull_Up said:
Not sure range extender running out of power counts as a flyaway, mind you!

More of a "lost my Vision as I didn't know where it was" incident, really. ;) That aside, looking forward to the first "real world" video test with a fully gimballed up Vision camera...

Yes fair point I must calm down :oops: :oops: :oops: Is today the day we get to see a user flying the thing we have all been waiting for for so long :?:

I hope so. :D

Pull_Up said:
Not sure range extender running out of power counts as a flyaway, mind you!

More of a "lost my Vision as I didn't know where it was" incident, really. ;)
very good point... more like. . "hey idiot, was your range extender green before you took flight!!" It is uploading as we speak!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT