Drone Photographers Organizing?

Reaction score
Has there been any talk of Drone photographers organizing to form a group? I think there are going to be lots of legal challenges coming soon and it would be a wise decision, esp for North American owners. There seems to be more bad press out there than positive.

I think professional users must separate themselves from negligent operators.

Any thoughts?

There are political challenges - it's already here.

In our tri-weekly email to our list, I mentioned that we would be getting a drone for our business. Within two days, one of our dear customer/friends started the process of severing all communication with us - 1) mail us the keys to our place. 2) Take us of your mailing list..... We haven't heard from them since - and couldn't figure out what happened. Today I finally noticed how the shunning happened two days after our email list went out.

I brought up the topic of drones with our best friends - the husband is very conservative. The conversation began with me asking him if the word "drone" bothered him. "No, it doesn't bother me." But as we started talking, he said if a drone comes near my house I will call the police. He became more agitated and said the NRA was against drones. He suggested I get into RC planes. I said "They're the same. They both fly around." He replied, "No they're not - drones can go backwards."

Check out how Drones are being politicized already. http://tinyurl.com/lcr6ezx

Huffington Post asks readers to picture Sarah Palin at her computer, driving her drone throughout the Alaskan wilderness - using her drone to kill a herd of moose. The NRA is speaking out. It may be too late to educate the public and change their perception. Emotions are ruling their imaginations - animal rights people flying drones during hunting season.

Yea I would be for putting together some sort of organization for professional aerial photographers / filmmakers. It's just frustrating coming on this website literally every day now and seeing another negative news story, if not 2 or 3 per day. I'm beginning to think what the FAA should do is make some sort of training/certification program. You'd have to basically show to them that you can safely fly your aircraft, probably pay a yearly fee, and then you'd be certified. What do you guys think of that?

Some people shouldn't fly rc at all. Some drivers shouldn't drive at all either.

Too many people using their freedoms to deny freedoms to others. We like to toss that around too much.

FAA has no business whatsoever with our hobby.

It seems to me the issues the OP referenced are really general drone/UAV issues, not specifically photographer issues. I thought you were going toward copyright release issues or privacy issues related to using the camera. These would be photographer issues in my mind.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing