Drone Headset: VR or FPV?

Reaction score
They come in all sizes and features. Fatshark makes one. So does Spectrum. For those not familiar with the FPV product, goggles are considered an upgrade due to a more immersive view that is unaffected by sunlight. Even those who have shortsightedness can use the goggles provided that they can see an object clearly enough from 2-3 meters away.

Personally, I have never had an experience with goggles for a simple reason, I am too consumed at looking at the drone in the air to make sure I am not hitting anything. I am sure there are those who would claim that flying with the goggles would be safe enough. However, I have never been completely sold on this fact.

Goggles are divided into two categories: FPV (for racing) and VR for Consumer Drones. Here is what is said about both:

goggles..jpg

They all output the video onto stereo type so you can wear it close to your eyes . Those FPV goggles on racing drone usually receives analog video signal at 5.8ghz(paired with the video transmitter) also some have hdmi input. The VR goggles comes in various type, some connects to PC, some do not rely on any extra connection itself has cpu etc, some also have hdmi in but do not output stereo, and they are normally used for games.
What we talk most is the cellphone goggle, it has just 2 lens and a plastic box holding your phone. this type requires your phone video to output to stereo type(left and right), and you wear it like you are actually driving the drone. What's more, you can track your head movement by the IMU in the phone, to control the view. A lot of apps can do this using DJI sdk, I wrote one too, you can see my posts.VR Flight For DJI, I would like to introduce my android VR app
I know some people use fpv goggle with hdmi input because DJI's RC can install a hdmi module but this costs $ and those type of goggle also cost more $ and it do not track your head movement. Those cheap cellphone goggle cost less than 40 yuan(u.s$7) in China

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan