Drone for profit?

Reaction score
Aloha guys. I have been racking my brain trying to discover ways to utilize drones for a business. However the fear people have with drones makes limited options. I would like to start a thread of successful uses their drone for a business. Once amazon gets over the hump of shipping using drones their gonna be everywhere. The little guys need a price of the pie too.

I am a realtor and I don't make money directly from my drone but use it as part of my sales presentation when trying to get a listing. I show them an aerial shot of their house that will be online and in the marketing materials.

I am a realtor and I don't make money directly from my drone but use it as part of my sales presentation when trying to get a listing. I show them an aerial shot of their house that will be online and in the marketing materials.

I've been looking into this as well, and from my understanding of the regulations, this use would require a FAA 333 exemption.

To iamscoobydoo that is something I am looking at however I am not a realtor. My question would be are their Realtors looking for this kind of marketing? I would think that the realtor would rather just pay someone to make a high quality video or photos to use, and if so. Where would I market the option?

Yes it would. And an FAA airman certificate to operate. I am setting myself up for business this spring. Real Estate and Farm/Vineyard precision agriculture. And what ever else I can think of.

Realtor's are asking me upfront if I have my 333. Yes they are looking for this product. Particularly high end real estate. Many realtors were doing it themselves and have been informed to cease and desist by their national organizations legal staff. I offer a package which includes interior shots as well.

Reactions: snerd
UK user here.

After I get CAA certification to fly commercially I have lined up doing some work for 1 potentially 2 estate agents already as a side business. I have recently been gifted 2 batteries for the use of some of my photos on a local website.

I aim to set up so I can take orders for local aerial work like fun runs, static event photography etc.

Keep in mind that it's not if you make money, it's commercial use. Which you are doing.

If iamscoobydoois is using aerial shots for his business, he is required to have an FAA Section 333 Exemption and a certificated pilot operator. All of which he may have. If you are going to use a UAV for commercial purposes, it takes some work. No one is going to hire you and share your liability without proper documentation and following the law. I have been doing a lot of research in this matter and plan to be very busy come spring. I already have client's lined up. Just waiting for the weather. Aerial shots of real estate in the winter look, well "cold."

Keep in mind that it's not if you make money, it's commercial use. Which you are doing.

CORRECT! Making $$$ has nothing to do with it, although that is my goal. If fact I am not making $$ until all the equipment and cost have been covered. Trading your aerial shots for a battery is COMMERCIAL USE. If iamscoobydoois does not have a 333, he and the person he sold it have broken the law as it stands today. Just Saying.

Trading your aerial shots for a battery is COMMERCIAL USE.

Well the term "commercial use" is fairly vague. I'm not a company, nor am I self employed. I also haven't done work for anyone either, someone has just gifted me batteries to help me continue doing what I do. It may be slightly different in the US, I don't know.

Well the term "commercial use" is fairly vague. I'm not a company, nor am I self employed. I also haven't done work for anyone either, someone has just gifted me batteries to help me continue doing what I do. It may be slightly different in the US, I don't know.

It is still considered as work in the UK.

(Also, your intention for a particular flight is for gain.. regardless of if it is for money or "gifted batteries".

Just go get your pfaw & insurance.. problem solved

If you are not in the US, then the FAA guidelines don't apply.

The FAA's view on commercial use is not vague at all.

Starts on page 9:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

Last edited:
I am only speaking to the US. I have no idea what the laws are elsewhere. Britain seems to be doing the same thing. I am in the northeastern part of the US. I think using the same example. It would be about the pics being used for commercial purposes. You said they were used for a website. I guess depending on the websites purpose would come into play. It can get sticky. I prefer to do it right and not have to worry.

I do Real Estate work (a lot actually), construction site documenting, some agriculture shots for farmers, and I work for our local newspapers, Chamber of Commerce, Tourism Development Board, and I've done a few "events" where I was able to fly off at an angle and get good images without flying directly over people. I'm also working on some "Mapping" options but still behind the learning curve with those.

When(if) the new regulations come out later this year I suspect you'll see a lot more people trying to get into this business if they remove the PPL requirement. Without the PPL requirement your cost of starting up goes down by about $10K right off the bar.

Right now almost all of my clients require the following:
  • Proof of Insurance ($500k min)
  • Section 333 Exemption
  • PPL
I'm also on our local IMT and do a lot of training (not needed yet) work in Search & Rescue.

I am only speaking to the US. I have no idea what the laws are elsewhere. Britain seems to be doing the same thing. I am in the northeastern part of the US. I think using the same example. It would be about the pics being used for commercial purposes. You said they were used for a website. I guess depending on the websites purpose would come into play. It can get sticky. I prefer to do it right and not have to worry.

Not having to worry is the best way to go.

It's pretty simple. If you're flying a UAS and you're not flying it as a hobbyist (just flying for yourself having fun) then you're no longer covered under the "Hobbyist Clause" (my phrase not legal LOL) which means you'd fall under commercial. The way things are written right now (as of 1/7/2016) you are either flying as a hobbyist or not. If not then the default is commercial.

For those who say, "Oh the flight is free I'm charging for the: Editing, Thumb Drive...." the FAA closed those loop holes already. If you get compensation or the recipient can potentially get compensation it's commercial.

It is still considered as work in the UK.

(Also, your intention for a particular flight is for gain.. regardless of if it is for money or "gifted batteries".

Just go get your pfaw & insurance.. problem solved
My intention was to take nice photos and definitely not for gain but I see what you are saying.

Permit and insurance will be in place by may/June.

I do Real Estate work (a lot actually), construction site documenting, some agriculture shots for farmers, and I work for our local newspapers, Chamber of Commerce, Tourism Development Board, and I've done a few "events" where I was able to fly off at an angle and get good images without flying directly over people. I'm also working on some "Mapping" options but still behind the learning curve with those.

When(if) the new regulations come out later this year I suspect you'll see a lot more people trying to get into this business if they remove the PPL requirement. Without the PPL requirement your cost of starting up goes down by about $10K right off the bar.

Right now almost all of my clients require the following:
  • Proof of Insurance ($500k min)
  • Section 333 Exemption
  • PPL
I'm also on our local IMT and do a lot of training (not needed yet) work in Search & Rescue.

I am taking thermography courses so I can utilize FLIR for precision agriculture. I plan to be certified. I have several vineyards very interested in the technology and I plan to provide it. I am surrounded by (within 50 miles) numerous vineyards and farms as well as very high end real estate. I have everything in place except I am waiting for my 333 request to be granted. Looks like next month at the rate they are going. Between now and early spring I will be learning all I can. And practicing as much as possible.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl