drone footage of the 2024 eclipse

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
I used my P4P to obtain some drone footage of the 2024 eclipse. I aimed the camera not at the Sun but rather in the direction of the approaching shadow. I left the drone hovering above while using a Nikon Z6ii with a 560 mm lens to get some photos of the corona and prominences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty Cool!!
I will share this thread with many most don't have a drone.

For others the video part is long.
Its real it is our planet we live on. 👍👍

@cinclodes
The narrative before the video 👍
Nice !!. 👌

Rod ..

I used my P4P to obtain some drone footage of the 2024 eclipse. I aimed the camera not at the Sun but rather in the direction of the approaching shadow. I left the drone hovering above while using a Nikon Z6ii with a 560 mm lens to get some photos of the corona and prominences.
Thanks for sharing your work! I would have guessed that the shadow line of the zone of totality would have been sharper. But, I saw a similar video from a higher altitude on the evening news the day of the eclipse, and the edge of totality was also quite indistinct. You captured a wide variety of corona images, which was great. It was also nice to be able to see the solar flares.

I took pictures of the 2017 eclipse in Idaho. I did not experiment with the exposures as much as you did - left it on automatic, actually. I used a Nikon 900m which had a longer zoom lens, but probably of lesser quality than yours. There were no significant solar flares during that event. I attach two of my photos of the corona. I notice that my corona images are more irregular than yours. They also show an inner and outer corona. I don't know if that is the result of artifacts of only a fair-quality of lens. The original image did not show much color. But I drove up the chroma in Photoshop, and that is how the color image came to be. It closely matches my recollection of the actual view, which showed some hues of blue and violet.

Attachments

• Eclipse Corona0201X.JPG
    Eclipse Corona0201X.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DSCN0201-Enhanced ColorX.JPG
    DSCN0201-Enhanced ColorX.JPG
    224.3 KB · Views: 19
RodPad and Heron: Thanks for the comments. Glad you liked it. It is difficult to run a drone and a camera during an eclipse and also trying to enjoy the spectacle. It was my third total eclipse (Mexico 1991, Wyoming 2017). I also used a drone for the 2017 eclipse, but this time was my first attempt at photography. I was recovering from a neck injury, and the Sun was high in the sky. So I decided to focus with the display rather than by looking through the viewfinder.

@cinclodes
Anybody that takes the time, capture a time event, then take the time to share it. 👍👍👍

I'm a goofy guy, that thinks a lot, never gets anything done. :rolleyes:.
For fun,
Ask somebody "how many times then have been around the sun?"
There answers are amazing!!

Reality, its not there intelligent, age. etc.
Different people, different thoughts. 👍👍👌

Rod ..

Nice!

Reactions: RodPad

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18