Drone fishing/drop rig setup

Reaction score
Hey all,

Getting comfortable enough with my p3 and now ready to drop baits out to sea. I have tried a setup with elastics but failed as was too unreliable. Hoping someone out there could share some knowledge on a fishing setup?

I have seen a maze design dropper which was pretty cool but can't find a supplier. I saw a guy down in Cape Town who had a dedicated bait dropper, was a bright orange drone but heck it was pricy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was a few I saw using a metal hanger and rigging it up on the legs, the hanger would act simply as a holder a drop weight, teardrop shape.

Then after you get out to your spot, do a full backward run on the drone while kinda pullin the rod (Scary) and it comes off.

I'd be scared shitless to be honest, I plan on doing this, but what if I'm spooling out my line and it gets caught, either a bad spool job or a knot.

Reactions: John searle
Try useing a clothes peg tied to one leg of drone. Then wrap a rubber band around the bottom part of the peg to allow for adjustment of preasure to the opening part of peg. Then you pass the fishing line though the part below the rubber band . This should run frealy .place a lead weight on the line along with your bait. After testing it on an open area up to say 200 mtrs. Then flick the fishing rod sharply down and this should then release the line.

Trial and error with the rubber band around the peg will be required until you are happy with the release.
Very cheap and your wife/mum want even mis the clothes peg.

Try useing a clothes peg tied to one leg of drone. Then wrap a rubber band around the bottom part of the peg to allow for adjustment of preasure to the opening part of peg. Then you pass the fishing line though the part below the rubber band . This should run frealy .place a lead weight on the line along with your bait. After testing it on an open area up to say 200 mtrs. Then flick the fishing rod sharply down and this should then release the line.

Trial and error with the rubber band around the peg will be required until you are happy with the release.
Very cheap and your wife/mum want even mis the clothes peg.

Thanks for the tip John! Just one question when I flick the rod do I have to have tension on the line with the drag set right or just slack line?

Thanks

Here is a 11 page thread on some ways members came up with things to do this .Might look through them
and see what they learned Drone Fishing .
Good luck .

I like the one where the guy uses the pin and antenna tube

the only thing I fear is the line hitting the props, if it even hits it once, its gone, iguess the trick is altitude, make sure you go high

This one should be even easier. Glue a hook to the camera gimbal, then tip the camera down to release. Only worry here is burning out the gimbal motor. I'd add a simple 900 mghz telemetry module and an extra toggle to my remote to trigger a servo. I'll give this a thought and see what I come up with. I'm looking to use my drone to spot feeding fish away from the boat, but I really need longer flight time.

I bought a drop kit - not to go fishing with but should work. I wouldn't ever put anything on the camera - that seems like a bad idea. If you ever take it fishing make sure to post video. i saw the one video that everyone talks about but would like to know if that is as easy as they make it seem.

anyway - here's what i got. only tried it twice, the first time it worked but at 1000 ft it didn't so not sure if i recommend it.

Gimbal-Guard

I bought a drop kit - not to go fishing with but should work. I wouldn't ever put anything on the camera - that seems like a bad idea. If you ever take it fishing make sure to post video. i saw the one video that everyone talks about but would like to know if that is as easy as they make it seem.

anyway - here's what i got. only tried it twice, the first time it worked but at 1000 ft it didn't so not sure if i recommend it.

Gimbal-Guard

If it runs on 3.7V then you have a problem where it might not work after few release/lock as servo operates on 4.8V, That's the reason I made mine 5V Operated

Drop kit works well, I decided to just get one rather than risking some pull to drop rig or something like that. You just swipe the control on the app and - ater bait and sinker!. Just finished off 4 successful wet drops into the mighty Atlantic!!! will post vid shortly, pretty happy about it so far.

Learned a great deal from the experience, will be keen to share some of it might come of use to other's thinking about going out bait dropping over surf.

Going to head to a non surf beach next to see the difference.

*** Watch the line on the fishing pole ****
My daughters boyfriend and I made a drop line for my drone. I tested it out before hand to make sure it would work.

We took it out to the ocean and everything was going great. The drone had the line and was cruising out over the water. Then I heard those last words "My line !!"
Turns out that I did not take into account that the fishing pole has a limited amount of fishing line. We were both watching the drone and when we reached the end of the fishing line, he held onto the fishing pole
and the drone went straight into the water. Never to be seen again.

Attachments

• 13263852_10206712493467788_8873958883250912272_n.jpg
    13263852_10206712493467788_8873958883250912272_n.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 843
*** Watch the line on the fishing pole ****
My daughters boyfriend and I made a drop line for my drone. I tested it out before hand to make sure it would work.

We took it out to the ocean and everything was going great. The drone had the line and was cruising out over the water. Then I heard those last words "My line !!"
Turns out that I did not take into account that the fishing pole has a limited amount of fishing line. We were both watching the drone and when we reached the end of the fishing line, he held onto the fishing pole
and the drone went straight into the water. Never to be seen again.
[emoji46]

And Nice house.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka