Reaction score
Hi all. I am brand new to drones. I am about to purchase a Dji Phantom 4 with a number of accessories which include flotation and the ability to drop items at long range. My requirements center on fishing. The main purpose for the drone will be at assist with the spotting of fish near the surface. I am based in Cape Town South Africa and we fish for Tuna off Cape Point (up to 100 miles). Sea conditions can be from quite calm and "glassy" to really bad. I clearly will only use the drone during acceptable wind speeds. I am curious about the return to home feature as being on a boat "home" is unlikely to be the place to return to unless it is a GPS location which is updated frequently - any thoughts and or suggestions please?

Last but not least I wish to order in one package for delivery to Cape Town. Can anyone recommend a suitable competitive supplier who can offer this facility and I can communicate with to ensure the complete set of my requirements are gathered together and shipped as one package. (to reduce the shipping costs which are high to South Africa)

Many thanks - I hope to contribute later with some of my exploits and learnings.

Reactions: BigAl07
I am curious about the return to home feature as being on a boat "home" is unlikely to be the place to return to unless it is a GPS location which is updated frequently - any thoughts and or suggestions please?
You are able to reset your home point during flight to either the current location of the Phantom or the current location of the controller (as long as the phone/tablet you use has GPS).
Offshore is an unforgiving environment so make sure you are familiar with all features and operation of the Phantom before taking it to sea.

Reactions: Yiannis.B
You mean something like that? ;)

You are lucky, P4 price drop today of $200USD. Drone and official accessories can ship no charge from dji, also check B&HPHOTO in NY to see about shipping to SA.
The other non-authorized options you mention (floats, drop kits) would have to be bought from third party. If you find someone to sell modified P4 then it would be buyer beware, and warranty would be void.

You are able to reset your home point during flight to either the current location of the Phantom or the current location of the controller (as long as the phone/tablet you use has GPS).
Offshore is an unforgiving environment so make sure you are familiar with all features and operation of the Phantom before taking it to sea.
Thanks - advice noted and I certainly will be practicing many times on land prior to my "maiden" "virgin" flight at sea!

You are lucky, P4 price drop today of $200USD. Drone and official accessories can ship no charge from dji, also check B&HPHOTO in NY to see about shipping to SA.
The other non-authorized options you mention (floats, drop kits) would have to be bought from third party. If you find someone to sell modified P4 then it would be buyer beware, and warranty would be void.
Further research has reveled following items;-
1) Drop & Delivery device for DJI Phantom 3 by Gimbal-guard team
2) Floatation At DroneRaftstheyhave developed an accessory for the DJI Phantom 4 and Phantom 3 quadcopter. Anall-terrain suspension for your drone, WaterStrider enables perfect footage and fearless landings—anywhere.
Your suggested site B&HPHOTO refuse to ship outside USA as does DJI official site so still stuck for a supplier.

Compass calibration with much metal could be an issue. Also may want to learn hand catching the drone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl