Drone Eclipse?

I doubt if anyone would try to video the sun/moon during an eclipse. Unless the camera were mounted on top of the drone, it would be almost impossible. The best shots would be of the terrain and the shadows before and after the eclipse.
Jim
WA5TEF

If you want to make a solar filter, search for Bader film on Amazon. They google how to make one. It's very easy and affordable... also take the filter off for totality. But make sure to put it back on as the eclipse is leaving totality, or else you're going to fry your optics and cameras...

OK, I don't get it - 92 million miles less a couple of hundred feet seems like too much messing about to be of any value :)

I'm planning on shooting the eclipse as a member of a citizen-scientist project (eclipse mega-movie) and also launch my Inspire 2 up 400' to video the changing lighting during totality. I won't be shooting directly at the sun with the drone. The sun's inclination will be about 48 degrees in west central Idaho. I'm planning on a spot a few miles north of Weiser, ID for the event. The ground photography will be mostly automated, using scripting software to run the camera automatically. Meanwhile, the Beast will be in the air shooting totality. The plan is to not be distracted by trying to image manually during the event. Wish me luck!

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
My dad is a welder and we have poly carbonate plastic 4" X 4" tinted (shade 10-12) cover plates can I stick a fresh one of those in front of my handheld camera or cut one with a holesaw to make a filter? we might have some shade 4-6 1.5" rounds for for torch googles too?

Nothing less than a 14 tint glass is needed to prevent damage to your eyes. Remember, an slr camera viewer is direct viewing, and can also damage eyes.

Reactions: BCBasher
I picked up some eclipse viewing cardboard glasses at the hardware store that have some type of thin film mylar-like lenses. They were $3 bucks, and I bet you could cut those out to protect your camera lens without throwing off the gimbal balance.

One of the earlier posters may have said it best- enjoy the show with your eyeballs, not sure what a drone will really show of the landscape that's much different than a typical sunset. If on the other hand you're on the line of totality and there is a massive crowd, that would be a cool pic.

Just for kicks I got on Expedia and check the local motels for that weekend. Only three motels have ANY rooms left. All the rest are completely sold out. Oh, and the cheapest room available? $800/night!

Anybody want to rent a brand new house? LOL

Been planning on doing a similar flight with my P4 as well. Since we have no pitch axis with drones I'm also left trying to figure out the best way to film this over the ground. Not sure what the best Alt is....max or somewhere in between? Have 3 batteries and plan on filming at least the start (C1) as well as C2 totality and C3. Very fortunate that I'm at a location that will have 2.39 totality for that, assuming the weather holds out. Here is a great video I have found while trying to research this. Looks a bit long but give it 3-4 minutes and think you will be impressed at just how much more there is to observe not only in the sky but around you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mix_
Nothing less than a 14 tint glass is needed to prevent damage to your eyes. Remember, an slr camera viewer is direct viewing, and can also damage eyes.

Thanks, turns out I'm pretty far north and only going to get a partial and the way the weather goes around here it'll probably be cloudy. My camera is a Fuji HS10, not quite a DSLR it's got an alright non removable lens but the screen and viewfinder are LCDs. Can I burn the the image sensor or am I good to use that with my shutter speed and ISO down?

Thanks, turns out I'm pretty far north and only going to get a partial and the way the weather goes around here it'll probably be cloudy. My camera is a Fuji HS10, not quite a DSLR it's got an alright non removable lens but the screen and viewfinder are LCDs. Can I burn the the image sensor or am I good to use that with my shutter speed and ISO down?

Yes, you can damage it. You need a solar filter in general for this.

Reactions: BCBasher
I'll be in the path and my goal is to get the umbra racing towards our center point. Since there is roughly an hour and a half between the start of the eclipse and totality I should have plenty of time to video the umbra coming in and then turn the drone to watch it race away. I've heard that viewing the speeding shadow approaching at roughly 1500 mph (at our location) is quite a memorable sight. My P3S will be there.
If anyone has any ideas of what to watch for or any precautions to take please post them, we will all benefit from them.

I've been informed that I wouldn't be able to film it anyway cause of the angle in the sky. Would it be ok to send it up and just film the affects on the surrounding area?

Flying/filming during the eclipse is no different than at any other time with similar lighting conditions.

Just don't point the camera into the sun. Ever.

Hi Guy's,
Is everyone sure that a ND 4 filter is dark enough as so you don't burn out the Phantom 4 cameras Sensor? I thought about trying to record
some footage myself, but if your not using the correct filter won't it destroy the camera just as it would our own eye balls LOL. That's the part that worries me is the camera sensors getting burned out? How about a ND 64 filter instead of a ND4 filter. Anyone got some thoughts on this matter, I'd love to know.
Thanks Guy's
SteveP55

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z