Drone down in Hawaii

Reaction score
Hi all. Like to share my experience in recovering my p3pro. I don't think anyone has ever experienced what I went through. In a nut shell. ...
First, it was MY mistake. Was flying it backwards, camera facing me. About 270 ft altitude (not enough ). By the time I saw tree tops at camera height, well, you know what happens next. Happened pretty fast. No time to react. Down she goes.
Now the interesting part of story, THE RECOVERY. I have a TRACKIMO, but wasn't attached. I used recorded flight data, gave me exact coordinates. 21.345607,-157.809895 (look it up ) In combination with trackimo, cell phone, iPad, laptop, Google maps, apps, I found it. While hiking to locate drone, I packed the trackimo with me, and the guys at house used my laptop to monitor my movement.
Story gets more interesting, lol. The p3 was 2,600 ft from launch site, in a remote mountain side in Hawaii. Took me 2 days in the jungle, with 2 hurricanes passing by. (Passed by) But rain off and on. First day, I had to give up because of day light running out, 2.5 hr hike out,and I was close (150 ft. According to map) but drone was on the next ridge of over. Almost stepped on pigs bedded down in thick *** ferns.
So...day 2: Went back but much earlier. Following my flagged trail. There was no obvious foot trails, just thick jungle, streams, lots of mud (very slippery ) and steep terrain. Crawling over and under thick vegatation. I climbed trees to get GPS signal sometimes. Stayed in one tree for a while waiting for rain to stop. At that point, I was very close. I honed in for the last time and decended from the knife ridge. There she is, upright, close to ground level. It's been rained on for 3 days. Packed it up, hiked out just in time for last light (again). Gruesome, gruesome adventure. Circuit boards probably need replacing. Not going to power up till inspected by pro. I'll post pics and vids later. Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Aloha

Attachments

• 20160830_064834.jpeg
    20160830_064834.jpeg
    890.5 KB · Views: 612
  • Screenshot_2016-09-03-14-47-33-picsay.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-03-14-47-33-picsay.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 775
  • Screenshot_2016-09-03-06-38-46-picsay.png
    Screenshot_2016-09-03-06-38-46-picsay.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 681
  • 20160830_123130-picsay.jpg
    20160830_123130-picsay.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 593
  • 20160831_183747.jpg
    20160831_183747.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 554
Wow! Pretty good adventure story there! Glad you managed to recover it. Tough hiking around the Ko'olau ridges! Did you shoot any footage around the the Nu'uano Reservoir? Do people still jump off the tower?

Isn't that like saying "Today, I jumped out of an airplane. I have a parachute but wasn't wearing it"? ;)
I'm not sure if you're being a smart ***, but I deserve it. I didn't attach it because I figure if it was going down there, It would be worthless or impossible to recover. Why loose more $$? AND....I have recorded location. It was better for me to have it on me and friends monitor my movement and tell me (text /call) if I need to change course. I had the info on cell, but service and battery life was crucial. It just worked out that way. I was alone. Climbing steep terrain, muddy, slippery, rain, thick vegataion. 2 days.
Pretty sure the battery would run down on trackimo before I'd get to it. At first, when it went down, and seen it was 2,600 ft away in no man's land, I had no intention on looking for it. It was GONE. But I loved the challenge. I win

Wow! Pretty good adventure story there! Glad you managed to recover it. Tough hiking around the Ko'olau ridges! Did you shoot any footage around the the Nu'uano Reservoir? Do people still jump off the tower?
Not sure what you meant by tower. You mean the dam? Idk. I got footage of the falls before drone went down, same day. Trying to find time to edit n post. How big of file can I post here? .

Attachments

• 20160831_185119.jpg
    20160831_185119.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 296
Not sure what you meant by tower. You mean the dam? Idk. I got footage of the falls before drone went down, same day. Trying to find time to edit n post. How big of file can I post here? .

Oh, there's a water tower at the dam that some of the locals jump off. Kinda nuts if you asked me.

I'm not sure if you're being a smart ***, but I deserve it. I didn't attach it because I figure if it was going down there, It would be worthless or impossible to recover. Why loose more $$? AND....I have recorded location. It was better for me to have it on me and friends monitor my movement and tell me (text /call) if I need to change course. I had the info on cell, but service and battery life was crucial. It just worked out that way. I was alone. Climbing steep terrain, muddy, slippery, rain, thick vegataion. 2 days.
Pretty sure the battery would run down on trackimo before I'd get to it. At first, when it went down, and seen it was 2,600 ft away in no man's land, I had no intention on looking for it. It was GONE. But I loved the challenge. I win
I WAS being a smart a$$ but only in a rib-poking way. The same as if I said it to you face to face then grinned at you so you'd know I was just giving you a hard time. No offense intended. Your logic for not using it makes sense and I would most likely have done the same. :)

Enjoyed your story... yeah we have a particular hazard here in Hawaii... jungle brah.

Reactions: Trinimon
Thats why th rules say to keep it in sight visually. 2,600 feet is a bit far unless you have good eyesight .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl