Drone Crashes Right in Front of Cyclist, Causing Nasty Wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep! thats how this hobby is eventually going to get completely banned for hobbyists.
If I may offer another view, looking at the angle the drone was flying down at, that was going into the ground no matter what. Look at the :46 mark. And at :45 you can clearly see that machine is coming out of the trees. My Spidey senses think TWO separate things are happening here. I think the drone was actually out of control by hitting the tree to the left of the cyclist and was spiraling down to a crash. It was just bad timing that the cyclist was right there at that moment. A drone op would not be flying a Phantom at that steep of an angle anticipating pulling up at the last minute in order to get a cool shot. For all we know the operator had absolutely nothing to do with the race and it was just wrong place wrong time. The angle that the drone is going down at prior to the crash is just too much for me to accept that it was a cool shot gone wrong. More like out of control because of a prior collision. Before we jump to the worst case scenario of a reckless drone pilot who almost killed a cyclist wanting a great shot, accidents do happen (not absolving him of flying within the Class D airspace as a previous post claims), but still... trek accidents happen all the time and this seems to be in that vein.

Last edited:
If you look closely at the video when it is in slo-mo you can clearly see the Phantom is caught in the front wheel and fork, causing the rider to flip.
At first I didn't see the p4 in the front wheel. I would sue the p4 operator.

It would help if you took the time to read the thread before posting.
Why? How would reading 4 pages "help"? It is clearly photo shopped. Have to be blind as a bat to not see how fake this is.

Looks pretty real to me.. besides don't most of these race bikes not have front brakes? Only rear.
1308db7d0ae67c302eae101eabf60b41.jpg
2699686ccaf522294b2408b7a2ba64d8.jpg

Can clearly see the phantom stuck in the spokes of the front wheel. Lol that guy folded like a lawn chair!
Photo shopped. The drone wasn't stuck in his front wheel for 100 yards and then decided to trip him up. This is fake as fake news gets. Now, had the guy crashed immediately and not kept his composure the additional 100 yards, THEN there is a possibility of being believable. However, as-is, no cigar, my friend.

Why? How would reading 4 pages "help"? It is clearly photo shopped. Have to be blind as a bat to not see how fake this is.

It might have helped in the sense that it might have prevented you from posting nonsense. Are you suggesting that the video was "photoshopped" frame by frame?

Photo shopped. The drone wasn't stuck in his front wheel for 100 yards and then decided to trip him up. This is fake as fake news gets. Now, had the guy crashed immediately and not kept his composure the additional 100 yards, THEN there is a possibility of being believable. However, as-is, no cigar, my friend.

On the other hand, maybe there is absolutely nothing that could prevent it.

Who's to say the pilot wasn't miles away and experienced a "fly-Away"? NO ONE! Really should wait for the facts to come out before judging! I had a friend flying at a local AMA field and experienced this. 2 miles away is a large soccer complex. He lost all contact and control of his drone and it landed on one of the soccer fields..luckily between games. They tried to say the same thing about him..said he was flying over the soccer games on purpose! Luckily everyone at the AMA field that day knew what happened! Moral of the story? Don't be so **** quick to call people idiots!

Reactions: Helihover
Why does one need to do something stupid until blanket laws are passed to prevent it?

I just watched the video again and I gotta say that indo was totally done on purpose. In fact I think I can see his hand/arm make the motion to brake.

The debris from the UAV were all on the ground at the time he indoed. If debris was going to cause an accident like this, it would have happened right after the impact, not 5 revolutions at 40 mph later.
Part of the drone caught between the spokes causing the cyclist flipped over.

I'm not going to get into the real or fake debate. I DO ride a bike and took a look at the front wheel of mine. Someone said the wheel made 4 revolutions before the crash. I think it was more. Looking at my Phantom and the clearance between the forks and the spokes how was the wheel able to make 4+ revolutions before locking up? Even taking the wheel off I couldn't get the Phantom between the forks. Why didn't he start to slow down when the Phantom got into the wheel? At 35-40 mph he wouldn't have had time to come to a complete stop in that distance, but could have reduced his speed quite a bit.

For one not to "get into the real or fake debate" I think you just did. LOL

DJI manufactured the device, some with obstacle avoidance. If this was a P4P, why did it not avoid the tree?

As the posted photo illustrates, this was NOT a P4. It was a P2 or P3 looking at the battery

Ah.... hello?! I KNOW these cyclists - not fake, THIS is why you read the previous posts. You don't just look at one photo and yell "FAKE"!

As a matter of fact this was all the talk today on the "Saturday ride" in which I participate... and these were some of the people that were there and SAW IT HAPPEN.

Get a grip and do some reading before propagating clams that things are fake that you know nothing about or bothered to read up on.

Reactions: sgf and sar104
As the posted photo illustrates, this was NOT a P4. It was a P2 or P3 looking at the battery

Exactly, my guess is P2 since it is within the geofence of the Mather Air Base only 2 mile away and I doubt a more modern DJI product would not even spin up the props...

Ah.... hello?! I KNOW these cyclists - not fake, THIS is why you read the previous posts. You don't just look at one photo and yell "FAKE"!

As a matter of fact this was all the talk today on the "Saturday ride" in which I participate... and these were some of the people that were there and SAW IT HAPPEN.

Get a grip and do some reading before propagating clams that things are fake that you know nothing about or bothered to read up on.

Unfortunately this thread is now attracting a second round of repetetive, uninformed, drive-by comments. Maybe time to lock it?

Reactions: FLYBOYJ and N017RW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT