Drone Crashes Right in Front of Cyclist, Causing Nasty Wreck

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just watched the video again and I gotta say that indo was totally done on purpose. In fact I think I can see his hand/arm make the motion to brake.

The debris from the UAV were all on the ground at the time he indoed. If debris was going to cause an accident like this, it would have happened right after the impact, not 5 revolutions at 40 mph later.

What's an "indo"?

And what, exactly, would you say is stuck in his front wheel as he goes over the bars?

fullsizeoutput_8fa.jpeg

Have you ever ridden a bike?

Reactions: BigAl07
I am from this area and was at the stage 1 of this race on Saturday the day before this incident... where he was flying had a tree lined course and spectators all along the way, in addition to the peleton of riders doing 30mph. VERY sketchy flying conditions even for an excellent pilot... even if this were "OK" to do.

Now for what he did wrong:

1) 107 or hobbyist, does not matter he was flying over people.

2) Also he was only 2.5 miles form a large controlled airport (Mather Field) in class D airspace and I find it unlikely he gained FAA permission to fly over people since I have not found ONE waiver granted to do that or (as a hobbyist) contacted the tower 3 days prior to his flight.

3) He was stupid - but no laws or rules against that...

Where are the crowds of people?

What's an "indo"?

And what, exactly, would you say is stuck in his front wheel as he goes over the bars?

View attachment 81893

Have you ever ridden a bike?

endo? indo? hell IDK When you apply front brake and lift the back tire off the ground AKA a stoppie.

No, I have never ridden a bike SA.

Thanks for the pic

Small pieces of a P3 could make it very hectic for a road bike with skinny tires going 30 mph. If this was staged the guy who took the tumble is either the world's greatest stuntman or addicted to extreme pain.

Reactions: DraftedByTheMan
Looks like cyclist took a while to panic and hit front brake to crash. Doesn't look like the UAV actually crashed him but instead made him make a mistake and crash. Either way, UAV operator was wrong and dangerous. Even looks staged but can't believe someone would actually deliberately crash himself like that

Huh? Did you watch is really? Notice only very small pieces of debris & 1 battery and no large portions of the aircraft until 34 sec when the majority of the airframe finally brought the front wheel to an immediate stop. As the rider goes head over heels (literally) you can see the a/c come into frame firmly lodged in the front wheel. If you miss it at 34sec you can catch it again (and in slow mo) at 1:14. To make it even more visible sar104 did a screen shot.

This was NOT staged/fake and it shows what could happen. Fortunately the rider only had minor injuries.

In the eyes of the FAA if at any time your AC comes into contact with people in any way you were "flying over people" and if this were a Part 107 operation I would love to hear what the FAA would have to say about it.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ and sar104
Huh? Did you watch is really? Notice only very small pieces of debris & 1 battery and no large portions of the aircraft until 34 sec when the majority of the airframe finally brought the front wheel to an immediate stop. As the rider goes head over heels (literally) you can see the a/c come into frame firmly lodged in the front wheel. If you miss it at 34sec you can catch it again (and in slow mo) at 1:14. To make it even more visible sar104 did a screen shot.

This was NOT staged/fake and it shows what could happen. Fortunately the rider only had minor injuries.

In the eyes of the FAA if at any time your AC comes into contact with people in any way you were "flying over people" and if this were a Part 107 operation I would love to hear what the FAA would have to say about it.

This thread is quite disturbing. Even the direct and incontrovertible video record of this event has been met with bizarre and illogical assertions that it was somehow staged. How would that even have credibly happened? Even disregarding, for a moment, the obvious video evidence showing the drone stuck in the bike wheel (or was that CGI?), was the Phantom crash part of the plan, or did the cyclist just randomly take advantage of that crash to attempt a life-threatening maneuver? And to what end? I'd venture that no sane person who rides either road or MTB would deliberately full endo, even for money, especially not in a road race with other cyclists around. It hurts, and often breaks body parts. Riders have died from that type of crash.

But we still have the video, even though it almost seems that many posters didn't actually watch it before commenting. I understand the tendency for good old pig-headed denial that a drone operator could possibly be responsible for causing injury but, seriously, this is ridiculous. What does it take to get some people to concede that they were wrong? Is this another example of the "any news I don't like is fake news" phenomenon?

yep! thats how this hobby is eventually going to get completely banned for hobbyists.

Yeah, just like cars have been banned after the millions of reckless drivings that takes place all the time causing accidents....[emoji23]

Here is a pretty good frame grab at 1:16 in the video.... Looks like it might even be a P2 version?...... in the slow-mo you can see the battery plug type at 1:04 in the video...

CritCrash03.jpg

I'm not going to get into the real or fake debate. I DO ride a bike and took a look at the front wheel of mine. Someone said the wheel made 4 revolutions before the crash. I think it was more. Looking at my Phantom and the clearance between the forks and the spokes how was the wheel able to make 4+ revolutions before locking up? Even taking the wheel off I couldn't get the Phantom between the forks. Why didn't he start to slow down when the Phantom got into the wheel? At 35-40 mph he wouldn't have had time to come to a complete stop in that distance, but could have reduced his speed quite a bit.

Reactions: THA
I'm not going to get into the real or fake debate. I DO ride a bike and took a look at the front wheel of mine. Someone said the wheel made 4 revolutions before the crash. I think it was more. Looking at my Phantom and the clearance between the forks and the spokes how was the wheel able to make 4+ revolutions before locking up? Even taking the wheel off I couldn't get the Phantom between the forks. Why didn't he start to slow down when the Phantom got into the wheel? At 35-40 mph he wouldn't have had time to come to a complete stop in that distance, but could have reduced his speed quite a bit.

The answer is likely that initially it was just sucked up between the wheel and the down tube, which would have slowed the bike somewhat by friction, and then one of the arms eventually flipped around and was caught between the spokes and the fork, which immediately locked up the wheel and caused the endo. I've had that happen with small branches.

Reactions: BigAl07 and N017RW
Just saw the video on Fox and Friends. Just more bad publicity and they weren't bashful about jumping on the "Drones bad" bandwagon.

Reactions: pomonabill220
Just saw the video on Fox and Friends. Just more bad publicity and they weren't bashful about jumping on the "Drones bad" bandwagon.

That's not surprising. It was clearly an accident, but enabled by a poor choice of location to fly and crash. Not dissimilar to road race crashes caused by spectators, vehicles, dogs etc. straying into the road, but not at all helpful to the perception by the public of drones and drone users.

I chatted with the rider that crashed - it did not initially go directly into his spokes... and he was able to slow down quite a bit before it got sucked further into his spokes and caused the front wheel to lock up. Had he not been able to slow down somewhat the outcome would have probably been different, still he is lucky to go over the bars (OTB in cycling lingo ;-)) and not break something. Initially on that par of the course his speed was about 28-32 mph before he started slowing down...

I would not call it "crowds" in this particular spot, but people here and there lining the street.... he was flying OVER people in a very tree congested area - just plain stupid. I am pretty sure the FAA will be looking into this, and unfortunately for all of us... rightly so.

Exactly. I counted 3 people total on the left hand side and zero where the UAV crashed. I was seen parking structures and empty parking lots. The UAV came from the left hand side, it wasn't flying over the cyclist.

So here a serious question for you experts. If I were flying in an empty parking lot over nobody and lost link, crashed into a tree and then it feel on a bicyclist, would I be the idiot?

I chatted with the rider that crashed - it did not initially go directly into his spokes... and he was able to slow down quite a bit before it got sucked further into his spokes and caused the front wheel to lock up. Had he not been able to slow down somewhat the outcome would have probably been different, still he is lucky to go over the bars (OTB in cycling lingo ;-)) and not break something. Initially on that par of the course his speed was about 28-32 mph before he started slowing down...

Did the rider say anything about the operator offering to pay for the damaged bike parts? Or him filing suit?

The public will always blame the drone operator, right or wrong. No win situation. It's the same with aircraft, the first blame is " pilot error" until proven different. If the media gets it we know how that will end too. Lost link, crash into a tree, or sudden wind gust, shouldn't make anyone an "idiot" it happens.

Exactly. I counted 3 people total on the left hand side and zero where the UAV crashed. I was seen parking structures and empty parking lots. The UAV came from the left hand side, it wasn't flying over the cyclist.

So here a serious question for you experts. If I were flying in an empty parking lot over nobody and lost link, crashed into a tree and then it feel on a bicyclist, would I be the idiot?

It's not difficult to come up with scenarios in which the operator cannot reasonably held responsible for an accident. You could be flying miles from anyone else and have a hardware-failure-driven flyaway, resulting in the drone flying into a congested area and causing damage and injury. At the other end of the spectrum, you could be flying over that same congested area to begin with, crash into an obstacle, and achieve the same result. So presenting the question as you did serves as a good reminder not to jump to conclusions, but also cherry picks an explanation that may not be very likely or credible in this case.

We don't, as far as I can see, have confirmation of the circumstances of this crash but, if it wasn't the distant flyaway scenario (has one of those ever actually been documented to have happened?), and since there was an event that might well be the reason for flying in the vicinity, then it was likely pilot error in flying into the tree. Flying into a tree on the side of a road on which a public road race is taking place is poor piloting at best and, given the proximity of the tree to the riders, is not going to pass the "fly responsibly" and "don't fly over people" requirements.

But you are still correct in your underlying point that the cause of the Phantom crash is not yet known. Presumably you are now accepting that the Phantom took out the cyclist though.

Reactions: Helihover
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT