Drifting in hover after T10J conversion

Reaction score
I decided to upgrade radio and the receiver in my P2. I bought a Futaba T10JH which came with a new receiver. I took the stock receiver out and installed the Futaba receiver. I did an IMU calibration and calibrated the compass. I also got the switches on the radio configured to reproduce the stock radio controls as well as adding a few additional functions. I got switches for auto pan, circle around a point and 45 degree gimbal tilt.

The problem I'm having is that my P2 no longer wants to hover very well. I've calibrated the controller sticks in Phantom Assistant software several times. But when I take off, my P2 wants to drift left and foward instead of hovering. I can use the trim switches to dial out most of the drift. But then I have trouble shutting down the motors after landing. And I'll get only blinking red LEDs if power up the P2 with any trim still dialed in from the previous flight.

I've lowered pitch and roll gains to 100% each but I haven't really seen any change yet. Should I keep lowering or is there something else I should be looking at? I used my android phone level app to check level of the NAZA when I did the IMU calibration and according to the app it was within 0.1 degree of level in both directions. I've got carbon fiber props instead of stock (broke the stock props and new ones haven't arrived yet). But I have balanced the props.

I've also tried to dial in null zones for elevator and aileron but it doesn't seem to help. When I look at the stick positions in the assistant software, the elevator and aileron values sit between +/-10 when the stick is centered and nothing I do seems to get the values to 0.

Did you calibrate the T10J sticks?

Bottom of next to last page in the manual.

N017RW said:
Did you calibrate the T10J sticks?

Bottom of next to last page in the manual.
The Futaba manual or the P2 manual?

You definitely do not want any 'trim' added to any channel.

I'd also revisit the compass cal. It's the only thing I did after replacing the Rx.
I first flew it without doing the cal. and it drifted right, rearward.
After compass cal. no problems.

Nope didn't try that. I give it a shot when I get home. Thanks.

Any chance of electrical interference where you did the Compass Calibration?

IflyinWY said:
Any chance of electrical interference where you did the Compass Calibration?
Highly unlikely. I did it in my back yard behind my house. All of my utilities and plumbing are in front or on the side of the house. Nothing is buried in the back. My cell phone was in the house at the time as well.

Remove all trim from the 4 stick channels.
Perform the Futaba stick cal process.
Hook up the Phantom to the PC and cal the sticks there too.
As indicated in the Assistant software graphics, all controls should move to each extreme and be near zero at center.

Check IMU status (cal if required).
Check compass values to DJI specs. (before trying to cal again) for a baseline.

Go outside.
Perform compass cal again.

Test fly.

I'll go through all that and report back once the weather breaks. Thanks.

Good luck.

SUCCESS!!!!!

Weather calmed down a bit as I was driving home this afternoon. I did the futaba calibration, checked the IMU (no calibration required) and calibrated the sticks in the assistant software. Took it out and put it in the air and its MUCH better. Still drifts sideways a hair but not constantly. It drifted a bit initially when I took off into a hover. I could keep it still pretty easily with just a bit of stick pressure. I flew it around the yard for about 10 minutes and the more I flew it, the more it seemed to settle down. It would still drift a bit sideways here and there but it was pretty easy to keep in one place with just a bit of stick pressure no and then.

I might roll 10% off the gain and see what that does. But if it never gets better than it is right now I could probably work with it for the most part. A million thanks to everyone who has offered advice to me here. I was so frustrated with this thing when I first got it that I was ready to sell. With the advice and help of those here, I'm now flying it with lots of precision and predictability and I can't wait to produce images with it.

Awesome.

Don't judge it on just one flight.

Some drift will occur.

Don't make drastic and/or multiple changes (at once).

Alter, analyze, repeat, or retreat until results are satisfactory or optimized.

N017RW said:
Awesome.

Don't judge it on just one flight.

Some drift will occur.

Don't make drastic and/or multiple changes (at once).

Alter, analyze, repeat, or retreat until results are satisfactory or optimized.

Plus 1

and

Nice call N017RW, ya done good. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl