Does anyone else feel lost here?

pault said:
Pull_Up said:
pault said:
Finally, the cynic in me suspects there may be a financial motive in setting up the new site. I really hope I am wrong and it was done for the greater good of all but if it starts to become festooned with adverts as some other r/c sites are, I will be off immediately !

Actually I disagree with you there a little. I think Adam deserves to monetize this site - the guy's already got 2 day jobs and it's unfair to expect anyone to devote a lot of time to anything without at least getting running costs covered plus being able to take a reasonable "hourly rate" .....
..... )
Not sure if we are talking at cross purposes here but just to be clear I would have no problem with Adam introducing some more targeted advertising here as he has proved (imo) that financial gain was not his main motivation for starting this site.
(providing that they do not become an assault of your eyes like another well known r/c site)

The point I was trying to make was that the new site was introduced to us as being complimentary to this one and to be a useful resource for UAV pilots and it is this stated intent that I am a bit suspicious of. As I said, I hope I am wrong and the motives are altruistic but time will tell .....

Gotcha, but I still think anyone doing anything (on the internet or elsewhere) that is going to be of benefit to others and isn't selling it by the pound always deserves to not be out of pocket by at least trying to off-set costs from day one. Otherwise you might lose a potential new service, idea or useful resource from someone who was prepared to do all the work (altruistic with their time) but couldn't afford to actually put it together (hosting fees, s/ware licences, bandwidth, equipment, so on). But you're spot on - a brand-spanking new website or forum stuffed to the gunwhales with Adsense is a definite pointer towards someone thinking "how can I make money on the internet" first, rather than wanting to build something of use and value to others.

Shrimpfarmer said:
So not long now then for the reforms to start. Looking forward to seeing the new structure and mods sorting the place out.
I think it was only moderators was it not that Adam was talking about by Sunday night?

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:
Shrimpfarmer said:
So not long now then for the reforms to start. Looking forward to seeing the new structure and mods sorting the place out.
I think it was only moderators was it not that Adam was talking about by Sunday night?

Well thats a start.

For every car I've own, I've been a member of a forum for that car. They have always had a "dealer" section or "group buy" section. These are extremely helpful in saving me money for items I had been eye balling anyways. For example, normal price for a cold air intake is $500 but for every 10 people that wanted to buy one, the price would drop $20. A $500 cold air intake ended up costing me and everyone else $280. That was a fantastic deal and I ended up buying 2 and selling the second on ebay for $400. A $500 intake ended up costing me only $160.

The same thing could happen here. The difference is that for the car forum we were buying directly from the manufacturer and not a dealer. So if 1uas.com was to offer a deal, they would most likely not go below their wholesale cost. But if t-motors or immersionrc was to come on and sell directly to us, they could offer a deal. It takes time to establish these sections of the forum but it is very clear that membership is there and the forum is active. I think it is possible and would be a huge benefit to the members.

Shrimpfarmer said:

I thought the new moderators were being flown to a secret central location for a strategy meeting to review restructuring goals, timelines, metods of implimentation and progress evaluation tools. And then kick back for a round or two of their favorite beverages. Not really sure in which time zone this meeting was announced so we could know when Sunday is or what time relative to our own time zone the meeting would end. Although actual visual changes may take some time, as their favorite beverages may include alcohol. If the meeting is in Colorado, USA, the meeting may not start, nor end in a timely fashion.
:cool:

Stickys are starting to appear :)

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:
Stickys are starting to appear :)

Maybe I spoke to soon, I think the ones I noticed might have been old ones. The Vision forum is not one I generally look at. Sorry for the false start.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Now now Irish, one more false start and you will be disqualified :) We were promised mods by this evening so I am sure they will be unveiled soon. ;)
lol

Actually I think there are two new subsections. Well at least I have never noticed them before. In the Vision and non vision sections there are now Mods sections at the top. This is not what Adam meant by mods in place by Sunday night is it? I thought he was talking about moderators......

Shrimpfarmer said:
Actually I think there are two new subsections. Well at least I have never noticed them before. In the Vision and non vision sections there are now Mods sections at the top. This is not what Adam meant by mods in place by Sunday night is it? I thought he was talking about moderators......
LOL. The one on the non vision forum at least has been there for a month or so - disqualified! :)

Adam has fulfilled his promise and has assigned moderators to the forum. Looking forward to better days ahead. ;)

Soooooo... I'm gonna throw out a question... Do any of the mods for the P2NV forum actually have a P2NV? I'm not seeing a high frequency of posts there.

"Cheers" to the new moderators and may your helpful posts not reduce in number due to your new duties.

Thanks for helping out. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor