Do Phantom Quads Acquire Satellites As They Fly....

Reaction score
Still no more flight time, accept for one initial flight, due to the poor weather these last 10 days.
If a satellite comes on line while a phantom is flying will it acquire the signal in flight or is all this done at initial start up?

It will drop and acquire sats while in flight. I usually start at 8 and in flight most of the time it has 10-13. I also have taken off with 8 and seen it drop to 5 and drift in ATTI mode.

I have taken off with 5 knowing it will pick up more with a little more elevation (10-15 feet). I just hover there until it locks home and then off we go. Doesn't happen often though

This is the norm for mine. I usually take off at 6 and eventually get to 8-10 as I'm flying.

fastsmiles said:
You must be in my part of Texas, the weather has been keeping me grounded.
Just wondered if it was as bad as mine? 2.1 degrees now and -9.1 last night. :(

Winter is here too. I had the top down on the convertible and after catching a sunset I had to turn the seat heaters on.

PhantomPhreak said:
Winter is here too. I had the top down on the convertible and after catching a sunset I had to turn the seat heaters on.
AW!, Bummer! That had to be a real bummer!

I think even the FC40 will acquire more sats after takeoff. It will also loose them, so watch out. Canyons and mountains can reek havoc with the signals.

I also think they just turn the satellites off to Michigan this time of year because it's too cold.
Poor Happy, we're shooting for 48 toasty degrees, with plenty of satellites on Friday, ha ha... :lol: :cool: :lol:

Happyflyer said:
PhantomPhreak said:
AW!, Bummer! That had to be a real bummer!

The weather didn't me from flying over here on the east side of the state. Was out flying this past Sunday and again yesterday after moving snow for 2 hours around the house.

All GPS receivers will receive multiple different signals at the same time. Unless it has filled all the available channels (usually a minimum of 20), it will add SVs as it finds them. Note that it will only lock into a given SV when the signal strength is high enough and the position data is received. When your Phantom reads 7, it could be receiving signals from 20 or more SVs and only have 7 locked in at that point.

IflyinWY said:
I also think they just turn the satellites off to Michigan this time of year because it's too cold.
Poor Happy, we're shooting for 48 toasty degrees, with plenty of satellites on Friday, ha ha... :lol: :cool: :lol:
They could take all GPS satellites and Geo Park them all over my house and I still would not fly when it is below zero outside. I don't even like it when 40 out. Fingers go numb. Gloves just don't work. :D
Jason,
Since I like my quad, and both of us hate the white crap(snow)with a passion, we stay inside and waiting and waiting for some indoor minis to arrive from Europe.
26 days of waiting.
:x

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel