Do I need a filter on camera for solar eclipse?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a nd filter is needed for solar eclipse. If so, what number filter would I need to use. Also, what is a cheaper, middle of the line brand, since it will only be used once? Thanks for any responses!!!

Does anyone know if a nd filter is needed for solar eclipse. If so, what number filter would I need to use. Also, what is a cheaper, middle of the line brand, since it will only be used once? Thanks for any responses!!!
If you looked at any pictures from your Phantom with the sun in them you'd notice that the sun (and a large area of the sky around it) is completely blown out - because the sun is much too bright for your camera to handle.
If you've seen any pix people try to take of the full moon, you'd notice that it's a tiny fuzzy spot in the image.
the extremely wide angle lens of the Phantom is about the worst thing you could use to photograph the sun or the moon.
If you want to get photos of the sun or the moon, use a real camera and telephoto lenses (and you'll need serious filters if you're shooting the sun).
filters for solar photography - Google Search
How to Photograph a Solar Eclipse from Nikon

Reactions: N017RW
I'm gonna have to agree with others and say it's a good idea but your better off using a camera. I was flying the other day and it was kinda cloudy but I looked up and there was a rainbow going around the sun. Even with the 30 degree extra up I couldn't get the shot with the phantom. I took a few pictures with my phone and you can see the rainbow but can't see the colors. When I get on phone later I'll post a picture. It was pretty cool cause I never saw anything like that before.
6a171f2f9342afd0e5fc0e2b7e4640a6.jpg

00d0929f10b643d0330db11c57ce192f.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94