DMV, DC / Maryland / Virginia

I seriously doubt that. Drones are not banned in the National Capital Area SFRA (they are restricted) so why would DJI disable them?

I can see this happening in DC's FRZ (15 mile radius) but not in the SFRA. If DJI did restrict our crafts, it's my understanding that we can get authorization to fly and/or self-certify our crafts. For DJI to completely disable our crafts in the SFRA doesn't make sense.

I guess I don't follow. The B4UFLY app (FAA's beta) indicates that the 30-mile radius is "Flying prohibited". Not just restrictions. DJI doesnt seem to have disabled it in the SFRA yet, but I'm still not clear on what the regulations are.
And to think the FAA app was supposed to make it clearer....

If you read the attached file in post #18 - specifically section 6c and 6d, you'll see flying is not prohibited in the SFRA. Flying in the SFRA simply requires authorization. '

Read the attached file, not the link. It's at the bottom of the post.

I hope they drop back the TFR from 30 to 15 miles again. This wipes out most of Md and a big chunk of Va.

A few things:

I think there's been a lot of misconceptions about this among UAV pilots.

First, it's not a TFR. It's not temporary.

Second, it has nothing to do with the White House. The diameter is measured from Reagan National Airport, not the White House. Both the FAA version and DJI's version are measured from the airport.

Third, DJI has apparently recognized they were being overly restrictive by disabling our crafts in their so-called no-fly zones, and they're fixing that in the firmware of their current crafts such as the P3, making it possible to self-certify your craft (presumably after getting specific authorization from the FAA) and thereby fly in a restricted area.

Fourth, it's my understanding that the restricted area has always been about 30 miles since it was formed in 2003. The 15 mile restricted area, within the 30 mile area, is an even more restricted area than the 15-30 mile area, but nonetheless, the entire 30-mile radius area is restricted and has been for over a decade.

Washington, DC Metropolitan Area Special Flight Rules Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, it's a huge area, but it doesn't necessarily wipe out our ability to fly. Presumably, it's possible to get authorization.

There is also a possible loophole in the language of the latest AC document discussing this - regarding "endangering the NAS." See attached document, specifically sections 6c, 6d, and 6e.

The document states that by law, the Administrator can take enforcement action against UAV pilots who fly in a restricted area and endanger the NAS. This seems to imply that if we DON'T endanger the NAS, the FAA won't or can't take enforcement action - not because they don't want to, but because the language of the current law won't allow them to - at least not yet.

Attachments

• AC_91-57A.pdf
    220.2 KB · Views: 219
I seriously doubt that. Drones are not banned in the National Capital Area SFRA (they are restricted) so why would DJI disable them?

I can see this happening in DC's FRZ (15 mile radius) but not in the SFRA. If DJI did restrict our crafts, it's my understanding that we can get authorization to fly and/or self-certify our crafts. For DJI to completely disable our crafts in the SFRA doesn't make sense.
Agreed. I have been getting calls out the wazoo for drone work since getting my 333, but any are within the 15 mile no-fly. If they extend the baked-in no-fly to 30 miles, I am truly fu7653d. I am proactively going to start looking for a DJI alternative that I can fly in the legal areas around DC with a clearance.

From what I can tell, you will likely be fine with a DJI. Fine, that is, provided you have a modern craft (P3 or better) and provided DJI updates their firmware regarding flight restrictions relatively soon. I wouldn't be surprised to see the ability to self-certify within the 15 mile radius.

Good luck with your venture.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
A few things:

Second, it has nothing to do with the White House. The diameter is measured from Reagan National Airport, not the White House.
Although yes it does extend from DCA, if it wasn't a security issue then it would have the same 5 mile radius as all the other airports. I was told by an FAA employee that when it went to 15-30 miles, it was based from DCA due to having the tower/ radio beacons, etc in place to notify pilots of their bearing in place. He said just because it centers from DCA doesn't mean it wasn't done to protect white house, etc.

Interesting.

I never heard of the "P56" zone. Good info.

Here is the best, clearest map I've seen yet of the FRZ and the SFRA. Just saw it today in another post.

Don't Fly Drones Here

You'll need to zoom in.

Obviously the words "no fly" in the url are misleading. The words "flight-restricted" would be better.

I hope they drop back the TFR from 30 to 15 miles again. This wipes out most of Md and a big chunk of Va.
Yes, this sucks. I have to be honest - the FAA is not too clear on what the rules really are, and that usually makes something anyone is doing risky because they are confused and unsure of safety. I hope they fix these issues and do not resist integration of sUAS into the airspace. They have already segregated airspace into 0-400 feet for sUAS and above for others. Limited flight around airports to 5 miles without ATC tower coordination is not a practical rule. ATC operators are overworked as is - they do not answer phones for sUAS's - given the explosion of them flying, is it even feasible? This could lead to an accident just by the FAA inaction. Of course they would blame it on sUAS operators if it occurred, but who really is at fault?

Bad news. The 15-mile limitation around DC is very real and it means no-fly not just an altitude restriction.
My p3 took off hovered at 3 ft for a few seconds and flashed a No-Fly message and came back down.

I've tried this in three locations - in Fairfax mantua neighborhood, in Burke Lake and in Vienna. Same results!
On a brighter note, I have great video of Reston town center which is just outside of the radius. See pic below.

I wouldn't let that determine whether to buy or not. Flying it around your house gets old very quickly and you'll find yourself driving out west to nice areas. I think this is a great area to fly.

View attachment 28951

Navin I live on the edge of Reston Town Center, when I saw your photo I wondered if someone had copied one of mine! I have had no problems flying in and around several of the parks and lakes around here, but I only fly when they are quiet. There are several parks in the area that are owned by the Reston Association if you are concerned about the restrictions on NVRPA locations.

Reactions: Navin Ganeshan
i live outside of Baltimore but typically go to my farm in central pa a to fly. its to restrictive around here and drone fliers are demonized like gun owners.

Reactions: aka1ceman
I fly in the columbia, Md area. If you live there let me know where your fly. I fly in a big field around a open business park. Large open field, good for practice. I will eventually have to go elsewhere due to Bordem.

Yeah, I think they screwed up. It's not a no fly and it's not new news. Media tends to get this kind of stuff wrong frequently because they want to be the first to report it. But there is nothing new about this.

Glad to see so many others in the same area/boat as I am too. There are so many nice places to fly but if they lock it down to 30 miles from DCA, it makes owning a UAV worthless. Why should the stores be allowed to sell them in this area that would be so large and so restrictive? (it's a rhetorical question)

The question is, why is the government so paranoid as to restrict folks with an arial camera within 30 miles of DC?

I have to drive a few miles to be outside the 30 miles but places I go to regularly are not, like my marina, we have to sail or motor for 2 miles there too yet it is in the middle of nowhere in relative terms.

This area gets worse every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: aka1ceman

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl