DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

Register your DJI drone before it turns into a toy by Jose Antunes - ProVideo Coalition

I purchased my DJI quad based on the performance specifications at the time of purchase. DJI cries at their users to keep all software current. So, by following that suggestion, the quad is now performing so far below the initial expectations as to render the product useless unless the user also complies with the DJI edict to register. Or doesn't update the firmware.

Based on that alone, I think I am entitled to a refund. Moreover, it's not DJI's responsibility to enforce local laws. I will go elsewhere for my needs in this regard going forward. DJI is not the only game in town.

Reactions: GolfPro8888
'RESTRICT NON-COMPLIANT AT NEXT SOFTWARE UP-DATE"...?

My knowledge of electronics is limited to what my generation knew - so please be patient with me - here's some background for my question.

I just bought and placed into operation a Phantom 3 "standard". (from Crutchfield) ( as a side-note, it was sold to me as, and received in a box marked "re-furbished". I suspect "refurbished" means, translated into English....brand new excess production ...! The unit is terrific - and of course appears brand spanking new in every respect. ).

Anyway, I registered it and now have their "GO" program in both my I pad and my cell phone. Couldn't be happier with how it works using either (got it about a week ago )

Here's what I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. If I do nothing further - no up-grade - simply use this outstanding equipment the way it is now, am I safe from any modificaitons ? Why would anyone want to up-grade what is already fantastic. What am I missing here ?

I just hope the only hobby ive ever had is not ending soon. I live on 20 acres in the country just enjoy getting any weather shots and vids. Im willing to wait and see though how it turns out for us all

"Just in case" is the right interpretation of this new requirement by DJI. They are probably under pressure, due to serious treats, from governements all over the world. Drone's rules are continuosly changing, they are confused and often mismatching with other rules .. and more, DJI wants responsability away ...
Probably nothing is going to change right now, but they keep an official door open on our drone hobby/profession "just in case...they do need that!", the same, probably, many other appliances have (TV, cell phones, tablets, PC&Mac, etc...). If, for example, US FAA wants to ground all drones for any reason (serious reason) just ask a Judge's mandate and then to DJI, bingo in few minutes. Don't forget they are chinese company, where gov't is in everything ...

The only thing that pisses me off about this is I will be leaving for Florida on Saturday and am bringing my drone. Now I have to test this on Friday while I'm busy with everything else. I would hate to travel all the way with this and have to deal with nonsense when I'm trying to relax and fly, ruins the mood.

That's as stupid as the ridiculous nonsense being put forward by the pitchfork mob.
I am of the mindset that more accountability generally equals better society but constantly moving a goal post only encourages people to not comply. Some of us have lives and this is just one more thing to deal with as DJI can potentially block you from flying if you don't comply with firmware updates which are often bad and need soak time.

this is just one more thing to deal with as DJI can potentially block you from flying if you don't comply with firmware updates which are often bad and need soak time.
DJI could potentially come and steal your car but they don't ... just like they don't force you to comply with firmware updates.
Ease off on the overactive imagination and worry about things that are real.

DJI could potentially come and steal your car but they don't ... just like they don't force you to comply with firmware updates.
Agreed, you always have a reasonable sense of logic in your responses!

Register once for multiple quads or for each one I wonder...
Yeh that be good ,,I have a few,,,like others but have litchi,,going to reinstall go 4 and before p4 just to stay up with the play,,

But they have forced a firmware update on us a couple months ago after they released that version where home points were being erroneously set, and Phantoms were flying away.
So they can do it again IMO.

But they have forced a firmware update on us a couple months ago after they released that version where home points were being erroneously set, and Phantoms were flying away.
So they can do it again IMO.
That was an app update (not firmware) and they didn't have any other option because the version it replaced was causing big problems.
Since then and before, DJI have shown no interest in enforcing updates on anyone.

So, it's Friday and we were supposed to have received the update by the end of the week -- what's the deal? I just checked the DJI website and NOTHING!

Brian

This is weird ... I just noticed that there IS a new Go 4 app as of 25May2017 but there is no listing of new firmware on the DJI website. It was my understanding that bu the end of this week there would be both a new Go 4 app AND new firmware.

Brian

This is weird ... I just noticed that there IS a new Go 4 app as of 25May2017 but there is no listing of new firmware on the DJI website. It was my understanding that bu the end of this week there would be both a new Go 4 app AND new firmware.
It's not weird. DJI never said they would also be releasing new firmware.

It's not weird. DJI never said they would also be releasing new firmware.

Well maybe my mind is slipping, but I seem to remember that there was to be both a new app and new firmware this week. The GEO database, I would think, would need to be in either the bird or, more likely, the RC as it's not 100% necessary, as best I understand it, to have the Go app to fly.

Brian

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart