DJI Spark Q&A (Your Questions Answered)

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
Q: When will the DJI Spark start shipping?
A: The first orders are estimated to start shipping on June 15th.

Q: When can the DJI Spark be purchased?
A: You can pre-order the DJI Spark right now from here from DJI or here on Amazon.

Q: Does a remote controller come with the DJI Spark?
A: The base $499 package does not include the remote controller. For now, you must buy the Fly More Combo if you want the remote controller. DJI has the DJI Spark remote controller listed here for $149, but it's not available for purchase yet.

Q:
Is the DJI Mavic Pro remote controller compatible with the DJI Spark?
A: Tahoe Ed confirmed it's not compatible here.

Q: What's included in the box?
A: The base DJI Spark package includes the DJI Spark aircraft, 6 props, 1 battery, battery charger, micro USB cable, and a storage box.

Q: What's included in the Fly More Combo?
A: The Fly More Combo includes everything in the base package, plus 2 extra props (8 total), 1 extra battery (2 total), remote controller, prop guards, battery charging hub, and a should bag.

Q: Which new flight modes does the DJI Spark include?
A: The following new flight modes are included: Coordinate & Direction TapFly, QuickShot (takes professional shots for you with Rocket, Dronie, Circle, and Helix), and new PalmControl, Follow, Beckon, and PalmLand Gesture modes. You can see the flight modes in action here and here.

Q: Are the DJI Goggles compatible with the DJI Spark?
A: Yes, they will be compatible after an upcoming DJI Goggles firmware release. The DJI Goggles connect to the DJI Spark remote controller via a USB cable.

Q: Is DJI Care Refresh available for the DJI Spark?
A: Yes, it's available for $59. See more details here.

Q: What is the range of the DJI Spark?
A: ~10 ft when flying with hand gestures; 328 ft (100 m) distance & 164 ft (50 m) height when flying with a mobile device; 1.2 miles FCC (500 m CE) when flying with the DJI Spark remote controller.

Got a question that you cannot find the answer to? Ask it below.

Last edited:
Yes, Wi-Fi only.

Will the controller have an hdmi out for my. headplay hd goggles? How does the controller connect to your phone, is it wifi or by cable?

Reactions: NewZed
This is probably a stupid question, but why is the hover time less than the flight time?

Max Flight Time 16 minutes (no wind at a consistent 12.4 mph (20 kph))
Max Hovering Time 15 minutes (no wind)

It comes with "on-board software that mitigates shake and shutter roll". I guess this is electronic stabilization? I.e. what you see commonly in phones?

Does anyone know the wifi range differences between using phone and using the controller ?

This is probably a stupid question, but why is the hover time less than the flight time?

Max Flight Time 16 minutes (no wind at a consistent 12.4 mph (20 kph))
Max Hovering Time 15 minutes (no wind)

its not a dumb question at all, but the reason is because of the characteristics of the design. The Mavic is the same way. Unlike the Phantom series which are essentially symmetrical from all directions, the Mavic and the Spark have a more aero-efficient style design, which means it actually takes less effort to move forward because it gains lift, then it does to maintain its position because it has to force lift. This effect is called effective translational lift or EFT, its a helicopter thing.

Does anyone know if the DJI GO 4 app supports the use of a gamepad, like the Sony PS3, to have physical joy sticks? I have tried flying with the on-screen virtual joysticks and that is not very satisfactory.

Wifi only Mike, no Lightbridge?
WiFi, if properly implemented, can be very solid. I have no complaints flying a Parrot Bebop 2 that uses the same 2.4 & 5 GHz WiFi method. No disconnects when flying within reasonable range and clean, fast FPV video display. I would expect DJI's implementation to be just as good. One spec that I have not been able to find is the downlink video display latency. Has anyone found that?

Will the controller have an hdmi out for my. headplay hd goggles? How does the controller connect to your phone, is it wifi or by cable?
No HDMI out that I have seen. From what I understand, the controller connects to Spark and your phone connects to the controller via wifi.

It comes with "on-board software that mitigates shake and shutter roll". I guess this is electronic stabilization? I.e. what you see commonly in phones?
Correct. Many of us believe the camera records video at 2.7k, yet due to all the shake in the 2 access gimbal it digitally stabalizes the movement that can't be dampened by the gimbal, and thus only puts out a 1080p video... but one that is very smooth.

DJI may unlock this in the future and let us record at 2.7k with the warning that there is the possibility of jello with movement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan