DJI Phantom drone crash at the Grand Canyon

Reaction score
Wish "justsomeguy" was still here, 'cuz I'm speechless. I can't get passed the dog sitting of the lap of the driver, let alone the quadcopter and canyon climbing part of the video without commenting about safety. Sorry...just overreacting.

Buk said:
Wish "justsomeguy" was still here, 'cuz I'm speechless. I can't get passed the dog sitting of the lap of the driver, let alone the quadcopter and canyon climbing part of the video without commenting about safety. Sorry...just overreacting.

That was spectacularly stupid. If he had at least set up a line and rappelled in it would have been somewhat defensible, but traveling unprotected on steep loose terrain above a cliff band is just dumb. And then he climbed a tree to recover the device.

The saddest part is I think he still does not truly understand what a moron he is. The GCNP also has strict rules about climbing down off trail. I've spent a good deal of time in the canyon, he was one tiny misstep away from slipping and becoming a prime candidate for the Darwin Award.

Taking off with 30% battery left?? Really??

He compounded his stupidity by posting the video to YouTube. You know the FAA and NPS are both going to be very interested in this. And it only gives them further evidence that despite most of us being reasonable mature adults, there is an irresponsible element out that justifies in the minds of the regulators that strict rules need to be written to control all of us.

SilentAV8R said:
And it only gives them further evidence that despite most of us being reasonable mature adults, there is an irresponsible element out that justifies in the minds of the regulators that strict rules need to be written to control all of us.

There have been strict rules in place at the Grand Canyon for over two years. RC aircraft are banned.

The mere existence of regulations does not equal control. This has been proven by thousands of years of human behavior.

This guy is just one of the latest examples.

I think that was awesome, great job on the video, you guys are funnier than **** and this should not get negative **** from viewers.

acekirk said:
I think that was awesome, great job on the video, you guys are funnier than **** and this should not get negative **** from viewers.

I think the poster Ed covered just about everything:
"Nice video but yes, you are a moron, double moron to publish this. I'm glad your girl didn't get to witness your fall and subsequent rescue or body recovery, which could have happened. I do believe that we should allow Darwin to cull the herd because it is entertaining as hell. I only complain because I have a Phantom and don't want to see my freedoms curtailed because of your fine work.... *******."

This is too hard to process.

I would never fly my Phantom out in places like the Grand Canyon with less than 70% of battery left just in case something like that would happen.

How was it even stressed test? In calm winds?

LOL I always make sure I am back on the ground at 30%.

The mirror is dead also. Looks like he has learned his lesson.

That's weird that the mirror isn't available. That video served up some valuable lessons.

Once something is in the public domain it's out there for good.

[vimeo]93916825[/vimeo]

Hmmm... I don't understand why the state park system is so hard on UAV's. :roll:
That could of easily been a life saving rescue by a professional search & rescue team.
Man, don't try this at home people.

Lol I was so tempted to send him a message today on youtube and tell him he should take this down. I saw it when it had less than 1k hits and knew he was heading for trouble. I agree with the poster above me, if he had a repel line I wouldn't think he was as stupid.. but still messing with the park service and probably committing a felony in the process isn't worth 1k in equipment (when it could have been avoided in the first place by having a charged battery).

thanks for finding the re-host.

i'm not defending anything here but i would be dumb enough to climb down after my bird too :-/

I don't understand why people try to fly it so close to the end of the battery. Hell, I won't fly it over anything except a stable surface if the battery is under 50%. In my last video when I was filming surfers I did that at the start of the video. Once I hit about 50% - 55%, I brought it back to get some coast line shots to run the battery down lower.

In general, I won't run my batteries under 25% (Unless it's a VERY low ground hover, like a selfie). Every few runs with the batteries, I will run them to 16% by landing and just letting the blades spin. This was a value that was recommended on a few different posts about batteries.

I have seen it start to lose lifting power when the batteries get under 25%.

Be safe ... and if you want longer flight times, buy some extra batteries. Yep, they are expensive but way cheaper then replacing the whole **** drone.

I cut out the stuff before they got to the Grand Canyon and posted it on Facebook as a public file..... :)

Thanks Panhygrous Pantler for finding that video. Totally nuts. I have hiked to the ranch at the bottom twice and to plateau point and would have really liked to have had a 'copter with me IF legal. Could have gotten some wild video.
I would have to think twice about the loss of my bird.....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl