DJI Phantom 3 Revealed!

Which Phantom 3 version is the best value?

• Total voters
I'm referring to the big picture, not a specific regulation. Each country has their own refulations around drones.
My bet is if DJI releases a quad with no autonomous flight, it may help them bypass a given regulation.
I'm not sure return home would be considered autonomous. ?

I'll take that bet.

There won't be a 'loophole' that big.

I'm saying in real life there's no difference. If I want my face 1 inch from my 75" Samsung, then maybe so.
I don't think you've seen enough 4k video to say that in fairness. I install thousands of 4k android tv boxes and while streams are limited at the moment if you watch a 4k Video on a Samsung 4k 8series tv compared to any 1080p set you see an amazing difference in the real world. Please trust me on this it's part of my business

yea, but a decent 8 or 9 series is a couple grand too much at the moment. When its closer to $1500 I may end up with one. But I've had my series 8 1080p next to a decent 4k tv and picture on my Samsung was wayyyy better even though its not 4k (I was playing 4k content on both from a usb 3.0 flash drive)
maybe if I sat 2 feet away from the screen I can see more fine detail, but on the cheap 4k tvs you lose overall picture detail, like dark areas may end up all black and not show what is really there, or colors are too saturated and if you actually calibrate the picture it will still be worse than a series 8 Samsung with default settings. worst part is the stutter. Any series 8 or above will have a smooth picture, a 4k even with 120hz will have stutter, where fast action scenes are not smooth, drives me crazy...

I don't think you've seen enough 4k video to say that in fairness. I install thousands of 4k android tv boxes and while streams are limited at the moment if you watch a 4k Video on a Samsung 4k 8series tv compared to any 1080p set you see an amazing difference in the real world. Please trust me on this it's part of my business

Mine too. I'm an IT director for a MCN and YouTube, Warner Bros. partner. Been an avid A/V buff since the days of Super VHS and Betamax. What I'm saying is that the human eye cannot discern 4k from 1080p at certain distance thresholds. That's a scientific and biological fact of what detail our eyes see.

Here's a good article. http://www.cnet.com/news/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

I have to agree with this - We have a 84' LG 4K display at work and it really is awesome.

I only ever film at 720 on my P2+ so that I can use 60FPS. If I had the P3 then I would probably shoot at 1080p60 rather than 4K but at least with 4K you can crop the video which can be really useful.

I really need to turn my laptop off now before I end up buying a P3 :) I've not even had the P2 for 2 months!

full

Am I the only one who is "meh" about it?
I mean, I love new things and I always want the newest. But when it comes to this, I feel an "all-in-one" - much like the other visions - have a higher cost factor for breaks and repairs.

Although the range is great.

I guess that's the double edged sword. Costs more to fix, but it's all set up to get the max of everything...and in HD

Reactions: lake_flyer
speaking seriously and being honest i would wait for at least a couple months before buying a phantom3

we all know dji and how crappy their products can be (for example phantom2 v3 with the esc failure)

for sure ill buy a phantom 3, but ill keep flying my old phantom 2 with my gopro until i read enough comments proving that this new phantom is a real evolution and safe to fly.

Generally speaking they didn't even iron out the firmware issues with the Inspire 1 and they are quick to release another problem for all of us to work out at our own cost!!! Have at it[emoji6]!!

Having looked at the Inspire 1 and the "aggressive flyaway" issue, not to mention I previously owned an AR.drone that exclusively used sonar instead of GPS, I am feeling " meh" too. I will be interested to see what the quality of the camera is like, the latest buzzword is "4K" and every camera /drone must have it. It's a tick-box. It doesn't mean it's good 4K. I read an interesting article by the head of Panovision (John Galt) and his contention was that the quality of the lens and the fps rate was much more important in making video look sharp and correctly coloured.
I have a Gopro 3+ black and that doesn't have a fish-eye effect if you don't want it, I suspect the Gopro 5 will be considerably better.

Reactions: chapsrlz
...I suspect the Gopro 5 will be considerably better.

for sure the gopro will be much better, so will be the iphone 7, 7+ and the 7 non plus ultra, and the phantom 4, inspire 2 and tbs discovery pro plus, but for now we only have the phanotm3, hero4 and iphone 6 :)

for sure the gopro will be much better, so will be the iphone 7, 7+ and the 7 non plus ultra, and the phantom 4, inspire 2 and tbs discovery pro plus, but for now we only have the phanotm3, hero4 and iphone 6 :)

So...for those people buying a Phantom 3 in May on the strength of the camera being 4K, they will have about 3-4 months before the Gopro 5 comes out with 8K resolution, or 4K at 60fps. Would be fascinating if DJI got into an arms race with Gopro and quickly came out with a Phantom 4 with 8K. Wasn't there a rumour of a Gopro gimbal at one stage? DJI are firmly and squarely in the niche camera business now, that's an interesting position to be in.

who owns a 4k tv/monitor?

we all are worried if the camera shots at 4k, 5k, non plus ultra high density retina display 32k or higher resolution but what for?

people who is in the business, and by that i mean professionals, dont shoot with a gopro, they carry a 5d, and the rest of us who shot with a gopro usually upload the videos to youtube/vimeo where 10080p is more than enough (thats the quality shown on an ipad)

got my point?

True. I shoot with both and they end up on the web or DVD. I have had NO calls for 4k..ever

who owns a 4k tv/monitor?

we all are worried if the camera shots at 4k, 5k, non plus ultra high density retina display 32k or higher resolution but what for?

people who is in the business, and by that i mean professionals, dont shoot with a gopro, they carry a 5d, and the rest of us who shot with a gopro usually upload the videos to youtube/vimeo where 10080p is more than enough (thats the quality shown on an ipad)

got my point?
No, resolution on its own isn't important. But if you have a good high resolution sensor, a good lens and a fast processor to give high fps and clear sharp video with a good dynamic range, you can zoom in on detail. Where weight is too important to squander on an optical zoom lens, that is important.

8k really???
4k tv broadcasts are still 2 years away. Slow down a minute, a lot of tv stations still haven't left SD behind. More and more people will be buying 4k tvs and be able to watch pure 4k streams but only with decent broadband connections. If people start talking about us flying drones with 8k cameras I think they need to leave the planet and come back in a few years when technology catches up with their runaway minds

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT