DJI Mavic 2 confirmed by Argos (specs & model names)

Haasalblad. The name conjures up images of astronauts on the moon. Expensive medium format film cameras. Full spread magazine shoots.

Except that in the modern era, Hasselblad has been relegated to a bit player. It's digital efforts were canned long ago.

Now it gets interesting, to quote Wikipedia:

"In late 2015, aerial photography and drone manufacturer DJI acquired minority interest in Hasselblad. In early January 2017, some reports, citing reliable sources, indicated that DJI had since acquired majority interest. These reports have not been verified by either company to date but have not been denied.[14] In July 2018, Dji's Mavic 2 pro drone was advertised by UK based retail shopping company Argos. This drone was the first to carry a camera featuring the Hasselblad branding."

So, DJI bought out whatever is remaining at Hassy. Basically, the name. And then they stick it on the Mavic 2.

So we really have no idea what actually is on the craft. A brand new, in house sensor and optics package? Perhaps, DJI just might be big enough to justify that. Maybe. A new rebranded Sony? Maybe somebody else.

Basically it is wait and see as always.

Actually, I see it bit differently.

No doubt before the DJI infusion of cash, more likely than not Hasselblad was in trouble. They were selling MF digital backs with their camera body and lenses. The MF market is very limited due to the costs. However Hasselblad's X1D, helped to revolutionize the MF industry, in that it provided an excellent product, at much lower cost than current MF offerings. The X1D has had huge sales world wide and is still considered 2 years after announcement, to be state of the art in both camera design and technology. By late 2018, we should see the follow on to the X1D, with a 100MP sensor, more than likely selling in the 1st quarter of 2019. DJI offered Hasselblad what they did not have both a lot of cash and a very good technical department to help with the development of the X1D. The only other real competitor in the MF digital market is Phase One, again a very small company, that sells to a very selective market.

I really don't believe that the "Hasselblad" camera in the Mavic Pro 2 will be much more than the current camera in the P4 Pro, and the sensor odds are will be the same. The sensor due to size is very limited to to both DR and issues around diffraction (these are due to the sensor and I don't think to much can be done optically to improve on this). However this is the first DJI usage of the Hasselblad name for the masses. I believe DJI/Hasselblad did release a camera drone combo using the 100Mp digital back by Hasselblad, but again the cost factor of that product is in the 40K range.

Hasselblad is not dead, and DJI did not close down the company's HQ in Sweden. In fact that organization has grown since the DJI movement. I am looking forward to the specs on the Mavic Pro2, as based at least on the pictures it will have huge potential. Hopefully DJI will be releasing these new products sooner than later.

Paul C

Reactions: With The Birds
Do we know if it has variable aperture? Have not seen info on this anywhere.

My biggest concern about the MP2, is whether or not it has aperture adjustments, because if not I’m definitely not going to deal with that again. Im sure it will be a force to reckon with overall, but without aperture adjustments, I’m out. FWIW, when the Phantom 5 finally rolls out, I'll forget all about the MP 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: DKG13CC
Looks like they are taking their cue from Yuneec camera body design...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl