DJI Goggles Tips

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
Here are some tips to help you get started with your DJI Goggles:

1) When activating the DJI Goggles via the DJI Assistant 2 application, make sure you're using DJI Assistant 2 version 1.1.0-2 (or higher). Older versions of the DJI Assistant 2 application will not prompt you to activate the DJI Goggles. If needed, you can find detailed DJI Goggles activation instructions here.

2) New firmware can be installed on the DJI Goggles via the DJI Assistant 2 application. If needed, you can find detailed DJI Goggles firmware installation instructions here.

3) When connecting the DJI Goggles body and headband together, you should hear an audible snapping sound as the two pieces connect. If they are not fully connected, the LED lights will not show the proper power level when the goggles power button is pressed and you will not be able to power on the goggles.

4) Turn the IPD (Interpupillary Distance) knob on the bottom, right of the DJI Goggles body to set the distance between your eyes (this knob is not labeled). When not set properly, the picture will not be as clear and/or appear to be doubled.

5) If the picture is blurry on the bottom corners of the goggles, then slide the goggles down a bit (they are too high on your face). If the top corners of the image are blurry, then slide the goggles up a bit.

6) A tutorial is available in the "Tools" --> "Settings" menu inside the goggles. Once in the "Settings" menu, you'll need to scroll to the bottom of the list to find the "Tutorial" menu item.

7) Swipe down with two fingers on the DJI Goggles touch pad to enable the head tracking modes. The touch pad is on the right side of the DJI Goggles body.

Got any good tips I missed? Please share them below.

Last edited:
Here are some tips to help you get started with your DJI Goggles:

1) When activating the DJI Goggles via the DJI Assistant 2 application, make sure you're using DJI Assistant 2 version 1.1.0-2 (or higher). Older versions of the DJI Assistant 2 application will not prompt you to activate the DJI Goggles. If needed, you can find detailed DJI Goggles activation instructions here.

2) New firmware can be installed on the DJI Goggles via the DJI Assistant 2 application. If needed, you can find detailed DJI Goggles firmware installation instructions here.

3) When connecting the DJI Goggles body and headband together, you should hear an audible snapping sound as the two pieces connect. If they are not fully connected, the LED lights will not show the proper power level when the goggles power button is pressed and you will not be able to power on the goggles.

4) Turn the IPD knob (on the bottom, right of the DJI Goggles body) to focus the picture. This knob is not labeled.

5) If the picture is blurry on the bottom corners of the goggles, then slide the goggles down a bit (they are too high on your face). If the top corners of the image are blurry, then slide the goggles up a bit.

6) A tutorial is available in the "Tools" --> "Settings" menu inside the goggles. Once in the "Settings" menu, you'll need to scroll to the bottom of the list to find the "Tutorial" menu item.

7) Swipe down with two fingers on the DJI Goggles touch pad to enable the head tracking modes. The touch pad is on the right side of the DJI Goggles body.

Got any good tips I missed? Please share them below.

So regarding (4) - they do have diopter adjustment? Several reports have suggested that they don't, and that you need to be able to focus pretty close in to use them.

'IPD' is an interpupillary distance adjustment, not focus (diopter). I don't think they have a diopter adjustment.
Right -- there isn't a diopter adjustment. Sorry for the confusion.

As I noted above, it's only an IPD knob. It just allows for setting the proper distance between your eyes. The picture seems out of focus (to me) when the knob is not adjusted properly -- which is why I described it as such above. I'll edit that description to try to explain it better.

Last edited:
Is there a remedy for an out-of-focus screen?

Last edited:
So regarding (4) - they do have diopter adjustment? Several reports have suggested that they don't, and that you need to be able to focus pretty close in to use them.
The goggles allow you to wear your glasses while using them.

I think the no diopter thing is puzzling. Yes you can wear glasses which is fine for near sighted but those of us who hang readers off the tip of our nose will have problems when raising and lowering the goggles to get VLOS. seems really short-sited of them. (Ok ok, I'll show myself out now... please tip you're waitress)

The goggles allow you to wear your glasses while using them.

Which is good, but unless you use single-vision reading glasses that may not work very well, as reported by a few reviewers so far. Of course there may also be technical reasons with the design that make diopter adjustment impractical, in which case dedicated glasses for using the goggles may be the only solution.

Reactions: smiller
Maybe I got a lemon but my complaint is that if you don't wear/need glasses, The image should not be blurry. (waiting for an email and hoping for an RMA.)
Which is good, but unless you use single-vision reading glasses that may not work very well, as reported by a few reviewers so far. Of course there may also be technical reasons with the design that make diopter adjustment impractical, in which case dedicated glasses for using the goggles may be the only solution.
This is my fear. But why wasn't it reported in any of the many videos posted by the big guys.

Exactly right, in fact I'm going to be forced to return my goggles for this very reason. Focus is close but not quite correct with my distance glasses and I don't use reading glasses and generic reading glasses won't work for me so I would need a set of prescription glasses just to use the goggles, not gonna happen. The lack of a diopter adjustment may not matter for many but for another probably large group of people it's going to be a critical shortcoming

The optics system seems to have a narrow focus range for some reason, and it's a shame because even a slight adjustment would be enough but unfortunately there is none. I think you will be reading more about this as more goggles get into users' hands, but suffice it to say that if you have a strong eyeglass prescription or some uncorrected presbyopia then you are likely going to have problems with the goggles.

Last edited:
Exactly right, in fact I'm going to be forced to return my goggles for this very reason. Focus is close but not quite correct with my distance glasses and I don't use reading glasses and generic reading glasses won't work for me so I would need a set of prescription glasses just to use the goggles, not gonna happen. The lack of a diopter adjustment may not matter for many but for another probably large group of people it's going to be a critical shortcoming. I think you will be reading more about this as more goggles get into users' hands, but suffice it to say that if you have a strong eyeglass prescription or some uncorrected presbyopia then you are likely going to have problems with the goggles.

My prescription isn't very strong, but it is also not simple so I can't use generic reading glasses either. I designed a custom, progressive prescription for computer and reading use which is almost certainly not going to work with the goggles, so I guess I will be creating another prescription for single focus at 9 inches, or whatever it turns out to be. I'll figure it out when I get them, but I would have preferred diopter adjustment in the goggles, similar to on the Cinemizers, if that were possible.

My prescription isn't very strong, but it is also not simple so I can't use generic reading glasses either. I designed a custom, progressive prescription for computer and reading use which is almost certainly not going to work with the goggles, so I guess I will be creating another prescription for single focus at 9 inches, or whatever it turns out to be. I'll figure it out when I get them, but I would have preferred diopter adjustment in the goggles, similar to on the Cinemizers, if that were possible.
Yeah, but I mocked something up that worked temporarily and the trouble with a separate prescription is that when you tilt up the goggles you will need to remove the glasses to see the drone at any distance, so you are then juggling with multiple pairs of glasses and the controller in your hand (assuming your are using a Phantom), all the while trying to balance the flipped-up goggles on your head which are pretty ungainly in themselves. I could tell pretty quickly that there was no way this was going to work for me.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I mocked something up that worked temporarily and the trouble with a separate prescription is that when you tilt up the goggles you will need to remove the glasses to see the drone at any distance, so you are then juggling with glasses and the controller in your hand (assuming your are using a Phantom), all the while trying to balance the flipped-up goggles on your head which are pretty ungainly in themselves. I could tell pretty quickly that there was no way this was going to work for me.

Well that's going to be true of any situation that requires corrective lenses, since there is no way that the goggles could reasonable correct for anything other than spherical. I guess the trick is to find a presciption that works both for the goggles and the controller/phone/tablet. Nothing is going to work for the goggles and distance viewing.

Well that's going to be true of any situation that requires corrective lenses, since there is no way that the goggles could reasonable correct for anything other than spherical. I guess the trick is to find a presciption that works both for the goggles and the controller/phone/tablet. Nothing is going to work for the goggles and distance viewing.
That's my point. Spherical error is all I have and if I could make even a slight diopter adjustment to the goggles then it would be all good, I'd just leave my normal glasses on and if I needed to flip up the goggles I'd have my normal distance vision. But without the adjustment I'd have to flip up the goggles, remove the 'goggles glasses', then put on my normal glasses, all while juggling the controller and balancing the goggles on my head. Not impossible, but a PITA, and it is clear that sooner or later either the controller, goggles, or a pair of glasses would end up smashed on the concrete in front of me.

Spherical error is all I have and if I could make even a slight diopter adjustment to the goggles then it would be all good, I'd just leave my normal glasses on and if I needed to flip up the goggles I'd have my normal distance vision. But without the adjustment I'd have to flip up the goggles, remove the 'goggles glasses', then put on my normal glasses, all while juggling the controller and balancing the goggles on my head. Not impossible, but a PITA, and it is clear that sooner or later either the controller, goggles, or a pair of glasses would end up smashed on the concrete in front of me.

I guess I'll find out whether it is an acceptable solution when I get mine, since I have fewer options. I can see that for your situation it is going to be annoying though.

Speaking as someone who wears 1.75x readers only, the glyph had IPD and an adjustment so I could use them without my readers. Every SLR and DSLR has this ability for the viewfinder. It seems like an oversight. (Good grief this thread is punny)

Reactions: sar104
Speaking as someone who wears 1.75x readers only, the glyph had IPD and an adjustment so I could use them without my readers. Every SLR and DSLR has this ability for the viewfinder. It seems like an oversight. (Good grief this thread is punny)

I wonder if the lack of adjustment is related to the very large field of view. It seems, from the reviews, that it is substantially wider than any of the competing products, or other things like viewfinders.

I guess I'll find out whether it is an acceptable solution when I get mine, since I have fewer options. I can see that for your situation it is going to be annoying though.
My vision situation is pretty common, just simple myopia with some spherical correction and some mild presbyopia which I pretty much ignore, very typical for a middle-aged person. The trouble seems to be that the optical system in the goggles seems to have a narrow focus range which results in 'close, but not quite there' focus for me with my normal glasses. I've done a lot of experimenting and it seems that the only solution is a pair of dedicated glasses for the goggles, which come with all the attendant problems I noted above. Maybe this is just me, i don't know, but I have very typical vision issues and I'd be surprised if this problem doesn't turn out to be fairly widespread for glasses wearers. Maybe contact lenses would work better, I don't know. In short, I can't say if it will or won't work for anyone else but I can say that regrettably it isn't going to work for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl