DJI GO 4.0 INFO

Apple is about as fast at approving apps as DJI is at shipping ;)

Except Apple's App Store approval process is sitting at 3 days (it was 2 last week) on average. I've dealt with the App Store review process a few times and except for the beginning when they were getting the kinks out and were terribly understaffed, it's never taken more than a business week (5 days). Most of the time, it's 1-3 days.

This isn't an Apple issue.

Reactions: Jason Porembski
Except Apple's App Store approval process is sitting at 3 days (it was 2 last week) on average. I've dealt with the App Store review process a few times and except for the beginning when they were getting the kinks out and were terribly understaffed, it's never taken more than a business week (5 days). Most of the time, it's 1-3 days.

This isn't an Apple issue.

Absolutely isn't an apple issue at all. 3 days is the longest Apple has taken in over a year at approving an app. The reality is, if DJI is saying 1st half of December, they haven't even submitted it yet.

Reactions: Jason Porembski
Absolutely isn't an apple issue at all. 3 days is the longest Apple has taken in over a year at approving an app. The reality is, if DJI is saying 1st half of December, they haven't even submitted it yet.

Exactly. Or they submitted it with some kind of flaw that caused it's rejection outright.

Neither case is very comforting.

Christ, it looks like crappy Chinese software may delay actual operation of the P4P until the crappy Chinese software is fixed. iOS not ready until mid December and the Android version not playing well with the earlier version. WTF am I supposed to do if I need BOTH versions of Go for my Inspire 1 Pro and for the P4P? How the hell can they not know about this possibility? Do they only test things in a sterile sandbox?

Brian

Heh. I just got banned from the Official DJI Phantom owners group on Facebook for posting essentially what I posted above. What a pile of crap.

Not really. Litchi uses the DJI SDK, so that needs underlying support for the new bird before it can be used. That support comes from the stock DJI app.

Apple development really does have lots of hurdles to jump over. I can confirm from experience that it's NOTHING like getting any app into the Google Play store. That said, DJI knows this and should have planned better. I have been in sales for 25 years and the last two weeks of December are always worthless. That fact is known for the entire year leading up to it. Same for Apple iOS development/App Store submissions. It's a known fact that Apple isn't quick - plan better. That simple.

Reactions: ringolong
Apple development really does have lots of hurdles to jump over. I can confirm from experience that it's NOTHING like getting any app into the Google Play store. That said, DJI knows this and should have planned better. I have been in sales for 25 years and the last two weeks of December are always worthless. That fact is known for the entire year leading up to it. Same for Apple iOS development/App Store submissions. It's a known fact that Apple isn't quick - plan better. That simple.

For the most part, I agree... but I will say that in my experience Apple's app store review process is usually just a few days in-process. But even if it took a week or two, DJI should have submitted the app a month ago to be ready. Developers can set "go live" dates on their apps, so it's not like the app would leak any DJI products or show up too early.

And yeah, the Google Play store is pretty much "upload app, put on store." Their "review process" is essentially a formality.

That said, I'm guessing DJI's software development processes probably aren't exactly "optimal." Especially considering their history with buggy firmware and apps and delays.

And yeah, the Google Play store is pretty much "upload app, put on store." Their "review process" is essentially a formality.
Well they do perform various checks for malicious code, etc. But yes, Google exercises less oversight while Apple's control freak mentality means that their approval process is much more lengthy. Just one of the many differences between the Google and Apple philosophy.

Clearly, from the DJI wording of the iOS delay, it's a DJI issue creating the delay and uncertainty of the release date, and not Apple. DJI hasn't even submitted it to Apple yet, and doesn't know when they will, as they are still coding it! Their first priority was Android, for the P4P+ built-in screen, and that will continue to be the case going forward, with their priority of development being for their own Crystalsky Android based tablets.:cool: That's one the many reasons I chose the P4P+ over the P4P.

So my P4P from Aerial Media Pro is due to arrive on Monday, December 5th. If the software is not out yet, am I a complete moron if I go out and try out the drone in a nearby park with the controller only? I am brand new to drones but figure it's probably good to learn to fly these things 'blind'. Not planning on going up 200 feet. Just some gentle maneuvers to get the handle of simple things like take off/landing, yaw, etc. Thoughts?

It won't work without some kind of display on it.

You have to register it before you can fly it for the first time.

It won't work without some kind of display on it.

You have to register it before you can fly it for the first time.
Correct. You need the app to be able to register it. Borrow a supported Android device.

Correct. You need the app to be able to register it. Borrow a supported Android device.
agreed...but be sure to "borrow" from one of the stores that have been messing with us...The Egg..BB...not a local independent...

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I have both iOS and Android options and have used both to fly my Inspire 1 Pro so as long as the Android app actually works and doesn't clobber my legacy Go app that I need for the Inspire I guess I could be good to go. There is the reports of the two versions not playing nice that has me worried.

Brian

I have both iOS and Android options and have used both to fly my Inspire 1 Pro so as long as the Android app actually works and doesn't clobber my legacy Go app that I need for the Inspire I guess I could be good to go. There is the reports of the two versions not playing nice that has me worried.

Brian
As long as both are not running at the same time, they should play independently and nicely with each other, according the Bladestrike. Kill off the one you aren't using, before loading the one you need to use, for each bird.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94