DJI GEO Coming to Your P3 Soon

Folks, Brendan from DJI here. Sorry I didn't spot this thread earlier, there is a lot of misinformation in it. The focus is on aviation safety and national security only. This has NOTHING to do with so-called "personal" no fly zones. The AirMap public beta site is for demonstration purposes and is not what we are implementing. AirMap is a provider of airspace data (airport locations, live TFR information, stadium TFR schedules). That's it. Currently, the DJI geofencing system is not flexible. A fenced-out area is fenced out, even if you are, say, at an airport with approval to do a flight demonstration at an airshow. A major point here is to make the system flexible so that YOU can figure out whether you have authorization in various locations and make an educated and informed decision for yourselves. We are bringing this decision-making back to the pilots (except in areas where we have not seen a path to approval, such as in Washington DC). Please watch the video of my presentation announcement, or at least read the FAQ.

Press Release and FAQ:
DJI Introduces New Geofencing System for its Drones | DJI

Video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, far too many ignorant people believe exactly that. Purpose doesnt define a name. Function does!
Which is what my comparison was about with guns. Ignorance, perception, and bad news media, 1 clown doing something with their quadcopter, bad news reports, are items that have and will cause many unnecessary restrictions and,legislation. Get ready its coming.

Last edited:
Its amazing what a little presence from the company that IS the center of all things talked about here makes in a conversation. Thanks for the info!! I hope to see more of your incite.

Folks, Brendan from DJI here. Sorry I didn't spot this thread earlier, there is a lot of misinformation in it. The focus is on aviation safety and national security only. This has NOTHING to do with so-called "personal" no fly zones. The AirMap public beta site is for demonstration purposes and is not what we are implementing. AirMap is a provider of airspace data (airport locations, live TFR information, stadium TFR schedules). That's it. Currently, the DJI geofencing system is not flexible. A fenced-out area is fenced out, even if you are, say, at an airport with approval to do a flight demonstration at an airshow. A major point here is to make the system flexible so that YOU can figure out whether you have authorization in various locations and make an educated and informed decision for yourselves. We are bringing this decision-making back to the pilots (except in areas where we have not seen a path to approval, such as in Washington DC). Please watch the video of my presentation announcement, or at least read the FAQ.

Press Release and FAQ:

Video:

Thank you.

Press Release and FAQ:

Video:

Thank you.
Thank you, because there has been a few instances where we need flexibility to coincide with approval to fly from authorities, etc

Not that I disagree with you, but I think you need to let dictionary.com know that they are wrong that since DJI P3 does do what is in the definition below, that they are not to include it because its a quadcopter instead........
drone
[drohn]
noun
the male of the honeybee and other bees, stingless and making nohoney.
  1. an unmanned aircraft or ship that can navigate autonomously,without human control or beyond line of sight:
    the GPS of a U.S. spy drone.
  2. (loosely) any unmanned aircraft or ship that is guided remotely:
    a radio-controlled drone.
a person who lives on the labor of others; parasitic loafer.

Once again this goes back to my original comparison with guns. PERCEPTION is key

The problem with perception is that its generally those with limited education that develop a misguided perception. Guns, drones, photoshop, google. All terms used by the masses that only a select few actually know what it is that they are talking about when the terms are used.

Its far easier to teach a person the real MEANING of a term than it is to stop them from using it completely.

The word DRONE is NOT a scary word. It has a very simple meaning. Use it proudly! And TEACH people that it isn't scary!
Guns aren't scary! Stupid people using them IS. I carry EVERYWHERE, partially to SHOW people that their fear is misplaced
Photoshop is a product, a noun, not a process or verb! Any idiot can edit a picture! Its impossible to "photoshop" anything!
As is google. google cant be a process or action. Its a place. There are hundreds of PLACES that do the same thing as google.

Thanks for the update, Brendan! I was excited when I saw that you had joined DJI awhile back. I believe we have a very good voice for the operator with you in the lineup, thanks!

The problem with perception is that its generally those with limited education that develop a misguided perception. Guns, drones, photoshop, google. All terms used by the masses that only a select few actually know what it is that they are talking about when the terms are used.

Its far easier to teach a person the real MEANING of a term than it is to stop them from using it completely.

The word DRONE is NOT a scary word. It has a very simple meaning. Use it proudly! And TEACH people that it isn't scary!
Guns aren't scary! Stupid people using them IS. I carry EVERYWHERE, partially to SHOW people that their fear is misplaced
Photoshop is a product, a noun, not a process or verb! Any idiot can edit a picture! Its impossible to "photoshop" anything!
As is google. google cant be a process or action. Its a place. There are hundreds of PLACES that do the same thing as google.
This has been my sentiments exactly. Not a comparison between FAA and ATF, but more of an acknowledgement that what is now beginning to plague this hobby, has plagued many other items and hobbies in the past with not so happy consequences coming down from legislators due to not actual facts but by negative news media influencing how new laws , restrictions, etc. become implimented.

I don't believe that video recording with the drone for commercial purposes is permitted without some type of 333 waiver A P3 is a hobby device. If you want to go beyond line of sight or go higher as stated by the previous poster I think you need to build your own unit or buy something designed specifically for that purpose. This is a hobby unit Most troubling part of this entire conversation is that the tightening of regulations has been brought about by people that disregard the rules and regulations of this hobby the acts of a few has caused changes for all of us

And with my last above statement, I was afraid DJI was going to unnecessarily add complications to the situation by for example of adding noflyzonrorg to publicity and not to look out for its owners. (Which now has been cleared up)

I don't believe that video recording with the drone for commercial purposes is permitted without some type of 333 waiver A P3 is a hobby device. If you want to go beyond line of sight or go higher as stated by the previous poster I think you need to build your own unit or buy something designed specifically for that purpose. This is a hobby unit Most troubling part of this entire conversation is that the tightening of regulations has been brought about by people that disregard the rules and regulations of this hobby the acts of a few has caused changes for all of us
There are no changes beyond those that exist simply because MRs exist. Remember, they DIDN'T not too long ago!

I see this a s a very positive step.

That's the key thing for all of us to remember here. It's a step. Not the destination...we're going to go through a lot of turmoil over this for a while until we get it settled down. Patience is key and getting involved with your lawmakers by sending mail or joining forces with the AMA to argue for regulations and rules.

Can't just sit by and complain if you're not doing anything about it and we do have the tools to do something about this. Don't even have to leave our house.

I watched the presentation and it was clear that DJI was advocating pilot judgement rather than hard controls. A very well put together argument.
I watched it also. It was well presented. I will be interested to see the final implementation, and have suspended auto-update to see what is done before upgrading. If it is as explained, I will upgrade and welcome the update.

I
New no fly zones that comply with FAA guidelines along with further limitations will be implemented in an upcoming firmware release in Dec. This will implement real-time exclusion zones around prisons, power stations, and other facilities in addition to airports and other flight facilities. It will incorporate TFRs and other temporary restrictions.

An opt out system will be available once you register with your credit card but it will still not allow you access to sensitive areas like Washington DC. No further specifics are available and it is unclear what DJI will do with your registration and credit card information should you decide to bypass the system. Will they pass that information to the FAA?

The restriction data will be provided by AirMap, a company that shares ownership with another company called noflyzone.org that allows people to request personal no fly zones over their property. It is not clear if the personal no fly zones will also be included.

I doubt this will go down well. DJI continues to move the goal posts for customers who already bought the product.

DJI rolling out a new system to keep drones out of restricted areas

AirMap

No Fly Zone
If the "Personal" no fly zones take effect, it should include ALL aircraft, such as Cessna 172's and Boeing 747's etc. Guess not. And at what minimum altitude would this encompass. Will it also include orbiting satellites. I knew there would be a flood of restrictions before long in our land of the free. Money, money, money.

As @olof Ekbergh said, it does appear to be very similar to the beta program.

One thing that will need to figured out is how to implement for the many who fly without Internet access. I'd guess the AirMap would still be available via smartphone as it is today, but that won't help to systematically restrict flight. Perhaps being able to cache the AirMap data in the GO app like we can do today with maps. One thing that concerns me is would they force every P3 owner to fly only with a wifi and GPS enabled device? We can only speculate, but I'd have to think that some work around will be implemented for wifi only devices.

As for personal NFZ's. When I checked AirMap last night, I was surprised to see several homes already registered in my area, as well as a couple of entire neighborhoods. One home is near a park in which I routinely fly, so I wonder if my P3 was that homeowners reason for registering. I sure hope that I wasn't bothering anyone!

Lastly, I think it's fantastic that we have been allowed to discuss this amongst ourselves as P3 owners without the thread being suddenly moved somewhere. Thanks!
Our highways in the sky are soon to be dead ends in the sky. A virgin market for the skills of hackers.

Only in Class B and Class C airspace plus any ADIZ or TFR areas. To the best of my knowledge there is no TFR over any hospital, prison, nuclear power plant or chiropractor's offices. But there is one over Disney parks...

...Only the FAA may regulate flight.
Only the FAA may create a no-fly-zone.
Also, Class D airspace is also regulated similar to Class B and Class C

This Airmap NFZ business is way over the top. Example. Every public airport in Oregon regardless of size and use has arbitrarily been included on their map. Even some of the very remote and rarely used locations. And, every airport has the 5 mile radius over it regardless of whether it has a contol tower or not and whether it has no landings/takeoffs per year or 1,000's per year. Some of these remote airports are dozens of miles from population or structures.

Also, Oregon passed a law in 2012 that if someone complains and says do not fly over my place, then the craft operator is required by law to keep the craft above 400 feet over their place. It is noted that the law has yet to be tested in court. So, in theory, in Oregon, it could be possible that you can't fly the craft since it has to fly above 400 feet and the FAA wants the craft to stay under 400 feet.

I'm glad I still have my P2 standard system. No wifi, no internet, no GO APP, no AirMap...all self contanined.

Be smart. See, hear, avoid. Fly safe.

This Airmap NFZ business is way over the top. Example. Every public airport in Oregon regardless of size and use has arbitrarily been included on their map. Even some of the very remote and rarely used locations. And, every airport has the 5 mile radius over it regardless of whether it has a contol tower or not and whether it has no landings/takeoffs per year or 1,000's per year. Some of these remote airports are dozens of miles from population or structures.
Let's not forget the class E air space that figures into the airports radius too. The map gets very colorful and busy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.